7.0 (Average at Best) 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 46
 Post subject: A Girl Named Sue (8.7)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for A Girl Named Sue (8.7). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/13/1988
Bank teller Susan Johnson returns to Magnum's life with a bang: having recently become a detective, she opens fire on him during an investigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:11 pm 
Founding Father

As a big Carol Burnett fan, I really wanted to like this one. Sadly, it falls short for me, mainly because of the predictable, cookie-cutter script and the one-dimensional, highly annoying, characters.

The Magnum/Susan scenes didn't seem to work as well here - they seemed a little too outlandish and forced. "Rembrand'ts Girl" was much better, IMHO. Susan's wardrobe also bothered me for some reason. I know she's supposed to be a throwback gumshoe, but did she have to look like she just walked out of a Dick Tracy comic book, or something?

This episode does feature what has to be one of the best Higgins "Oh My God!" deliveries ever, though!

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/oh_my_god_2.wav

:shock:

Truly terrifying! It's a good thing Magnum high-tailed it out of there before he opened the box!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:22 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

I also thought the chemistry between Magnum and Susan was much better in Rembrandt's Girl. They had some genuinely funny moments in the vault ("We're going to run out of air?!!!"), and a nice farewell back at the guest house.

Unfortunately, most of this episode feels like it's just recycling what worked before. Even the sight of Magnum caught in netting feels like an excuse for another silly Magnum visual (ala the sprinkler in Rembrandt's).

James J. Walters wrote:
This episode does feature what has to be one of the best Higgins "Oh My God!" deliveries ever, though!

LOL...it's certainly one of the most vicious! I also like the way the joke is painfully telegraphed (Magnum's placement of the box), yet still delivers a good laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 pm 
World Class Private Investigator

James J. Walters wrote:
As a big Carol Burnett fan, I really wanted to like this one. Sadly, it falls short for me, mainly because of the predictable, cookie-cutter script and the one-dimensional, highly annoying, characters.

The Magnum/Susan scenes didn't seem to work as well here - they seemed a little too outlandish and forced. "Rembrand'ts Girl" was much better, IMHO. Susan's wardrobe also bothered me for some reason. I know she's supposed to be a throwback gumshoe, but did she have to look like she just walked out of a Dick Tracy comic book, or something?

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/oh_my_god_2.wav

:shock:

Truly terrifying! It's a good thing Magnum high-tailed it out of there before he opened the box!

Anyone else not get why TM gift wrapped Higgins' pistol? We know from later in the episode that TM's gun was damaged, but gift wrapping higgins' pistol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:10 pm 
Lieutenant Commander

in my opinion, one of the worst episodes ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:14 pm 
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

This episode was way better than the last time Magnum and Carol met in Season 4 (that episode was dreadful). This episode was kind of like a new beginning - a big BANG, and there it was. A great episode. I loved it

TM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:11 pm 
Admiral

Having just seen this episode (2nd viewing for me) I gotta agree with James, the Higgins "Oh My God" is quite possibly the best ever...!

Otherwise, it's a so so episode.

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:59 pm 
Rear Admiral

I loved this episode. Of course I love everything Carol Burnett and
Tom Selleck do. I thought the way they made Carol over the top as a detective was really good. I loved when they met in the warehouse and she asked him if he was a "sort of good looking guy".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 pm 
Captain

agree with arri: the worst episode ever.
the episode in the vault was so much better (rembrandt's girl)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:17 pm 
Admiral

This is a fun and entertaining episode. Carol Burnett returns, this time as a new p.i. The episode is sort of a throwback to some of the more light hearted, comedic episodes but it is still very watchable.