Flubs for "Fragments."
1. When Magnum finishes his discussion with Laura about taking her case and he asks "am I going to take your case?" the camera cuts to Magnum driving the Ferrari downtown. However, the initial shot is not Magnum driving the Ferrari. The guy driving looks like he has a navy or black golf shirt and Magnum has a light colored button down shirt with a white collar. The next shot is a close-up of Magnum driving with the light colored-white collared shirt.
2. When Magnum races into the ocean to save the drowning boy his sleeves are rolled up as they have been in every shot thus far. However, once he starts swimming towards the boy, and again when he gets out of the water his sleeves are rolled all the way down. I suppose it's possible that the force of the water could have caused the the sleeves to unravel, so this flub is up for debate.
3. As TC and Rick arrive at the beach to assist in the rescue of the drowning boy, the camera shows TC run to Laura who is at the water's edge. Before TC runs into the water to help Magnum you can see that his pants (warm-up pants) are already wet, however, he just got out of the van. I am assuming the pants are wet from the previous takes.
4. After Magnum and the gang pull the boy from the water, the scene ends with Magnum embracing Laura and then the next shot cuts to a crowded beach (supposed to be outside of the KKC). However, in this shot of the beach you can see two girls in bikinis talking with a woman in a blue top, and you can also see a guy walking away from the camera carrying a surf ski under his right arm and a paddle in his left hand. The flub is the fact that this beach scene is from Season 4's "Letter To A Duchess", when Magnum in that episode finishes his surf ski race and deliberately acts like a jerk in order to rebuff Lady Wilkerson's advances. In that episode, he says "17th is still good enough to get the chicks", and whines about not winning the trophy, and calls Higgins "Big Hig." He then trods down the beach to the group of three women (2 in bikinis and the other in the blue top) that we also see in Season 5's "Fragments", and trys to hit on them in a transparent effort to dissuade the Lady Wikerson.
5. After Magnum and Laura talk with Higgins about the rare bottle of wine they leave the main house and the next scene cuts to a head-on view of Magnum driving the Ferrari, in which you can see condos on his left and no buildings whatsoever on his right. In addition, in this head-on view, Magnum is not wearing a hat or sunglasses either. This head-on view of the Ferrari lasts about 5 seconds (as Magnum narrates) and then cuts to a close-up of Magnum driving from Magnum's left side, looking out the right side of the car. Now, Magnum is suddenly wearing his Detroit Tigers cap and sunglasses and on the right side of the street there are buildings that weren't there 5 seconds earlier.
6. When Magnum is getting chased by Archie's ex-wife and her boyfriend in their Cadillac, Magnum pulls into an area with a lot of pedestrian traffic and then he carefully maneuvers the Ferrari around a small building nearly hitting a man and a woman carrying fishing poles. The woman is asian and is wearing a blue tank-top shirt and pink shorts. The guy is a local and is wearing a blue-green sleeveless shirt and blue jeans. Both are carrying fishing poles and the woman is also carrying a white bucket in her left hand. This same man and woman appear about 25 seconds later and almost get hit again by the Ferrari. This flub is similar to the over use of extras in the airport scene in Season 1's "All Roads Lead To Floyd."
7. After Magnum and Laura's conversation in Higgins' study, the next shot is of TC's helicopter banking to the left. Note, in this shot of TC's chopper, the 'skids' (the part of the helicopter that supports it when it lands) of the chopper have an extra fitting that look like running boards on a truck or SUV. A few seconds later the camera cuts to a shot of the chopper looking at it from the right side and you can clearly see that the 'skids' of the chopper no longer have the extra fittings on them. When TC's chopper lands at the sugarmill the 'skids' are again devoid of the extra fittings. This is probably the most common flub throughout the series. This flub occurs in numerous episodes where TC's chopper is shown flying.
8. In the scene in the cemetery, when Magnum leaps towards Laura, Archie shoots at Magnum, however, Magnum's back is toward Archie. Magnum then falls face first, gets to his knees and turns around to shoot at Archie and you see Archie fire one shot at Magnum, hitting Magnum in the chest. Archie then approaches Magnum and Laura while Magnum is on the ground, and before Archie can fire another shot at Magnum, Magnum shoots at Archie, saying "it's over Archie." Magnum reaveals his bullet-proof vest and it shows that two bullets hit the vest, however, it appeared that Archie fired only one shot at Magnum when Magnum was facing him. The extra bullet couldn't have hit Magnum when he leapt towards Laura because his back was toward Archie.
This is one of my favorite episodes from Season 5. It seemed more like a genuine mystery than some of the other episodes. One of my favorite scenes is where Higgins tells the story of when he and Robin finished 8th in a yacht race in 1976, as they lost their jib 2 days out, and Robin broke his arm when a whale rammed the boat and Higgins suffered from a 103 degree tempreture from malaria. Higgins isn't Robin Masters, he is Ernest Hemingway.
Question: There is a painting in Higgins' study of a woman, however, it is not the Queen. This woman looks like she has a beard. I have seen this painting many times in many different episodes, and always thought it odd that Higgins would have a painting of a bearded lady in the estate. In this episode, the painting in question is on the wall of the study to the right of the door as you walk into the study. There are a few scenes inside the study when the camera is facing the door, thus, the painting is on the left of the screen. Does anyone know who this is a painting of, and its significance?