"Old Dusseldorf" What kinda beer what it be?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

"Old Dusseldorf" What kinda beer what it be?

#1 Post by perfectlykevin »

I won't even pretend to be a beer expert, but thinking of making my own "Old Dusseldorf" label. I know from the show, it's gotta be in a longneck, and brewed in the old German style here in Maryland. Would it be a lighter beer, or thick and dark like Guiness (which is about the extent of my knowledge of beer :oops: )?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Maybe a project I'll take on down the road. 8)

Kev

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Miss Q »

I think it would be a darker beer, but not a stout. Perhaps a wheat beer as welll
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Miss Q wrote:I think it would be a darker beer, but not a stout. Perhaps a wheat beer as welll
I'm thinking a Belgian wheat/sweeter type of beer.

If you're going to be watching football, and live in a warmer climate, something like a stout is NOT going to do you very well.

Know this is totally from a Michigan connection, but anyone who's ever had Bell's Oberon is the sort of thing that I was thinking for it - kinda orangey.

Although Old Dusseldorf sounds something like a PBR or something like that, so a more "modern" tasting beer wouldn't necessarily fit the persona of the name....

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by lutherhgillis »

It should be an amber beer. A microbrew for sure. It could be brewed in the wine cellar of the estate. 'Import' the ingredients from Maryland...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

lutherhgillis wrote:It should be an amber beer. A microbrew for sure. It could be brewed in the wine cellar of the estate. 'Import' the ingredients from Maryland...
There's a compromise!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think it would be along the lines of Bravarian beers. Think of something you'd drink for Octoberfest. Hey, let's get busy and brew a batch!

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Vanity »

I agree with NIKWYT, more of a German pilz.
Why else would they call it Old Düsseledorfer ?
Traditional Belgian beers (there are over 200 varieties) are much stronger in taste and alcohol, and I doubt that TM would appreciate them in the Pacific heat.
I know what you're thinking...

VM02
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by VM02 »

It must not be very expensive, since Magnum drinks it. Although I guess if it just sits forever on his tab it might be...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, presumably "Old Dusseldorf" originated from Dusseldorf, Germany, or was at least inspired by beers from that region. Dusseldorf is famous for Altbier (or "Alt"), a pale ale. I always pictured "Old Dusseldorf" as an Alt.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carmen
MPI

#10 Post by Carmen »

Right, at Düsseldorf Germany they have many famous breweries for that special kind of beer.
Funny note: Back in the 70th I guess there was a song in Germany, mostly sung at "Bierfests", can`t remember it all, but it goes something like "there is no beer in Hawaii, there is no beer, that`s why we drink it here, our beer, we drink it here..."
Whenever Magnum tells anyone how hard it is to find "Old Dusseldorf" , this silly song crosses my mind. :wink:

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by perfectlykevin »

Anyone remeber the episode, where Magnum describes "Old Dusseldorf?" I think it was something along the lines of, an old style German beer, brewed in Maryland (presumably from his Annapolis days). Hard to find on the islands...

I want to say it was in the first couple of seasons??

Kev

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

perfectlykevin wrote:Anyone remeber the episode, where Magnum describes "Old Dusseldorf?" I think it was something along the lines of, an old style German beer, brewed in Maryland (presumably from his Annapolis days). Hard to find on the islands...

I want to say it was in the first couple of seasons??

Kev
"No More Mr. Nice Guy" (Season 4).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IslandHopper76
Ensign

How to explain the taste of old-beer in a forum ;-)

#13 Post by IslandHopper76 »

Funny to hear that he talked especially about old beer from Duesseldorf.

I live in that region, and can tell you, that it is a strong dark beer with a very unique taste.

There are in fact several companies which brew this beer-but it is only (I thought) popular in the region of northrine westfalia.

Most popular oldbeers in Germany are:

Schloesser Alt, Schumacher Alt, Gatz ( From the Gatzweiler Brewery)
Frankenheim Alt, only to name some.

If you ever go to germany, you should try it....but be careful, there is more alcohol inside than in a Millers or Coors.

Funny thing is also, that there is a little war between Duesseldorf and Cologne about which city brews the best beer. In fact, these two towns are nearly neighbours.

Means as much as that It is better for you, not to order an old beer in
Cologne, and you shouldn´t try to order a Koelsch (which is the the Cologne-beer) in Duesseldorf.

I hope I could help a bit...

Greets, Morten

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by grapeshot »

I guess there was a song in Germany, mostly sung at "Bierfests", can`t remember it all, but it goes something like "there is no beer in Hawaii, there is no beer, that`s why we drink it here, our beer, we drink it here..."

Heh. I wonder if this song is closely related to the polka song that we sing here in Wisconsin:

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we drink it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all the beer

Carmen
MPI

#15 Post by Carmen »

IslandHopper76, he isn`t talking about beer from Duesseldorf, he said the beer is named "Old Duesseldorf" and was brewed in Maryland. So maybe it`s like "Hannen Alt" or some other of that kind, or maybe not.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)