3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 76

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Aunt Who Came to Dinner (7.20)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Aunt Who Came to Dinner (7.20). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/18/1987
Family matters command attention when Magnum's beloved Aunt Phoebe is convinced she's being followed by someone who wants to kill her.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

Man, the series was originally set to end on a somber note. :lol:

Despite an earlier mention, Playwright Phoebe feels like she has appeared out of nowhere. But unlike Joey, it's actually quite appropriate for such an unpredictable character. They also do a really good job of setting up her illness. First, by introducing the theme with Magnum having forgotten to renew his license, and later with subtle clues like Phoebe forgetting minor details.

An "illness of the week" plot seems like an odd choice for the series, but they pull it off by sticking to familiar themes like futility and loss. When Phoebe fails to recognize Magnum, his look reveals another case he knows he can't win. And the scene where Phoebe has to say one last farewell is essentially a precursor to Magnum's own role in Limbo.

My favorite moment occurs when Magnum notices that Phoebe has rearranged the furniture in the study. We then see Higgins sitting at his backwards desk, having resigned himself to simply accept the change. :lol: This also leads to a great exchange between Selleck and Hillerman, where they manage to convey understanding using nothing more than a cigar box. When those two guys were 'on', it was really hard for anyone else on the show to compete.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by lutherhgillis »

I believe this is one of the best episodes ever. It is a little unusual for an MPI episode to deal with such a topic but this was the "Magnum grows up" season after all.

Barbara Rush has to be the best guest actor ever to appear on the show. She did an excellent job of selling the Phoebe character.

I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the rest but I do believe this was some of the best of quality that the series offered.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

I couldn't agree with you guys more. A very well done episode and an outstanding performance from Barbara Rush. She should have been nominated for an Emmy for this one. I'm always amazed at how well the show handles the "serious themes". The ending had me in tears, again.
Shermy wrote:a great exchange between Selleck and Hillerman, where they manage to convey understanding using nothing more than a cigar box. When those two guys were 'on', it was really hard for anyone else on the show to compete.
Absolutely!

Katherine Kelly Lang .... that is all. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

James J. Walters wrote:Katherine Kelly Lang .... that is all. ;)
I can't believe I forgot to mention her contribution. During the entire episode, I just kept thinking, "We really need to discuss this girl's performance on the forum." :!:

It's gotta be that maid outfit. :lol:

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#6 Post by SelleckLover »

They should have had Katherine Kelly Lang on more often. It looked as if she and Magnum had some "chemistry" there. LOL :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL Shermy and SelleckLover! :)

Well, looking at her bio I see that she has been a major soap star on The Bold and the Beautiful (as Brooke Logan) for the last twenty years! It appears that she landed the gig not too long after her appearance on MPI.

Also in this episode, if you don't blink, you can spot a very young Kiersten Warren (Desperate Housewives cast member) in her first professional tv or film role, as "Sugar". Her annoying fiance gets knocked out by Magnum with one punch at the "Hall of Records". ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Just noticed something else about the "Hall of Records" scene. The clerk, apparently replacing our beloved Ms. Jones, is played by none other than Connie Kissinger, the well-known local Hawaiian singer/songwriter who for many years played at the legendary Kahala Hilton...

She previously appeared as a nurse in Season Four's "On Face Value".

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yea, Ms. Jones must have gone out for an annoyance break and a make me want to grit my teeth and hope to die refill...

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Miss Q »

When TM and Aunt Phoebe walk on the beach they talk about when she took TM to see 'Folle Bercher' (sp?)....

Is this something real or made up???
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

SelleckLover

#11 Post by SelleckLover »

The "Folies Bergeres" was/is real. Here's a link to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folies_Bergeres

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by MyGod! »

I just saw this episode last night and I must say, it was one of my least favorites. I didn' think the illness was treated that realistically, and Magnum letting the guy off for stealing the script seemed out of character. I did enjoy the maid, and the interplay between TM and Higgins. Seems like season 7 has quite a few good epsiodes, and a few stinkers, such as this and Out of Sync (Dana Delaney and writing are soooo bad in that one)

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#13 Post by Rutledal »

I felt this episode was "so-so" untill the "twist" ending came and raised it up amongst the top ten episodes of season 7.

Also is this the only episode where Magnum technicaly isn't a P.I, sorry, a private investegator since he has temporarily lost his license?
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by lutherhgillis »

No offense MG but the subject of dementia is a complicated one. The complexity is exacerbated when the person is an exentric like the character Phoebe. I know they took much license in order to make the point about the character's illness while inside one episode but I think they did a good job.

I think the weasle that stole the manuscript deserved a punch in the face but he was an old man after all. TM is too good for that.

I applaud the show for taking a big risk. Plus, this epi gave us a little more insight into TM's background as a child.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

SelleckLover

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

luthergillis wrote:
No offense MG but the subject of dementia is a complicated one.
I do believe you are right...and we must also remember that back in the late 1980's not as much was known about dementia and/or Alzheimer's as is known now.