7.0 (Average at Best) 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 48
 Post subject: Compulsion (5.14)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:02 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Compulsion (5.14). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/24/1985
Appearances can be deceiving when Magnum tries to convince Carol that she's not seeing signs pointing to the next case as being her last, and Higgins finds himself in a rough spot when his former Sandhurst comrades believe he's the owner of Robin's estate!

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:54 pm 
Founding Father

A dark, tension-filled episode with Carol front-and-center. John Pleshette is downright creepy as the obsessed stalker. We get to see the inside and outside of Carol's house. And this is the episode where Carol propositions Magnum with a seductive look and a glance to the bedroom! Thomas turns her down, saying it has something to do with not wanting to destroy their friendship, but maybe it really was because Carol, seconds before her "move", told him that he reminded her of her father! :shock:

In any event, it's a fairly good episode. Interestingly, it was much better the second time I saw it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:59 pm 
Vice Admiral

Richard McPherson is credited as Moody at the end of this episode, not Darryl Jacobs. Carol referred to him as Moody, as did Rick when he gave Magnum the info he got about the license plate on the Jeep that Magnum spotted outside of the Lazarus parole board hearing. Magnum called him Moody when he encountered him at the Lazarus ranch, as did Sunshine. Nobody ever mentioned the name Darryl Jacobs

Did I miss something? Was this part of a scene that was left out of the syndicated version? If so, why did they credit him simply as Moody?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:56 pm 
Vice Admiral

Here are a few more things I noticed while watching this episode:

1) When Carol is on the phone, just before the lights go out in her office, she tells someone on the phone that Chelsea is a "pekinese... golden, brown, and white", so it is not a dog at all... more like a furry football!

Just kidding... :wink: (a little more detail for your episode page, James).

2) We do not know from this episode whether Carol's father was an ADA, like Carol, or the DA, but it was a high profile case (Lazarus) so he may actually have headed the office. In fact, when Magnum gets the info from Rick about Moody, he says that the address is the "City Prosecutor's Office". The address on the second package that Carol receives, the one containing the stuffed dog, is clearly visible as:

Ms. Carol Baldwin
    City Prosecutors Office
    Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
That would make Carol, and, presumably, her dad as well, city prosecutors and not district attorneys at all! Is this a flub? Has anyone ever referred to Carol specifically as a district attorney?

3) In addition to learning why Higgins left Sandhurst, we also learn in this episode who was actually responsible for the accident for which Higgins was blamed. Did you leave this out because it is a spoiler, James?

4) We learn from Higgins that Lord Binkie Smythe-White's real name is Archibald, but, for some unexplained reason, he would rather be called Binkie than Archibald, or even Archie! :lol:

Last edited by eegorr on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:36 am 
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Richard McPherson is credited as Moody at the end of this episode, not Darryl Jacobs.

I think I just answered my own question. Darryl Jacobs is a character in A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken, which was the next episode to air on WGN after this one. I guess someone just screwed up the credits for this episode!

I submitted a correction to IMDB... James, you might want to fix it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm 
Founding Father

Hi eegorr,

Thanks for the info!

I've corrected the Richard McPherson credit.

Regarding Carol, I'm almost positive she has been addressed as an A.D.A. before, but I can't recall where! In The Man From Marseilles, the sign on her door states she is a "Deputy Prosecuting Attorney", which matches what is seen here in Compulsion.

Hmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:38 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

eegorr wrote:
That would make Carol, and, presumably, her dad as well, city prosecutors and not district attorneys at all! Is this a flub? Has anyone ever referred to Carol specifically as a district attorney?

I could have sworn that Rick in one episode referred to Carol as "Deputy P.A." (as in Prosecuting attorney). If I had to guess, I would say Carol was a traditional "Prosecuting Attorney," "District Attorney," or as we have in Florida "State Attorney." However, all of these titles are interchangeable, e.g., district attorney, prosecuting attorney, state attorney. In Florida, the prosecuting attorney's are called "State Attorneys." However, everyone would know what you were referring to if you were to refer to them as Prosecuting attorney or District attorney.

Although cities in Florida have City Attorneys, I don't know of any that prosecute big time criminals like Carol does. City Attorneys in Florida deal mainly with contracts, land use law, eminent domain, and other issues involving the city directly. The only crimes they may deal with are mere ordinance violations, like peeing on the sidewalk. :shock: The crimes (misdemeanors and felonies) are reserved for the State Attorneys in that County or Judicial District. I realize that Hawaii is not Florida, however, I would say that Carol is a "Prosecuting Attorney" and not a City Attorney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:44 pm 
Founding Father

Thanks IslandHopper

So a "Deputy Prosecuting Attorney" would be equivalent to an "A.D.A."? Does Honolulu have A.D.A's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:33 pm 
World Class Private Investigator

Kind of an off topic note here, but David Hemmings also played Dr. Charles Henry Moffet, creator of Airwolf in the Bellisario series "Airwolf".
I've noticed that a lot of actors rotated among the Bellisario shows in the 80's. Also appearing on "Airwolf" were Kathleen Lloyd, Jeff MacKay, Lance Legault, Jean Bruce Scott, Debrah Pratt (who was married to Bellisario at the time) James Whitmore Jr. (Billy Joe Bob, Nuzzo)Anne Lockhart, Eugene Roche, Soon-Tek Oh, and pilot/areal co ordinator J. David Jones.

Last edited by N1095A on Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:39 pm 
World Class Private Investigator

My apologies, I seem to have quoted myself here. Sorry for the double post.