Additional Flubs for "No Need To Know."
1. When Magnum tosses his blue duffle bag over the wall of the estate, the duffle bag hits the trunk of a palm tree on its way down and drops straight down. However, when Magnum climbs over the wall and drops in on the estate, the duffle bag is laying at the base of the wall, not the palm tree. The palm tree is nowhere in sight. The duffle bag obviously did not land at the base of the wall.
2. When Magnum picks the lock of the guest house in order to avoid the lads, he goes inside closes the front door and opens the peep-hole and says to the lads "hi guys." Magnum is then apprehended by two of the Brigadier's body guards. One of the guards, however, comes from the right of the door, which is where the top of the stair case ends. Thus, he was there all of the time, so, what took him so long to apprehend Magnum, and why didn't Magnum notice him when he first entered the guest house.
3. When the guy on the Catamaran (Sampson) taking pictures of the girls and Brigadier Folkes on the balcony, the Brigadier is wearing a white long sleeve shirt and khaki pants. One of his body guards is to his immediate right. However, when Magnum and Rick enter Sampson's apartment, they discover bomb making materials as well as several photos of the Brigadier. The photos of the Brigadier show the Brigadier in a white-dinner jacket with black bow tie. The problem with these photos is that the dinner party at Robin's Nest hasn't taken place at the time Sampson took the photos. The dinner party was later that night, so how could Sampson have taken pictures of the Brigadier in his dinner jacket and bow tie on the estates balcony?
4. When Magnum is meeting with Agent Hooker and Agent Dobey at the KKC, Magnum tells Hooker that he gets $200 a day. Hooker responds by saying "$200 a day, what are you trying to do, rip off your government?" Magnum replies, "I don't do that, but good will doesn't keep the finance companies and 'landlords' off my back." LANDLORDS? What landlords? Magnum lives on Robin Masters' dime. The two agents should have known this as they checked into Magnum's background before asking him to assist in protecting the Brigadier.
5. While still at the KKC, Agent Hooker agrees to pay Magnum the $200 a day he is requesting. Magnum raises his bottle of beer, says "cheers" and takes a sip, then puts the bottle down on the bar to his right. Agent Hooker says he'll give Magnum a number he can be reached at 24 hours-a-day, and Magnum tells Hooker about the catamaran he saw earlier that day. Magnum's bottle of beer is now suddenly on his left. The agents leave and now the bottle of beer is back on Magnum's right again.
6. The camera cuts to Higgins washing the Audi and focuses on the front license plate (Robin 2). The date on the upper right hand corner of the license plate is '76. The original air date of this episode was January 8, 1981. However, I'm not sure if this is really a flub, because I don't know if Hawaii requires automobiles to have a front license plate. Robin's Ferrari doesn't have one, so this could be an old plate that Higgins just happened to put on the front. I don't know.
7. When Sampson is in his apartment with the Audi gas cap, he looks at the photo of the Brigadier which he took. However, as previously mentioned, this photo is of the Brigadier in his white dinner jacket and bow tie. The only photos he took of the Brigadier were in his white shirt and khaki pants. The dinner party was in the evening and had not taken place when Sampson took the photos.
8. After the dinner party, Magnum asks Higgins how well he knows the Brigadier. Higgins replies that he served as his Sergeant Major in '51 in Hong Kong. This is 30 years earlier. Certainly the Brigadier wasn't a Brigadier 30 years earlier. More likely a Lieutenant. Typically a Sergeant Major is not under the command of a Lieutenant, although a Lieutenant is an officer and does out rank a Sergeant Major.
9. When Magnum takes off in the Ferrari to catch Higgins and the Brigadier before the bomb goes off in the Audi, Magnum is wearing a navy blue golf shirt and khaki pants, and is wearing his team ring on his left hand. The camera cuts to a close up of the interior of the Ferrari as Magnum (or his stunt double) shifts. Suddenly, Magnum is wearing blue jeans and the team ring is on his right hand, and the emblem is upside down too. Also, the Ferrari's alarm key pad is no longer in the car. Remember the alarm installed by Higgins in the first episode. While Magnum is trying to catch Higgins, the camera cuts to the interior close up three times.
This is one of my favorite episodes of Season 1, and includes one of those classic scenes illustrating the bonding between Magnum and Higgins. After the Sampson character was killed in the tidal pool, Magnum, Higgins, Agent Hooker and Agent Dobey are in the guest house discussing what took place. Agent Hooker doesn't want to talk in front of Higgins, because he has 'no need to know.' Magnum gets upset and tells Higgins he can stay if he wants to. Higgins says he has to look in on the Brigadier, but then Higgins says, "Magnum, I'm glad you're alright." Magnum is speechless.