RIP Robert Loggia

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: RIP Robert Loggia

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

Loggia was Magnum, P.I.'s first bad guy but I remember seeing him in countless TV roles over the decades. He was such a good and versatile actor. The one series he did that I did not get to watch was Mancuso, F.B.I. I hope it gets a dvd release.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumILWU »

T.H.E. Cat! He was Thomas, before Thomas was!
"pickled egg please"

BWheelz54
Admiral

#4 Post by BWheelz54 »

Hearing the sad news of Mr. Loggia's passing chased me to watch Magnum's pilot again. Man, was he great as La Bulle, or what? Mr. Loggia was only in the second part of the pilot, and his presence still helped launch Magnum PI into the stratosphere by providing the first episodes with such a great foil and nemesis for Magnum. I recall so many parts, but I must give a nod to the role Mr. Loggia played as the restaurant owner in Frazier, who Frazier offends by repeatedly asking for his portrait to be redrawn. Still makes me laugh. I feel lucky to have had the chance to enjoy Mr. Loggia's work.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Conch,
Thanks so much for letting us know about Loggia's death. When I was a kid, if I saw his name in the guest star credits I knew it was going to be a entertaining episode. Even if you didn't know the names, he was one of those actors you recognized immediately, people such as Robert Middleton, Robert Walker jr., Richard Deacon, Michael Dunn, Geraldine Brooks, Vic Morrow, Brenda Scott and the criminally over looked Don Pedro Colley.
These 'secondary' type stars don't seem to be around or developed in todays Hollywood. Everything is done so much on the cheap, producers aren't going to hire a 'name' actor like Loggia for a part when they can hire Joe Blow for much le$$.
Rest in peace Mr. Loggia

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KingKC »

Although Loggia was good in the Pilot Movie of MPI I wish he could have been a recurring character such as a crusty old, and serious, private detective who worked with Magnum a half dozen times or so like the character of Luther Gillis, only as I said, serious. I enjoyed Loggia in every role I saw him play including and especially his role in Jagged Edge.

KingKC

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

I thought I'd add this Mancuso, FBI clipping from TV Guide, promoting the debut of the 1989-90 series. Robert Loggia looked so cool...Mancuso should have team up with McCall from The Equalizer.

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KingKC »

Boy...if anyone ever had a classy but tough guy, "don't mess with me" look he sure did.

KingKC

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by No need to know! »

He was a great character actor, and made so many roles over the years both in television and film. Loved him in Innocent blood. Underrated movie by the way. I forgot that he actually directed two episodes of Magnum aswell.
Missing in action and Never again...Never again
Onion´s extra?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

BWheelz54 wrote:Hearing the sad news of Mr. Loggia's passing chased me to watch Magnum's pilot again. Man, was he great as La Bulle, or what? Mr. Loggia was only in the second part of the pilot, and his presence still helped launch Magnum PI into the stratosphere by providing the first episodes with such a great foil and nemesis for Magnum. I recall so many parts, but I must give a nod to the role Mr. Loggia played as the restaurant owner in Frazier, who Frazier offends by repeatedly asking for his portrait to be redrawn. Still makes me laugh. I feel lucky to have had the chance to enjoy Mr. Loggia's work.
He's one of the characters I would have loved to have seen more of in a flashback episode or two.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04