HAWAIIAN EYE

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: HAWAIIAN EYE

#31 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:54 pm Who showed his chest more in their series? Robert Conrad in HE or TS in Magnum? Just a rhetorical question. I saw a few eps of HE a few weeks ago on DECADES tv on the weekend, and it seemed like Conrad was baring his chest quite a bit.
I would vote for Robert Conrad in The Wild, Wild West. He changed his shirt in that train car more times than I can remember! There wasn’t even a beach or pool location as an excuse, so he would just change shirts. :lol:

Mr. Mike
Commander

#32 Post by Mr. Mike »

There is a discussion about Hawaiian Eye and other old TV series at the forum connected with my Hawaii Five-O site:

https://hawaiifiveo.org/forum/showthrea ... waiian-Eye

There are some interesting links in the postings.

The general consensus as to why these shows have not been released on DVDs is that there are issues with music rights. With Hawaiian Eye, for example, Connie Stevens would typically sing popular songs in shows.

Pahonu

#33 Post by Pahonu »

Mr. Mike wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:51 am There is a discussion about Hawaiian Eye and other old TV series at the forum connected with my Hawaii Five-O site:

The general consensus as to why these shows have not been released on DVDs is that there are issues with music rights. With Hawaiian Eye, for example, Connie Stevens would typically sing popular songs in shows.
That’s a big hurdle to old series getting released on DVD, and the potential sales have to be weighed against the cost of procuring the new rights. It kept WKRP IN Cincinnati in limbo for years and they ended up dubbing in random music for the radio hits of its era. ASCAP rights are very different for broadcast and physical recordings.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:08 pm
Mr. Mike wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:51 am There is a discussion about Hawaiian Eye and other old TV series at the forum connected with my Hawaii Five-O site:

That’s a big hurdle to old series getting released on DVD, and the potential sales have to be weighed against the cost of procuring the new rights. It kept WKRP IN Cincinnati in limbo for years and they ended up dubbing in random music for the radio hits of its era. ASCAP rights are very different for broadcast and physical recordings.
Plus, a lot of the older shows (such as 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, etc...) are now in public domain. That’s why there’s multiple homemade DVD sets of these shows out there. So, I’m not sure what copyrights for Warner Bros. would still even be in place?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Mr. Mike
Commander

#35 Post by Mr. Mike »

[A] lot of the older shows (such as 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, etc...) are now in public domain. That’s why there’s multiple homemade DVD sets of these shows out there. So, I’m not sure what copyrights for Warner Bros. would still even be in place?
Can you provide a link to some source which discusses the issue of how long copyright is (at least in the USA) for TV shows? I would suspect that Warner Brothers, being a big company, would make sure that anything they produced had its copyright renewed after the initial period of 50 years or whatever.

There is a list on this WWW site (which dates back 7 years) of some TV shows which reportedly did NOT have their copyrights renewed:

https://www.answers.com/Q/What_tv_show_ ... lic_domain

I don't think you can assume that just because some TV show is "old" (Hawaiian Eye dates back about 63 years) that it is in the "public domain."

As far as the "homemade sets" are concerned, I am skeptical that this has anything to do with someone knowing that the show for that set is in the "public domain." I think in many cases, the release of these sets is motivated by greed or maybe altruism by collectors who feel that these shows shouldn't be allowed to disappear.

I don't know if this happened for Magnum, but prior to Hawaii Five-O being officially released on DVD starting in 2007, there were often "complete sets" issued of the show based on recordings off TV which were advertised in various places. I didn't bother to track what happened to these shows. I suspect that prosecuting people releasing stuff like this depends on whether someone thinks "it is worth it," sort of like the way there is tons of stuff on YouTube -- videos, music, movies, etc. -- that is blatantly illegal, since it was originally released fairly recently.

I did hear from a few people who purchased these bootleg H50 sets, and the general consensus was that the quality of both the discs and the episodes themselves was crappy.

Pahonu

#36 Post by Pahonu »

Mr. Mike wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:22 pm
[A] lot of the older shows (such as 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, etc...) are now in public domain. That’s why there’s multiple homemade DVD sets of these shows out there. So, I’m not sure what copyrights for Warner Bros. would still even be in place?
Can you provide a link to some source which discusses the issue of how long copyright is (at least in the USA) for TV shows? I would suspect that Warner Brothers, being a big company, would make sure that anything they produced had its copyright renewed after the initial period of 50 years or whatever.

There is a list on this WWW site (which dates back 7 years) of some TV shows which reportedly did NOT have their copyrights renewed:

I don't think you can assume that just because some TV show is "old" (Hawaiian Eye dates back about 63 years) that it is in the "public domain."

As far as the "homemade sets" are concerned, I am skeptical that this has anything to do with someone knowing that the show for that set is in the "public domain." I think in many cases, the release of these sets is motivated by greed or maybe altruism by collectors who feel that these shows shouldn't be allowed to disappear.

I don't know if this happened for Magnum, but prior to Hawaii Five-O being officially released on DVD starting in 2007, there were often "complete sets" issued of the show based on recordings off TV which were advertised in various places. I didn't bother to track what happened to these shows. I suspect that prosecuting people releasing stuff like this depends on whether someone thinks "it is worth it," sort of like the way there is tons of stuff on YouTube -- videos, music, movies, etc. -- that is blatantly illegal, since it was originally released fairly recently.

I did hear from a few people who purchased these bootleg H50 sets, and the general consensus was that the quality of both the discs and the episodes themselves was crappy.
I would start here:

https://www.ascap.com/help/ascap-licens ... ms-defined

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Mr. Mike wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:22 pm

I am not “assuming” anything...and I don’t go by something being in public domain just because it’s old. I’ve read different times in the past that those Warner Bros. TV shows were in public domain...and this is one reason official DVD sets have never been released. This is also why homemade DVD sets of old reruns off the Goodlife Network & MeTV are available a lot of online places. I have some original airings, complete with original commercials, and they’re actually in pretty good condition!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Pahonu

#38 Post by Pahonu »

What a complicated topic!!! :shock:

I found this list of TV series in the public domain. Most are from the very early 50’s or the defunct Dumont Network. A handful of 60’s and even The Betty White Show from the 70’s are. This is for failure of renewal and is quite rare. Some, like The Andy Griffith Show apply to just a handful of episodes not the whole series.

I don’t see any of the Warner Bros. detective series.

https://www.reruncentury.com/ia/

The rules for music are even more complex. :shock:
From Wikipedia:

Sound recordings

Very few sound recordings are in the public domain in the United States. Sound recordings fixed in a tangible form before February 15, 1972, have been generally covered by common law or in some cases by anti-piracy statutes enacted in certain states, not by federal copyright law, and the anti-piracy statutes typically have no duration limit. The 1971 Sound Recordings Act, effective 1972,[8] and the 1976 Copyright Act, effective 1978, provide federal copyright for unpublished and published sound recordings fixed on or after February 15, 1972. Recordings fixed before February 15, 1972, are still covered, to varying degrees, by common law or state statutes.[9][10] Any rights or remedies under state law for sound recordings fixed before February 15, 1972, are not annulled or limited by the 1976 Copyright Act until February 15, 2067.[11] On that date, all sound recordings fixed before February 15, 1972, will go into the public domain in the United States.

For sound recordings fixed on or after February 15, 1972, the earliest year that any will go out of copyright and into the public domain in the U.S. will be 2043,[13] and not in any substantial number until 2048.[14] Sound recordings fixed and published on or after February 15, 1972, and before 1978, which did not carry a proper copyright notice on the recording or its cover entered the public domain on publication.[15] From 1978 to March 1, 1989, the owners of the copyrights had up to five years to remedy this omission without losing the copyright.[16] Since March 1, 1989, no copyright notice has been required.[17]

In September 2018, the US Senate passed the Music Modernization Act, where sound recordings released before 1957 will enter the public domain 95 years after their first release. Recordings from 1957 to 1972 will enter the public domain in 2067.[36]

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by eagle »

308GUY wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:39 pm For those who liked the Star Wars franchise.....does it detract from your enjoyment knowing that none of it is "real"?
Wait... what?????

:D

Not at all. I'm going to have to check out this show.

I still like Simon & Simon even though Rick's house was in LA, and much of it wasn't filmed in San Diego.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Meanwhile, back to the Hawaiian Eye thread:

Tonight MeTV Plus ran episode 2, season 4 of Hawaiian Eye(10-9-62) titled "Somewhere There's Music".
Ten minutes in I knew I had seen it before and I had.
No it wasn't another case of Warner Brothers switching scripts between their TV series.
Rather it was those goniffs from CBS's Hawaii 5-0.
Airing Oct 14. 1970, almost 8 years to the day after ABC ran the original,the Hawaii 5-0 episode "The Guarnerius Caper" is a clone of the Hawaiian Eye version, though it's a toss up as to which is better.
I have to give it to Hawaiian Eye as any show that features the hauntingly beautiful face of Connie Stevens plus her singing is hard to top.
I was perplexed by the script sharing, as these two series were from different studios.

So I did some quick research.
The credits for the Hawaiian Eye version list one Ken Pettus as the author, while Hawaii 5-0 lists Leonard Freeman and then Ken Pettus. 
 I guess Freeman grabbed himself a writing fee for changing a few names for his remake. How nice for Pettus that he is listed after Freeman.

Frankly I am surprised because Hawaii 5-0 had a big budget,why was CBS recycling old Warner Brothers scripts?
And how many more times was this done?
Am I am going to come across a Hawaii 5-0 episode titled The Maui Falcon where McGarrett crosses swords with private dick Sam Spade?
The Treasure of the Sierra Makaleha? How about Knute Rockne, All Hawaiian?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:43 am Meanwhile, back to the Hawaiian Eye thread:

Tonight MeTV Plus ran episode 2, season 4 of Hawaiian Eye(10-9-62) titled "Somewhere There's Music".
No it wasn't another case of Warner Brothers switching scripts between their TV series.
Airing Oct 14. 1970, almost 8 years to the day after ABC ran the original,the Hawaii 5-0 episode "The Guarnerius Caper" is a clone of the Hawaiian Eye version, though it's a toss up as to which is better.
I have to give it to Hawaiian Eye as any show that features the hauntingly beautiful face of Connie Stevens plus her singing is hard to top.
I was perplexed by the script sharing, as these two series were from different studios.

The credits for the Hawaiian Eye version list one Ken Pettus as the author, while Hawaii 5-0 lists Leonard Freeman and then Ken Pettus. 
 I guess Freeman grabbed himself a writing fee for changing a few names for his remake. How nice for Pettus that he is listed after Freeman.

Frankly I am surprised because Hawaii 5-0 had a big budget,why was CBS recycling old Warner Brothers scripts?
Am I am going to come across a Hawaii 5-0 episode titled The Maui Falcon where McGarrett crosses swords with private dick Sam Spade?
Very cool...and awesome “detective” work! I love and have both shows, and I had not put these two episodes together before. But, sometimes even big-budget shows will reuse plot ideas (either of their own episodes if the show is on long enough—Perry Mason did this during its last season, or from other shows) for whatever reasons, and may have to still include the original writer/s for legal purposes.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:43 am Meanwhile, back to the Hawaiian Eye thread:

Actually "The Guarnerius Caper" gave sole writing credit to Ken Pettus. Lenny Freeman had nothing to do with this one. Lenny did write or co-write a few episodes (not many) but this wasn't one of them. If you're looking at IMDB then you'll see Freeman credited under every episode (since he was the exec. producer) but that doesn't mean he was the writer. If you watch the episode you'll see "Written by Ken Pettus". That's it.

As to which episode is better? Come now, of course "Guarnerius"! :lol: Two words - ANTHONY JAMES! The scuzziest creep (along with his equally creepy buddy) in all of Five-O-dom! Terrific character actor with a great looking (creepy) face who never gave a bad performance! Sorry, but Connie Stevens just can't compare. :wink:

Pahonu

#43 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:43 am
I don’t know the particular details here, but if it was because of a writer’s guild strike then the studio would go with any properties they already own. It wasn’t about CBS having the money to buy new scripts in that moment. They likely couldn’t buy any new scripts from any writer at the time, whether the writer was a union member or not. Members wouldn’t cross the line and any hopeful writers would risk ever being allowed to join the guild if they acted as a scab. MPI just delayed production in 1980 until the strike was resolved. That’s more typical.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:44 pm
I don’t know the particular details here, but if it was because of a writer’s guild strike then the studio would go with any properties they already own. It wasn’t about CBS having the money to buy new scripts in that moment. They likely couldn’t buy any new scripts from any writer at the time, whether the writer was a union member or not. Members wouldn’t cross the line and any hopeful writers would risk ever being allowed to join the guild if they acted as a scab. MPI just delayed production in 1980 until the strike was resolved. That’s more typical.
CBS I suppose could have acquired some old stories/scripts of past shows at some point...but Hawaiian Eye was originally an ABC show, whereas “5-0” was CBS. So unless CBS had already legally acquired the rights to the script previously, they wouldn’t have had it readily available for use for a new episode. But, maybe the writer, Ken Pettus, still owned the rights to his story & whoever paid him to use the script legally could make an episode off it.

Pahonu

#45 Post by Pahonu »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:01 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:44 pm
CBS I suppose could have acquired some old stories/scripts of past shows at some point...but Hawaiian Eye was originally an ABC show, whereas “5-0” was CBS. So unless CBS had already legally acquired the rights to the script previously, they wouldn’t have had it readily available for use for a new episode. But, maybe the writer, Ken Pettus, still owned the rights to his story & whoever paid him to use the script legally could make an episode off it.
I don’t know any of those details unfortunately, but new scripts from writers during a strike would be hard to come by!