Reply from Larry Manetti

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa golf, you are starting to freak me out a little bit! ;)

But seriously, I don't think we have to worry about the site getting yanked. I believe "Fair use" as provided for in Section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law applies to the vast majority of the site. I don't sell anything. I don't use copyrighted cast or promo photos. I don't provide downloads for any of the commercially available songs ("Mama", "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", etc.). The site is done in "good faith" and positively promotes the show and cast members.

Besides, I know at least two people from Universal who have already seen the site.

If something did come up, they would send a "cease and desist" order for something specific, like a copyrighted photo or something. I would comply and everything would be peachy. But I've never received anything like that, so all is good.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, James, that's fine with me! I just didn't want to open up any bugaboos to cause problems. I certainly agree that the site positively promotes the show (and DVD sales, if you look at it that way . . . .) and the characters. I just wanted to be sure I didn't bring something to someone's attention who might have a problem with it. If you are comfortable with my using posts from, in essence, YOUR forum and mentioning the site and that the quotes come from the loyal fans who congregate here -- and work up a letter to send to Grazer, then I'm happy to work something up. I just didn't want to point a big red arrow here and then have it backfire on us.

Whatever I work up, when I get something in rough draft, I'll PM you and send it to you for "approval" since you are our Fearless Leader. I know you're very busy, but hopefully you'll have time to review what I prepare. Maybe, even, you could post it where you posted the pdf's of the unproduced scripts so everyone can read it and make suggestions as to polishing it.

How does that sound to everyone?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#18 Post by Carmen »

Sounds great!!
Can`t wait to sign up!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#19 Post by tidal pool »

Good plan, golf! Here's a little background on our target, I mean contact...

Brian Grazer

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004976/

In the Message Boards, someone references the fact that Grazer now owns the rights to MPI.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004976/board/nest/8038470[/url]
TS or NO MOVIE!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, thanks golf. I appreciate it.

Regarding the rights, Grazer and Imagine Entertainment have the rights to produce the bigscreen adaptation, but Universal still owns the distribution rights.

In light of the fact that the Grazer/Thurber production has already completed a script that needs a younger cast (the story begins before Magnum is a P.I.), and in fact they've already offered the lead role to McConaughey, I seriously doubt they would consider re-writing the script for the original cast. They seem hell bent on NOT using the original cast.

I think the focus from our end should be to support a TV MOVIE with the original cast. Selleck himself has proved with the successful Jesse Stone movies that this format is still viable. Selleck has had a long, amicable relationship with CBS. Surely it would be a ratings success. I don't see why this still couldn't work. But they need to do it soon!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#21 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with you James! :D

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#22 Post by Olivier »

Sparkle & Fizz wrote:Count me in for the letter writing campaign!
Me too ! They will see we write from all over the world :P .

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

I'm probably not going to get time to read through all the posts and find quotes to include until this weekend, but I'll try to include as many folks as I can.

For those members with whom it would be okay if I use some of your posts, please be sure your location is listed in your profile, so I can say, for example, "This is a quote from Olivier in France," etc.

I'm going to pitch for a "theater" movie initially, mainly because I think the producers probably won't make both a theatrical release AND a made-for-TV movie. Wouldn't they be competing with themselves if they do that? But I will try to point out how the "mini-Magnum, P.I." "reunion" on "Las Vegas" was so very highly rated, which shows an obvious interest in seeing the original cast back together again.

And I agree it will be time-consuming for them to get a working script, much less, ANOTHER working script, if the Grazer/Thurber contingency already has one they're ready to go with.

But if we don't try, we'll never know if a "write-in" campaign will do any good.

So I'll try to have a "working script" for us by this weekend. What I might do is post it on the Magnum GI site and then post a link HERE to it there so everyone can read it. Also, perhaps, that might expose the idea to a few others, though frankly I doubt that MGI has that many "fans" finding that blog that aren't already here. Did I say that right?

Stay tuned! You will all be advised when I have something to be reviewed by everyone.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Steve »

Brian Grazer.....Hmmmph.....I have never trusted any man that seems to spend more time on making his hair look like a mess than just combing it neatly and getting on with his life!!!

Anyway, count me in on any letter writing campaign....

Steve
Chicago

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by tidal pool »

golf,

If possible, I highly recommend that you wear a Team Ring while you compose the letter. Obviously, no one will see it, but you will look good while you're writing. :wink: :lol:
TS or NO MOVIE!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

tidal,

I promise I'll wear my parrot shirt and ersatz Rolex dive watch (I don't have a team ring). I'll have Magnum GI leaning over my shoulder critiquing my work, I'll have MPI episodes playing on the DVR (nope, better not do that, it'll distract me too much . . . .)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#27 Post by J.J. Walters »

Appreciate it golf!
golfmobile wrote:I'm going to pitch for a "theater" movie initially, mainly because I think the producers probably won't make both a theatrical release AND a made-for-TV movie. Wouldn't they be competing with themselves if they do that?
Or each could feed off the publicity of the other. Still, I don't think this has ever been done before - TV show, theatrical movie, made-for-tv movie.

I just think the theatrical movie is way past the point of no return as far as the original cast is concerned - the script is completed and pre-casting is underway. The only hope lies in prime time TV.

But you're right, either way, it can't hurt to voice our opinions.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#28 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Hey, thanks golf. I appreciate it.

Regarding the rights, Grazer and Imagine Entertainment have the rights to produce the bigscreen adaptation, but Universal still owns the distribution rights.

In light of the fact that the Grazer/Thurber production has already completed a script that needs a younger cast (the story begins before Magnum is a P.I.), and in fact they've already offered the lead role to McConaughey, I seriously doubt they would consider re-writing the script for the original cast. They seem hell bent on NOT using the original cast.

I think the focus from our end should be to support a TV MOVIE with the original cast. Selleck himself has proved with the successful Jesse Stone movies that this format is still viable. Selleck has had a long, amicable relationship with CBS. Surely it would be a ratings success. I don't see why this still couldn't work. But they need to do it soon!
James,

TOTALLY agree with this one.

Big Screen = Younger actors
Small Screen = MUCH better chance to have the original cast.

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

#29 Post by tidal pool »

James J. Walters wrote:Grazer/Thurber production has already completed a script that needs a younger cast
That does it. We're going to have to break into Grazer's office and destroy the script. golf, you go first. :wink:
TS or NO MOVIE!

Carmen
MPI

#30 Post by Carmen »

Now where is my black cashmere sweater?? 8)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)