7.0 (Average at Best) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 46
 Post subject: Transitions (8.11)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:36 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Transitions (8.11). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/17/1988
Magnum helps Higgins try to locate Robin Masters' stolen manuscript and receives some unwanted assistance from St. Louis-based private eye Luther Gillis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:57 am 
Resident Clutterbuck

Season 8 really pushed the "Higgins is Robin" theory, and having it backfire on everyone is an interesting twist. I'm not really sure why Luther Gillis was included, though. He seems even more out of place than usual, especially since it's the show's last 'regular' episode.

I wonder if he was simply available, or perhaps Selleck just really wanted to include the character one last time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:53 pm 
Majordomo of Magnum Mania! & Vulgarian Visigoth

Shermy wrote:
Season 8 really pushed the "Higgins is Robin" theory, and having it backfire on everyone is an interesting twist. I'm not really sure why Luther Gillis was included, though. He seems even more out of place than usual, especially since it's the show's last 'regular' episode.

I wonder if he was simply available, or perhaps Selleck just really wanted to include the character one last time?

I think that's the case. It really wouldn't have made much sense if Luther Gillis was in "Resolutions". That being said, I wonder what it was about Linda Lee Ellison that made the writers want to make her the focal point of "resolutions"? Even Cynthia from "L.A." would have made more sense....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:10 am 
Resident Clutterbuck

Doc Ibold wrote:
I wonder what it was about Linda Lee Ellison that made the writers want to make her the focal point of "resolutions"? Even Cynthia from "L.A." would have made more sense....

Yeah, it was a little strange to see her return, especially since that subplot didn't really go anywhere. But I guess they felt that his relationship with Cynthia had already been resolved by her return in Out of Sync.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:05 pm 
Founding Father

This is a really good, fun episode with a cool mystery/twist. The climax was kind of hokey, but overall the episode is a nice lead-in to the series finale.

It's good to see Luther, the lovable 'ol gumshoe from St. Louie, again. I've always been a big fan of this character. And hey, he knows how to throw a party, huh. His guesthouse party was really swingin'!

Love the opening scene with Magnum going through all of his "stuff". He appears to have another handheld computer game, maybe a Coleco sports game of some kind...

... and notice the "Cat Lover" award. In "Photo Play" he received a "Cat Lover of the Month Award". Here he has a "Cat Lover of the Year award! ;)

I really, really like the "change/transitions" narrations from Magnum. Grandfather Sullivan sure was a cool guy. I want to go hunting for wild asparagus sometime.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think "Supermac" when hearing about "Malcolm MacDonald"?

If you want a good chuckle, at the 25:24 mark, when Luther is walking with Suzi and Cleo on the estate lawn, take a look at Suzi when Luther says, "Wham!". It's a you-have-to-see-it-to-believe-it, involuntary, ... uh, upper body ... "flinch".

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:54 pm 
Admiral

Coleco Games! LOL Wow, are they even still in business? I bought my DH one of their football games for Xmas in 1980 I think and I must have paid $70.00!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 am 
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

When Luther is having the party and TM takes the rubber chicken and gorilla mask away from that dancing couple and puts in in a box, you can see the bug mask he wore to scare Rick...

Love the Zeus and Apollo name bowls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:47 pm 
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

Moved. I had the wrong episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:04 pm 
Lieutenant Commander

Disappointed in this, especially since, as someone else noted, this was the last "regular" episode. Very little Rick and TC, Rick acting stupid. I was fine with the return of Luther, but would have been better earlier in the season. Boy season 8 is making me mad. At least I have the early seasons and season 7 to watch to recapture the glory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:43 pm 
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

I've always thought they could've done a much better job with the ending of the show. I guess they were like, "It's over guys. Let's just phone it in and wrap it up."