7.5 (Decent) 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 60
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:52 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway (6.12). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/2/1986
The Inky Gilbert Traveling Carnival brings fun, glamour and tragic accidents to the island.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:42 pm 
Founding Father

This show never ceases to amaze me. I always regarded this as the worst episode ever. Now, this was based on one viewing over 15 years ago. Revisiting this episode now, I'm shocked at how much better I like it!

The carny scenes are all quite enjoyable, especially the ones with "The Gang" in costumes. There are a couple of really good dialog sequences referencing carnivals and side shows - Magnum's narration about his memories of the county fair as a kid and Inky's speech lamenting the upcoming demise of the traditional traveling carnivals.

And every scene inside the "Tower of Terror" is fantastic. It's dark, spooky, and is inhabited by a creepy, disfigured carnival geek who wears a Jason Voorhees mask and kind of looks like Freddy Krueger! It's light horror, something rarely seen in the show, that actually works quite well! Even the "blaze up" ending was better the second time around. And fantastic make-up work on Geoffrey Lewis. Creepy.

There are some bad scenes, however, and some pacing issues, but overall a decent episode, much better than I remember it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:23 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

The best part of this episode is that you spend the entire time trying to figure out the title! By the time they reveal it, you've almost forgotten that it's still a mystery. :lol:

I also like how Magnum links the final clue to the one incident Higgins never talks about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:29 am 
Founding Father

Yeah, I really liked that, too! "I never wanted to go to France, Anyway!" Whoosh! Place goes up in flames!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 pm 
Fleet Admiral

I don't remember this episode when it first aired, so it was kinda like watching it the first time. It wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. Geoffrey Lewis is a great character actor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:37 pm 
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

The only thing I thought was more improbable than all the others in this episode is how quickly the Tower of Terror gets engulfed in flames -- I think it takes a little longer than instantly to get the whole thing burning. Plus when they come out, the fire engines are already there pumping water!

Otherwise, it seemed to me to be "pushing" the Magnum-Higgins friendship a little TOO hard. We know it's there, the show/script doesn't need to clobber us over the head with it. I think that "relationship" is better when it's a little more subtle.

JMHO

golf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:23 pm 
Commander

Is it just me or does Higgins come across as the most psychotic looking clown ever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:58 am 
Founding Father

He sure is wilko! He's downright frightening!

:shock:

If I was a kid, and I saw him, I would just drop my ice cream cone and run in the opposite direction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:05 pm 
Maniac Emeritus

Yeah, i was never one of those kids who was scared of clowns, but Higgo the Clown would certainly freak me out.

Why does he have the bloody tear?!

Why is he all in Black and White?

Couldn't he be a friendly clown?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

Doc Ibold wrote:
Yeah, i was never one of those kids who was scared of clowns, but Higgo the Clown would certainly freak me out.

Why does he have the bloody tear?!

Why is he all in Black and White?

Couldn't he be a friendly clown?

It's gotta be some sort of symbolism due to the fact that his friend's business is going under as many of his performers are being murdered, as well as Inky himself. However, I like what Jerry Seinfeld said in one of his episodes when he and Elaine were confronted by a clown while waiting for the opera. "That's one angry clown." :lol: