No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes

Total votes: 91

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Memories Are Forever (2) (2.6)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Memories Are Forever (2) (2.6). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/5/1981
Magnum's desperate search for Michelle faces being forced to a halt after he has been called up for active Navy duty and ordered to testify in Washington. Magnum suspects that is just a political smokescreen to try and get him off Michelle's trail. Magnum is briefly reunited with Michelle, who is married to Vietnamese General Hue, who is involved in delicate negotiations regarding returning remains of M.I.A.s and P.O.W.s from Vietnam. But Michelle is suspected of being a traitor agent and is in great danger.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

Part 2 of this episode -- and another tangential subject

#2 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, I have a question of logic here. After Thomas meets Michelle at the chapel, he apparently brings her back to the guest house at Robin's Nest, at which point we pick them up and he's in the shower. WHY???? He hadn't done anything sweat-worthy at the chapel, and I am guessing that he cleaned up before he went to MEET her. So why is he showering to get clean when they get to the guest house? Is this just an "excuse" (and a lousy one in my opinion) to show some beefcake here? or to get him wearing only a towel for the seduction scene? This makes no sense at all.

The one thing I can't object to is the love scenes between Thomas and Michelle. I was going to post a thread on the general discussion about why is it that Thomas' love scenes with other women always look so fakey. He doesn't look involved, the kisses look forced, they all look (to me) embarrassingly staged. The love scenes with Michelle look more convincing. Of course, she is supposed to be his REAL love . . . . but come on! Life moves on. If he is supposed to be in love or involved emotionally with someone else, the love scenes should be more . . . convincing? Or is Tom Selleck just not a good on-screen lover? The sexiest man is the crummiest on-screen romancer?

Granted, this is just my opinion. Well, the only other romantic scenes he played that were at least semi-convincing were with Dana Delaney in the two "L.A." episodes. But he seems to be better in a romantic relationship where there actually is no kissing. It just seems that Thomas is more romantic when he actually never has to actually KISS the lady involved.

Is this worthy of a separate thread? It just something I've noticed and something about which I would like to hear some input from other fans.

golf

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Part 2 of this episode -- and another tangential subject

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:Okay, I have a question of logic here. After Thomas meets Michelle at the chapel, he apparently brings her back to the guest house at Robin's Nest, at which point we pick them up and he's in the shower. WHY???? He hadn't done anything sweat-worthy at the chapel, and I am guessing that he cleaned up before he went to MEET her. So why is he showering to get clean when they get to the guest house? Is this just an "excuse" (and a lousy one in my opinion) to show some beefcake here? or to get him wearing only a towel for the seduction scene? This makes no sense at all.
Maybe he wanted to be at his freshest when he seduced her. Or, maybe it was the writer's way of showing how Magnum puts her on a pedestal, i.e., that he couldn't be with her unless he was recently purified. It's anyones guess, but good point though.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

I'm not against a gratuitous scene where I get to see TM wearing only a towel. I like those kind of scenes, whether they make sense or not! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:Maybe he wanted to be at his freshest when he seduced her. Or, maybe it was the writer's way of showing how Magnum puts her on a pedestal, i.e., that he couldn't be with her unless he was recently purified. It's anyones guess, but good point though.
8)

Oh man, that's a classic post right there! One of the best ever! LOL!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:Of course, she is supposed to be his REAL love . . . . but come on! Life moves on.
Someone was obviously a big fan of Casablanca during those first two seasons. In addition to Rick and his Cafe Americain, we have Magnum falling for someone who was (unknown to both) still legally married. He then had to let her go, so that she could be with her husband as he led the secret revolution.

Heck, the team ring had even been used to signal Victor Laszlo, upon his arrival at Rick's Cafe!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

OK,

IH (if you have season 2 on DVD, please back me up on this).

I, being very bad at this sort of thing, believe I have found a flub!

When Rick and TC are being forced up the stairs of the tattoo parlor (non dream sequence before the Ki/Magnum showdown), the guy holding the gun on them is wearing a team ring!

Now, any other episode, I could excuse this as a continuity error, but they played a lot of this episode up of the significance of the team ring.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

It's close Doc. The ring looks very similar to a team ring, but I don't think it is a team ring. The ring is the same shape, but the top of the ring doesn't appear to have the black on top like the team ring.

If this was in fact a team ring, I think it could be explained that the Viet agent wearing the ring was wearing it as a trophy of some kind. Maybe he killed a "team member" at some point and took it as a trophy. So IMHO, I would say it is not a flub either way you look at it. Sorry Doc.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

Doc Ibold wrote:
I, being very bad at this sort of thing, believe I have found a flub!
Yup, not good at this at all!

:(

:wink:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

IH,

I'm confused. I thought the "team" was really a rather self-established team of TM, Rick, TC, and Dan Cook -- and maybe one or two others? I.e., how did the killer in "Death and Taxes" get a ring? Was that ever explained? I forget right now as I type this.

Was Nuzo a team member with a ring?

So I don't see how a Viet could have killed a "team member" who also had a ring. I thought only the team members were/are the ones we get to know in the series, and those are the ones who had a ring. So I don't know of another "unknown" one that a bad guy could have killed to keep the ring as a trophy from.

Of course, it might not have been "THE" ring, just looked like it, as you stated. Still . . . . why even allow a character to wear a ring so similar? I thought that it was pretty strictly regulated as to what jewelry actors can wear so nothing is obviously contradictory to the story line.

:?: :?: :?:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#11 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:IH,

I'm confused. I thought the "team" was really a rather self-established team of TM, Rick, TC, and Dan Cook -- and maybe one or two others? I.e., how did the killer in "Death and Taxes" get a ring? Was that ever explained? I forget right now as I type this.

Was Nuzo a team member with a ring?

So I don't see how a Viet could have killed a "team member" who also had a ring. I thought only the team members were/are the ones we get to know in the series, and those are the ones who had a ring. So I don't know of another "unknown" one that a bad guy could have killed to keep the ring as a trophy from.

Of course, it might not have been "THE" ring, just looked like it, as you stated. Still . . . . why even allow a character to wear a ring so similar? I thought that it was pretty strictly regulated as to what jewelry actors can wear so nothing is obviously contradictory to the story line.

:?: :?: :?:

golf
There are at least seven team members that I can recall. In "Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii" (1) Magnum, (2) Philippe, (3) Dan Cook and the (4) RTO are in a fire fight with VC or NVA while waiting to be picked up by (5) Rick and (6) TC. That makes 6 members right there. Cookie was probably a team member. He was replaced by Rick and Rick became a team member, so I would think Rick's predecessor (Cookie) was also a team member. Cookie makes seven that we know about. There were probably others. I was under the impression that this was a joint American/French team, so there were probably additional French team members (other than Philippe) that we don't know about.

As I stated, I do not think the ring the Viet agent was wearing in the scene described by Doc was a team ring. However, if it was, I think a logical explanation would be that the agent/NVA took it as a trophy from one of Magnum's fallen team members (Cookie, etc.) during the war considering that the team members were special forces and conducted extemely hazardous missions. I'm sure their team would have lost its share of members during the war. Since the beginning of warfare, soldiers have taken personal items as trophies from their enemies. That is why I think the trophy explanation would be plausible.

As far as Nuzo is concerned, I don't think he was a team member because the real Nuzo died in captivity at the hands of Ivan and the imposter Nuzo took his place when Magnum and TC were being held by Ivan. My understanding is that Magnum and TC did not know Nuzo until they were POWs. In "Did You See The Sunrise," Magnum realizes that the Nuzo (James Whitmore Jr.) is an imposter planted by Ivan just like in his favorite movie, Stalag 17.

No, it was never revealed in "Death and Taxes" how the killer got a team ring. The killer seemed to be obsessed with Magnum, so I figured he took notice of the ring when he met Magnum and had a ring made. He also had an MIA bracelet with Kenneth Lancaster's name on it.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

IHIH,

You're forgetting about Pepe (died in Vietnam in the pilot movie before they left Philippe)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#13 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:IHIH,

You're forgetting about Pepe (died in Vietnam in the pilot movie before they left Philippe)
Thanks Doc. That makes eight team members. I also forgot about "Two Birds Of A Feather." In the beginning of that episode we see Magnum making his way through the jungle to the temple where his team is located. We see three new members. Two are wearing a red beret and one is wearing a black beret like Magnum. The guy wearing the black beret and the guy talking on the radio (sounds French) both are wearing team rings. I couldn't tell if the third guy sitting next to the wounded pilot had a team ring on. I assume he did. So, that's three more, which makes eleven team members we know of.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#14 Post by Tom_Magnum »

So, can someone tell me how many members are on the team with Magnum? Is it seven or eight? (This is one of the best double feature episodes).

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

Tom_Magnum wrote:So, can someone tell me how many members are on the team with Magnum? Is it seven or eight? (This is one of the best double feature episodes).
I count 11 team members when considering the team members that we see in the Pilot episode and Two Birds of a Feather.