No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 62

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Torah, Torah, Torah (5.21)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Torah, Torah, Torah (5.21). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/28/1985
The violent theft of a sacred Torah has Magnum and Rabbi Asher Solomon on a hunt where they will encounter death, destruction and double-dealing on their way to the priceless artifact.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

New footage of the Ferrari driving along the costal highway is uused. Previous stock footage showed an older Ferrari with a black windshield frame. Notice the red windshield frame of the '84 model in this new footage.

While in the guest house, Higgins explains that he needs Magnum to pick up a friend of his at the airport. He further explains that he is unable to do it himself because he is needed for urgent business on the north shore. This would contradict the implied location of the estate, as it has been inferred that the estate is located on the north shore.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sam »

James,

I liked this episode mainly because I've been a fan of Nehemiah Persoff.A good character actor with a long list of credits mostly as a heavy.So the role of Rabbi Asher Solomon was a departure from his usual roles.

He retired in 1999 and now spents his days painting.You can see his paintings on his web page.

http://www.nehemiahpersoffpaintings.com/

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

"There will always be a little piece of Higgins in the Torah".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:"There will always be a little piece of Higgins in the Torah".
This episode has one of my favorite scenes of any episode (along with the Magnum/Butler scene in "Compulsion"). I believe it takes place just before Rabbi Solomon says the line quoted above, when the Rabbi is telling Magnum of the first time he actually met Higgins. It was in London and the Rabbi recognized Higgins as the British Sentry who abruptly turned to allow the Rabbi and his friends to escape into the night. They discussed this situation and the strict orders the British soldiers were under not to permit this type of activity. The Rabbi said something like "you disobeyed a direct order" (in allowing the Rabbi and his friends to pass). Higgins replied by saying something like "I was obeying a higher order which doesn't permit me to shoot unarmed refugees looking for a home." That scene gets me every time.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Tralfaz
Admiral

#6 Post by Tralfaz »

I can't tell but it looks like that when the Ferrari is rammed early in the episode that the prop men applied some sort of crinkled plastic sheet or paper to the Ferrari to simulate the crushed metal
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

Tralfaz
Admiral

#7 Post by Tralfaz »

Isn't Mr Shelby's house the same one used in the Sixth Position?

It appears about 3/4 of a way thru the episode. Magnum and Rabbi Salomon speak to him while he is practicing putting.

Here is the thread with RC's detailed pics from Sixth position

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... c&start=10

Tralfaz
Admiral

#8 Post by Tralfaz »

One last silly thing. When you visit the Byodo In temple you can ring the same bell as the monk in this episode.....it sounds nothing like what was dubbed in post production. (Which sounds more like a gong or large cymbal) Too Bad really..

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

You are correct about Mr. Shelby's house Tralfaz, nice find! A few pictures:

The features of the roof can be recognized in google earth here.

And Magnum walked around this area in The Sixth Position. What a place to live.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Another weaker episode. The only thing I like about it is Rabbi Solomon. A shorter review than usual from me – I just don’t have so much to say about these weaker stories.

[rating=7.5]

Higgins asks Magnum to collect an old friend, Rabbi Asher Solomon, from the airport, but on the drive back, they are ambushed, and the Rabbi’s sacred Torah is snatched. The pair team up to find the priceless artefact. Weak story saved by a good guest character…

-----

Well, we’re nearing the end of the fifth season now, and ‘Torah, Torah, Torah’ sadly doesn’t break the season’s mould of being mostly quite sub par and disappointing, especially when compared to the quality of the first four seasons.

The only decent thing about this episode is the weekly ‘guest character’, Rabbi Asher Solomon, well played by Nehemiah Persoff. The Rabbi is a likable character, and is the only saving grace about this otherwise routine and uninspiring outing. Rabbi Solomon’s moments – particularly when he tells Magnum of how he first met Higgins – are the only little touches that save this one from totally plummeting.

Other than the interest of the Torah being grabbed, the plot plods on through the paces, having little of real interest and having an almost generic feel to it. This is a real shame – in earlier seasons, ‘Magnum, p.i.’ had its own real identity and character, but with episodes like these… they could just have easily come from any standard detective series of the day.

As I have said for a number of fifth season episodes, many of the stories might have made decent ‘filler’ episodes to other seasons, but so many of them in a row at once really saw the show’s quality dip, which is a real shame, because I still really love the show overall.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* The opening trailer has a little used alternate version of the opening trailer theme. Unless I’m much mistaken, the only two instances it has been used previously is on the fourth season’s ‘Home From The Sea’ and ‘Luther Gillis: File #521’.

* Just something that made me laugh – T.C. even has an Island Hoppers cooking apron! (Maybe it was just me who found it amusing)

* I’m not sure if this is a flub or just down to the angle of shots – when Magnum and the Rabbi are ambushed in the Ferrari, the windshield smashes on the Rabbi’s side. Yet in shots afterwards, looking at the Rabbi from Magnum’s side of the Ferrari, the windshield doesn’t appear to be broken.

* Rick only appears in one scene in this story.

* Just to get REALLY trivial… Lt. Tanaka wears different glasses in this episode than in his previous appearances. …I have WAY too much time on my hands!

* When Rabbi Soloman tells Magnum that it is nearly the Sabbath, and that he will walk back to the Estate, Magnum says he will join him – but Magnum doesn’t lock the car, and even appears to leave one of the windows down. Aren’t there car thieves in Hawaii? (Not that it matters all that much, as a few seconds later, the car explodes anyway!)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MACattack »

Mazeltov!
I just don't give a damn!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Anybody catch this recent story? Reminded me of this episode.

5 Torah Scrolls in Brooklyn Are Returned After a Theft
NEW YORK TIMES
By TRYMAINE LEE
Published: May 2, 2010

Five Torah scrolls stolen from a Brooklyn synagogue last week were turned over to the Brooklyn district attorney’s office on Saturday night, according to the district attorney, Charles J. Hynes.

The scrolls, valued at more than $30,000 each, were turned in by a man whom the authorities did not identify and then returned to the Karlsburg Synagogue in Borough Park on Sunday afternoon.

“I am very pleased that I was able to facilitate the return of these sacred Torahs to the synagogue and the members of its congregation,” Mr. Hynes said in a statement.

According to the district attorney’s office, the man who turned in the scrolls did so because he felt that “it was the right thing to do” and the police did not suspect him of being involved in the theft, which occurred early Wednesday.

A spokesman for Mr. Hynes said that the office did not know whether any money had been paid for the return of the scrolls and the ornaments that were taken along with them. The office provided no further information about the man or how he came to have the scrolls.

A $10,000 reward for the return of the scrolls had been offered by Assemblyman Dov Hikind and City Councilman David G. Greenfield, but Mr. Hikind said on Sunday that until an arrest was made, the reward would probably go unclaimed.

The police said that the thief entered the synagogue, which is on 53rd Street between 15th and 16th Avenues, possibly through a first-floor window that was partly open or unlocked. There were no signs of forced entry.

The scrolls were in a safe with a combination lock, leaving investigators to surmise that the safe had been left open or that the thief knew the combination.

Issac Abraham, a well-known figure among Brooklyn’s Hasidim, said that much of the synagogue’s congregation, including its rabbi, was in Israel preparing for the holiday of Lag Baomer when the theft occurred.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#13 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

The story left out the part where TM helped track them down.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by steveadl »

I enjoyed this episode. Particularly liked the few conversations between Rabbi Solomon, TM and others like Lt Tanaka where they're quilting him into letting them see the file.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This episode was decent...good action and backstory with the Rabbi and Higgins (which we find out at the end).

The plot or storyline was somewhat odd, though. :shock: Never would've thought Magnum on the hunt for a stolen Torah. But, the action helps keep it going. Not a memorable or awesome episode...but still an entertaining one, none-the-less. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"