It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 18%  18%  [ 21 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 25%  25%  [ 29 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 23%  23%  [ 27 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 21%  21%  [ 24 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 10%  10%  [ 12 ]
7.5 (Decent) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 115
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:39 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1) (1.1). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/11/1980
Hawaii-based Private Investigator Thomas Sullivan Magnum heads to the airport to pick up an old Naval comrade, Lt. Dan Cook, and becomes suspicious when his friend doesn't show up. When Dan later turns up dead of an apparent cocaine smuggling gone bad, Magnum is adamant about his friend's innocence. He suspects Dan's death may have something to do with the top-secret assignment he had been working on and vows to uncover the truth.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:38 pm 
Founding Father

A most outstanding pilot, for a most outstanding series. This two-hour pilot has a gripping storyline, good pacing, and manages to introduce most of the key elements of the series. Some of the best Vietnam flashbacks of the series can be seen in this episode. The opening scene, with Magnum sneaking onto the estate to steal the Ferrari, is a classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:09 pm 
Maniac Emeritus

OK James, maybe you (or anyone else) can answer this for me....

So in the pilot, we have Dan Cook established as a good guy who's looking to take down Le Bull, but is tragically killed when he's punched in the gut and ingested cocaine packets burst in his abdomen, causing him to overdose and subsequently die.

HOWEVER, if Dan is such a good guy, how did the packets get into his stomach?

He obviously wouldn't have taken them voluntarily, and lets assume he was drugged or something, don't you think he would have some recollection of being drugged/knocked out/etc before he jetted over to Hawaii?

I love the show, but this was the one glaring plot hole I've noticed.

Anyonw else think this was a bit weird?

Aside from that, I think this pilot was awesome and pretty much sets up the Magnuverse (even though Higgin's has some sort of Pirate/Scottish accent when we're first introduced to him, and TC is an utter hornball).

:lol:

I had just though of this and was wondering if anyone else out there had some sort of logical reason for the Cocaine getting in the stomach of the late Lt. Cook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:27 pm 
Founding Father

Doc Ibold wrote:
I had just thought of this and was wondering if anyone else out there had some sort of logical reason for the Cocaine getting in the stomach of the late Lt. Cook

They don't really show it on screen, but the implication is the bad guys shoved it down his throat by force! Two against one, and the one guy Kono was pretty big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:24 pm 
Vice Admiral

James J. Walters wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
I had just thought of this and was wondering if anyone else out there had some sort of logical reason for the Cocaine getting in the stomach of the late Lt. Cook

They don't really show it on screen, but the implication is the bad guys shoved it down his throat by force! Two against one, and the one guy Kono was pretty big.

That's what I thought, too. They forced the packets down his throat just before they punched him. They wanted it to look like he had carried the drugs in even though he hadn't.

They do not show this but I don't think there is any other reasonable explanation.

Otherwise, Dan probably would have taken a taxi home to wait, alone, for the packets to make an appearance rather than getting Magnum to pick him up!

Last edited by eegorr on Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:44 pm 
Maniac Emeritus

Ah I see....

Makes sense. I just wish they had kind of made some sort of allusion or something like that (Bruising of the throat in the autopsy, tracing the decomposition of the bags).

But then again, it WAS 1980 and its not like they had all that CSI technology.

I'll just leave it well enough alone

ha ha ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:11 am 
Master Flub Spotter

I just received the script for "Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii." I've only read the first 13 pages, but it is very interesting. Most of what is in the script we see in the pilot, however, there are some interesting omissions. Pages 1 through 13 go from the opening sequene (describing the the Pacific and Magnum swimming, just as we see him in the pilot) to where Magnum drives through the gate.

Did you know the original name for the show was not MAGNUM. According to the script it was "CUTTER." :shock: In the script itself, I even saw a reference to Cutter instead of Magnum.

In the opening sequence of the script, Zeus and Apollo are more vicious than they actually appear in the pilot. For example, the script has them tearing the tape recorder apart in a frenzy. In the pilot, I think one of the lads picked it up in his mouth and brought it to Higgins.

The first shot of Inge and Greta in the script are in bed, (nude :shock:) not in their bikinis as in the pilot.

In the script, Robin inherited Higgins from his English Uncle, and indicates that Robin doesn't like Higgins, although Higgins doesn't know that Robin doesn't like him. During the opening scene, Higgins thought Magnum was trying to get Higgins fired.

The sequence where Magnum flashes back to Vietnam before he picks the lock on the beach gate is just as we see in the pilot. However, during that scene when they are waiting for TC to pick them up in the chopper and one of them says I wonder if TC forgot to set his alarm. At this point in the script, it flashes forward to TC waking up to an alarm and lights a cigarette and makes a phone call to call Robin's Nest as a diversion to keep Higgins occupied and help Magnum get onto the estate. TC dials Robin's phone and pretends to be someone calling on Robin's behalf and asks Higgins to wait for Robin to get onto the phone. TC then puts the phone down and goes back to sleep while Higgins waits on the phone.

In the pilot, Magnum starts to drive the Ferrari toward the gate and he says "Higgins you yo yo" (which was obviously added in post production). The script has Magnum saying "a_ _hole" instead of yo yo. :shock:

In the pilot, when Magnum drives through the gate followed by Zeus and Apollo, the lads don't make it outside of the gates before the gates close (although one of the lads almost gets decapitated when the gate closes on his neck). In the script, Magnum continues to race out of the estate and down the road followed by the lads. The gates closes behind them.

The scene that we are so accustomed to seeing when Magnum pulls over and removes the Ferrari top before speeding off is not in the script. The dialogue is there, but it has him saying this while driving down the coast.

It is interesting comparing the pilot to the actual script. Some of the dialouge in the script was either omitted or changed for the pilot. However, I was most surprised to see the description of Higgins. It seems that he is merely tolerated by Robin, not respected, as we have come to know Higgins in the series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:30 pm 
World Class Private Investigator

Pamela Susan Shoop's website has some photos from the MPI shoot.
http://www.pamelasusanshoop.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:05 am 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Wow, n!

What a great find! I had no idea something like that was out there on the 'net.

Thanks!

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:21 am 
World Class Private Investigator

golfmobile wrote:
Wow, n!

What a great find! I had no idea something like that was out there on the 'net.

Thanks!

golf

Just for giggles, check out www.annelockhart.com as well (re: Lest We Forget")

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next