7.0 (Average at Best) 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 77
 Post subject: Smaller Than Life (4.3)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:30 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for Smaller Than Life (4.3). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/13/1983
Trouble comes in all shapes and sizes when childhood friend Waldo Norris asks Rick to help him investigate an insurance claim for a priceless figurine. Rick then discovers that his friend isn't quite all he seems, but the truth of Waldo's identity may put an even higher price on finding the missing piece.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Dial-up...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:32 pm 
Fleet Admiral

When viewing the scenes where Magnum dials into the computer via the analog modem, you may be tempted to say that is was not possible to hack into another computer so easily. However, I remember as late as the early 90s when MAJOR corporations had scads of dial-up access modem lines that had NO password protection whatsoever. It's true... Root access was just a dial tone away. Please believe me, it's true. I was there...

Mahalo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:30 am 
Vice Admiral

I'm sure you're absolutely right. Nonetheless, I find the appearance of old computers rather quaint. Magnum, Higgins, et. al. still seem pretty fresh, but those old computers really remind you of the show's age.

Post subject: Re: Dial-up...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:14 pm 
Founding Father

lutherhgillis wrote:
When viewing the scenes where Magnum dials into the computer via the analog modem, you may be tempted to say that is was not possible to hack into another computer so easily. However, I remember as late as the early 90s when MAJOR corporations had scads of dial-up access modem lines that had NO password protection whatsoever. It's true... Root access was just a dial tone away. Please believe me, it's true. I was there...

Hi lutherhgillis

In the episode guide, I wasn't saying you couldn't get root access to a computer network via a modem. I simply said an analog TV couldn't turn itself on by placing a phone onto an acoustic coupler modem. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:31 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Hi lutherhgillis

In the episode guide, I wasn't saying you couldn't get root access to a computer network via a modem. I simply said an analog TV couldn't turn itself on by placing a phone onto an acoustic coupler modem.

I wasn't trying to correct you. I was only adding some interesting (hopefully) information. I figured younger viewers would have a hard time believing how much things have changed. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:11 pm 
Founding Father

10-4, thanks.

Yeah, Ferris Bueller's Day Off probably isn't required viewing for teenagers anymore. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:50 pm 
Founding Father

So..... when Waldo and Rick were kids/teenagers, hanging out together on Taylor St. in Chicago, Waldo was working for the CIA?? Please tell me I missed something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:24 pm 
Maniac Emeritus

James J. Walters wrote:
So..... when Waldo and Rick were kids/teenagers, hanging out together on Taylor St. in Chicago, Waldo was working for the CIA?? Please tell me I missed something.

Nope, its flubalicious!

(A 12 year old CIA agent?)

Post subject: Re: Dial-up...
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 am 
Fleet Admiral

James J. Walters wrote:
In the episode guide, I ... said an analog TV couldn't turn itself on by placing a phone onto an acoustic coupler modem.

True, and that very thought occurred to me when I watched the episode tonight. But then it occurred to me that Magnum is in a hospital, which is the first place I ever saw a remote control. I don't recall seeing a remote control in the episode, but hospitals of that era were providing them to anyone who rented a TV -- maybe it was just off-camera. So Magnum could have simultaneously put the handset into the acoustic coupler and turned on the TV set. I know, I know, he was all thumbs due to the body cast, but theoretically, he could have. So maybe it isn't a for-sure flub after all?

Does anyone know if Tom Selleck was actually incapacitated when they filmed this one? The Episode Guide says the next episode is also "Rick centric," which would make sense if TS was really in a cast. Or, Hubby points out, TS could have been busy wrapping up some summer project (IMDb says Lassiter was released in February of 1984), so they featured Rick in a couple of shows to give him a little extra time. Is there any record of when these two episodes were produced? If they were the first two of the fourth season, that would lend more credence to Hubby's theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:17 am 
Fleet Admiral

Somehow, I missed this episode the first time through the series. The hubby and I were expecting the worst, but it wasn't that bad. Being Rick-centric made it different, but all-in-all, it was an amusing epi. Did love the old modem. My lab had one similar to that when I was in school. Things sure have changed. :!: