It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 37%  37%  [ 18 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
7.5 (Decent) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Tigers Fan (8.4)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

This is the official MM thread for Tigers Fan (8.4). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/4/1987
When his friend Lt. Tanaka is shot to death, Magnum investigates the murder - including allegations that the man was involved in illicit activities.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:49 am 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

I was watching this one today too. I haven't finished it, as I got interrupted (to go help Larry put a new battery in my car) but in the very first scene, some guys on a stake-out are talking and one asks if anyone else had watched "The Rockford Files" the night before because it had Lance White on it!!

Nice little "inside joke," but it rather contradicts the time frame, doesn't it? That show would have been on in 1979-80 -- 8-9 years before this episode -- so that wouldn't really make sense, would it? The MPI episode was supposed to be in "present" time, not like a flashback.

One for the "shocking flubs"?

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:04 am 
Master Flub Spotter

The episode could have been a re-run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:30 am 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

The Rockford Files ended (according to www.imdb.com) in 1980, so a re-run eight years later? Maybe in syndication? But I can't find that TRF was in syndication in 1987-88. IH, perhaps you can pin that down for us?

To make the MPI episode more accurate chronology-wise, the person he asked the question of responded to the effect, "Why were you watching TRF when the Watergate hearings are going on?"

Elucidation, IH?

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:01 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

At Golf’s request I did a little research regarding the syndication of “The Rockford Files” (TFR). According to Wikipedia, Universal began syndicating the show in 1979 and marketed it to local stations well into the early and middle 1980s. If this is true, it would seem possible that the show could have been seen on a re-run in 1987 or 1988. Who knows for sure if the information on Wikipedia is totally accurate, so take it for what it’s worth. It is always possible that the guy was a “TFR” junkie and video taped the “Lance White” episodes and continued to re-watch them over and over again. This would not be unheard of considering that most of us continue to watch the same episodes of “MPI” many times over.

I haven’t seen the “Tigers Fan” episode in a while and do not recall the other reference to the “Watergate Hearings”, but that reference is more curious to me than the reference to “TRF”, because as far as I can remember, the Watergate hearings took place in 1974. Maybe the guy was referring to a recent documentary on the hearings? As Golf indicated, it is always possible that the reference to “TRF” was a flub, however, that can be explained away as it may have been seen on a re-run or on video tape, but I wonder why the writers would have included the Watergate reference. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:03 pm 
Vulgarian Visigoth

Well, considering I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye when the Watergate hearings were going on in the mid 70s and this episode aired in late '87 or 'early '88, I would chalk that up to bad writing or an obscure reference to some early C-Span rerun (If it was even around back then!)

-Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 pm 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

I'll see if I can get an video clip (including the exact dialogue) of this exchange this evening. Stay tuned!

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:35 am 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Okay, here's the opening clip from "Tigers Fan." As I re-viewed it, I realized that this scene IS a flashback to when Tanaka's partner (whom he is trying to avenge when he gets killed) is killed (according t the script, about 11 years earlier, I think, again slightly off by actual count, from 1974 to 1987).

However, it is still "off" time-wise, as shown by the dialogue, as the Watergate hearings, as stated earlier, were in 1974, and the Lance White episodes on The Rockford Files (TRF) were in 1979-80. So the"continuity" is stil five years off! I think that should count as a flub. (Sorry for the lousy video -- I just used my camcorder to shoot the scene as it showed on the TV in my VHS player -- but the audio is sufficient, and that's what we needed to make a determination, isn't it?)

"Tigers Fan" Opening Clip

IH, opinion?

By the way, in researching the timelines here, for the Watergate hearings and when TS was LW on TRF, I found an article that talked about all the "supporting" characters on TRF. It was interesting to see how many of them also showed up in MPI, which I think has already been discussed on forums here -- Joe Santos, Gretchen Corbett, Stuart Margolin, etc. From a practical standpoint, I'll bet those supporting/character actors were delighted to be "employed" again -- and to have to go to Hawaii to work!! Oh, THAT's a chore, isn't it????

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:52 am 
Master Flub Spotter

Ah, thanks for clarifying that Golf. As you discovered, the opening scene is a flashback (dream of Tanaka) to 1974 as they seemed to be discussing the "Watergate" hearings in the present. You are right, this is a flub, because the first "Lance White" episode didn't air until 1978 and the second episode aired in 1979. So, it appears that they are talking about an episode that won't air for at least 4 years in the future. Nice work. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Cool, nice investigative work guys! The flub is even more pronounced when you consider that the Watergate Hearings occured in 1973, a full year before The Rockford Files even went on the air!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next