1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Resolutions (2) (8.13)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Resolutions (2) (8.13). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 5/1/1988
As Rick's wedding looms ever closer, Magnum continues his surveillance on Linda to try and catch the psychopathic killer who is stalking her. T.C. faces a reconciliation with his estranged wife. And Magnum gets some surprising news about his theory that Higgins is really Robin Masters, as well as the true fate of Lily.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maggiepoole
Captain

#2 Post by maggiepoole »

Ok, so I couldn't help myself. I jumped to the end of the DVD, needed to have my own resolution. :wink: It was odd how there was no voice overs and how scenes ended and jumped to another - uncharacteristic of Magnum. Also, there were many unanswered questions left (possibly answered by a Magnum movie!?). But I guess the unanswered questions were a continuing theme of Magnum, so it seem only fitting? I would have liked to have seen Higgins, Rick, and TC's reaction to Lily and some interaction. She just kind of shows up at the end, but I loved Magnum's reaction and interaction with her as she walked up the aisle. Was there a spark there between Carol and Magnum too?

Question - if Thomas was planning on "re uping" and wearing the naval uniform to the wedding. What was the jacket that he put in the Ferrari? Did I miss something? Oh well, guess I need to watch it again. :roll:
Trying to reach my full snail potential.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#3 Post by Shermy »

I think this is the superior half of the finale, mainly because the Lily subplot is the most satisfying one they resolve. When he is finally reunited with her, it's a very moving scene. It's the type of emotional connection that the Tidewater scenes are missing, since the audience has such little invested in that part of Magnum's life. You just can't generate a lot of enthusiasm for characters you've basically only met in one previous episode.
maggiepoole wrote:I would have liked to have seen Higgins, Rick, and TC's reaction to Lily and some interaction.
It does seem a little strange that Magnum fails to introduce Lily to Higgins, Rick, and TC. Not only has he just learned that she's still alive, but that he's actually her dad as well. It's even stranger considering that they are all gathered at the estate when he returns.

I have mixed feelings on the resolutions here. On one hand, Magnum's return to the Navy is a perfect way to resolve the show. Suddenly, the entire series takes on a new meaning, in that it's been Magnum's way of working through the issues he brought home from the war. It's basically his second childhood that he finally has to grow out of.

But at the same time, it's a little disappointing to realize that the entire dynamic of the show is over. Unlike many finales, we're not left feeling that the characters will continue to evolve and grow old together. By removing Magnum (and his investigations), the characters lose the essential link that had kept them so close for so many years.

Higgins fares the worst here, and it's the one aspect that somehow just doesn't seem right. We know Higgins would be more of a grandfather to Lily than her great-grandfather ever could've been. (Or that her step-grandfather will be.) We also know that Magnum's absence will affect him deeply, as we saw in One More Summer. Overall, I'd prefer to think that Magnum resumed his naval career, but continued to reside at the estate.

As for Rick, I actually thought he got the best of all the "friend" subplots. Cleo obviously wasn't right for him, but that's perfectly in keeping with the tone of the show (and character). The final joke was exactly how that subplot should've ended. Even if Rick went through with it, there's no way it could've possibly lasted.

Finally, the subplot for poor TC felt almost like an afterthought. There's really no reason to think that he and his ex-wife will finally work through their differences, but at least he's finally got his son back. Bryant's inclusion in these final episodes bolsters The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company, and makes it a lot more essential than it is on its own merits.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

Shermy wrote: I have mixed feelings on the resolutions here. On one hand, Magnum's return to the Navy is a perfect way to resolve the show. Suddenly, the entire series takes on a new meaning, in that it's been Magnum's way of working through the issues he brought home from the war. It's basically his second childhood that he finally has to grow out of.

But at the same time, it's a little disappointing to realize that the entire dynamic of the show is over. Unlike many finales, we're not left feeling that the characters will continue to evolve and grow old together. By removing Magnum (and his investigations), the characters lose the essential link that had kept them so close for so many years.

Higgins fares the worst here, and it's the one aspect that somehow just doesn't seem right. We know Higgins would be more of a grandfather to Lily than her great-grandfather ever could've been. (Or that her step-grandfather will be.) We also know that Magnum's absence will affect him deeply, as we saw in One More Summer. Overall, I'd prefer to think that Magnum resumed his naval career, but continued to reside at the estate.

As for Rick, I actually thought he got the best of all the "friend" subplots. Cleo obviously wasn't right for him, but that's perfectly in keeping with the tone of the show (and character). The final joke was exactly how that subplot should've ended. Even if Rick went through with it, there's no way it could've possibly lasted.

Finally, the subplot for poor TC felt almost like an afterthought. There's really no reason to think that he and his ex-wife will finally work through their differences, but at least he's finally got his son back. Bryant's inclusion in these final episodes bolsters The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company, and makes it a lot more essential than it is on its own merits.
I'd have to agree Shermy on some points but I disagree on some others.

I look at this episode (actually the entire season, now that I look at it) making a metaphor out of the entire series, and that "Resolutions" is almost a catharsis of sorts.

If you go back to the pilot episode, Magnum says "I woke up one day at 33 and realized I'd never been 23". I think the entire series pretty much revolves around that ONE statement at some level or another, and the psychiatrist in "Pleasure Principle" hit it on the head when he told Magnum that he needed to grow up. I think his near death experieince and events leading up to this episode have made Magnum realize that he DOES need to grow up and go back to the Navy.

In terms of Magnum's great grandfather, I thought the inclusion of him in this episode was kind of lame. I mean, I get the character comparison of him and Magnum in terms of personality, but I felt the character was pretty disagreeable in general. The only thing I can say is that maybe it was looking at his great-grandfather and the way he lived his life that made Magnum solidify his decision.

I'd like to believe that Magnum remained in Hawaii with his friends to raise Lily, instead of returning back to Tidewater. I agree with Shermy that Higgins would be a better grandfatherly figure than anyone in Magnum's family. (One thing on my wish list for this episode would be for Frank Peterson to show up and complain about his asthma and Higgins drop the "Karate Chop of Doom" on him).

Other than that, I think it ended up on a decent note.. Higgins "retires" per se, Magnum raises Lily, Rick goes on being Rick, and TC goes back to his family (which I think was a request of R.E.M.).

Hmmmmm

As I write this, I've come up with another of my kooky ideas....

OK, its been established (or at least I have) that Magnum PI is about Magnum shirking responsibility and living this crazy life after having a rigid and structured military background, and the end of the series is for him to return back to that life.

So Magnum being covered, here are the other shirked responsibilities.....

TC goes back to his family (which I believe he left shortly after the birth of Melody, given the duration of the series and her age).

Rick, well, I don;t know what Rick does. Maybe re-open the Snow Palace?

Now, as for Higgins and the "shirking responsibility" thing, maybe he ditches the Robin Masters facade and starts publishing under his own name?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

I agree about the grandfather. It's a clever idea, but it's also a little strange to try and introduce him in the final episode. The other problem is that, while he may have faults, we already think of Magnum as a pretty good guy. He's extremely loyal to his friends, and hasn't had any trouble staying in one place for a long period of time. We don't have any problem with Lily being returned to him, because we believe there's no one better. So the grandfather comparison/argument doesn't ring very true at all.
Doc Ibold wrote:I look at this episode (actually the entire season, now that I look at it) making a metaphor out of the entire series, and that "Resolutions" is almost a catharsis of sorts.
Yeah, this is what I was referring to when I said it puts the entire series into perspective. Magnum finally moves beyond his arrested adolescence, and the naval career provides a logical way to conclude things.

But even though it's a convenient end, I'm not really sure if it's the right one for Magnum. We've seen him forced to deal with that life throughout the series (most notably in Blood and Honor), and it's never been a good fit for him. As with TC and his ex-wife, there's not much evidence to suggest that this time will be any different.

When viewed another way, it's not so much shirked responsibilities, as everyone returning to familiar territory that didn't work out in the past: Magnum and the Navy, TC and his marriage, Rick and monogamy, Higgins and a serious writing career. Sure it makes for some obvious conclusions, but at the same time, repeating the past is not always the best recipe for lasting change.

Oh well. I guess I just don't like to think of Higgins being left alone at the estate. :cry: :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

He'll be fine.

He's got the lads and Agatha!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

Doc Ibold wrote:He's got the lads and Agatha!
"Magnum! I demand that you come back IMMEDIATELY!!!" :lol:

stever
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by stever »

Am I losing my marbles? I could have sworn in the final episode that when Magnum started to walk down the aisle in his dress whites everyone sat there with their mouths open and Higgens said "oh my god" and that's how the series ended. Maybe I dreamed that? I don't remember anything about them all telling Rick to say "I do."
SR

Tralfaz
Admiral

#9 Post by Tralfaz »

I always liked to think that the little clip at the end where Magnum is in his 'Khaki' uniform in the guest house and says 'Goodnight' meant even after he reinlists he and Lily remain at the estate.
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

maggiepoole
Captain

#10 Post by maggiepoole »

I definitely like this ending much better than the ending of season 7. Although, it seems like they tried to put two season's worth of stories into one. Some of the story line seems to be missing, or maybe it is just me? The whole Rick story line of marrying Cleo doesn't seem quite right. I understand them wanting to marry Rick off, but Cleo doesn't seem to love him or be the best match. Where did this come from anyway? He was out with someone else in the Pleasure Principle, and then in Resolutions Magnum just mentions Rick's impending marriage.

Season 8 is a great season, just a shame it couldn't have been allowed to blossom properly. But, I guess beggars can't be choosey. Lucky to have it all! Still, it makes you wonder about those 8 years that Magnum was a private investigator. For some reason the ending leaves me a bit uneasy, and I am not sure why! I think Magnum will be Magnum whatever he is doing - private investigator or naval officer. Just kind of sad that he has to "grow up". But, I also console myself with the loss of the P.I. Magnum that he has a renewed sense of commitment to his country and beliefs (the whole Annapolis/DC montage). Not to mention his commitment to his daughter.

Then there was this:
An indication that Magnum will never really grow up, especially with the help of his daughter. :wink:

This makes me cry every time!! :cry:

I always wondered why they didn't really touch much on his years in the Navy. Wouldn't have there been some stories there? Also, what did he do with all his money?? Did he not make anything while he was in the navy? Oh, those unanswered questions!

Oh, and one last thing. If he decides to do some PI work on the side in the Navy, at least he can get his own information. :wink:

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#11 Post by Shermy »

I loved that goodbye wave that he gave to Lily. Magnum was a little too morose in the first half of the episode, and it was great to finally see the Thomas Magnum we all know and love reappear.
maggiepoole wrote:Still, it makes you wonder about those 8 years that Magnum was a private investigator. For some reason the ending leaves me a bit uneasy, and I am not sure why!
For me, it's that subtle implication that Magnum was somehow "wrong" to have ever become a PI. As if he made a mistake with his life, and now he has to do the right thing and correct it. The only problem with this is that the show has just spent 8 years convincing us that Magnum was unhappy in uniform, but very happy in a Hawaiian shirt.

I'm not really criticizing the ending, since I think it works for what it is. But it's definitely an idea that may not bear too much scrutiny. You also gotta figure a show about serviceman Thomas Magnum would not have been quite as successful as the one about the PI version. :wink:

VM02
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by VM02 »

As much as I loved this episode:
Reunion with Lily
I do?
I lied.
Maggie Poole

I've aways struggled with some things:
What is TM doing with Lee? Out of Character. Is he suppossed to be choosing between her and Navy? Her and Lily?
TC subplot seems forced
Maggie Poole - If you would've kept investigating you would have endangered Lilys life thing. Huh?
Jim Bonnick -
Finally, He becomes a single parent and Re-ups all at once. Wouldn't this have been kinda hard to pull off? Hes a Seal/NI officer for goodness sake - Whos gonna watch the poor little girl while hes deployed? Wouldn't TM as a Single Father giving up a chance to rejoin the Navy be more in character?

My thinking is that the best series finale would have been "Unfinished Business."

maggiepoole
Captain

#13 Post by maggiepoole »

Shermy wrote:I loved that goodbye wave that he gave to Lily. Magnum was a little too morose in the first half of the episode, and it was great to finally see the Thomas Magnum we all know and love reappear.
maggiepoole wrote:Still, it makes you wonder about those 8 years that Magnum was a private investigator. For some reason the ending leaves me a bit uneasy, and I am not sure why!
For me, it's that subtle implication that Magnum was somehow "wrong" to have ever become a PI. As if he made a mistake with his life, and now he has to do the right thing and correct it. The only problem with this is that the show has just spent 8 years convincing us that Magnum was unhappy in uniform, but very happy in a Hawaiian shirt.

I'm not really criticizing the ending, since I think it works for what it is. But it's definitely an idea that may not bear too much scrutiny. You also gotta figure a show about serviceman Thomas Magnum would not have been quite as successful as the one about the PI version. :wink:
Yep, that is exactly it! :wink: Ok, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Hope I don't have the parking ticket for the shrink visit. :wink:
Time to start season 1 again. :D

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by Kahunagirl »

One thing that I found odd was that TM (and his father and his grandfather) is Thomas Sullivan Magnum ... yet, wasn't Sullivan his mother's maiden name? When his aunt came to visit in an earlier season, didn't she tell him he looked just like "Sully" -- which I thought was a reference to her late husband, TM's uncle. Were there Sullivans on both sides of the family tree, or was this just a writer's goof? I guess it could happen ... I have a friend who's a Campbell and his mother's maiden name was also Campbell, but totally unrelated (he claims)!

Kahunagirl

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#15 Post by Shermy »

Kahunagirl wrote:One thing that I found odd was that TM (and his father and his grandfather) is Thomas Sullivan Magnum ... yet, wasn't Sullivan his mother's maiden name?
I thought that was a little odd as well, especially since many episodes in Season 8 had him reflecting on the "Sullivan side" of the family.