No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 99

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Computer Date (2.14)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Computer Date (2.14). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/14/1982
While Magnum works on a case of computer espionage, the president of the company asks him to also investigate his wife, who he believes is having an affair. After Magnum begins his investigation, his loyalties are tested when he sees that the is indeed having an affair...with Rick!

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by sophia »

I just watched this episode on Sleuth. I just found out that Claudia is Larry Manetti's real wife. I think they met when they both were on Battlestar Galatica in the late seventies. Their son was born in 1980.
Great little tidbit, loved this episode. Loved the end when Rick asks Magnum if he was trying to get him shot. Magnum tells him I knew what I was doing, just trust me. :)

I thought I read that Larry's wife Nancy Decarl was on Battlestar Galactica,
but now I can't find it.
They met before she appeared on the episode "Computer Date" because their son was born in October or November of 1980.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, thanks sophia. I didn't realize their son was born in 1980.

Ok, "Mac"s ID badge clearly says "Mac [space] Reynolds" in this episode. I always thought his last name was "MacReynolds" (first name unknown), with a nickname of "Mac". Based on this ID badge, are we to assume that his first name is "Mac" and his last name is "Reynolds"? Or would a military ID badge break out the "Mac" and "Reynolds" in spelling out the last name?

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by sophia »

James
I don't know why his badge is like that, but I always thought his first
name was Mac.
I went back and
I think you are right about Mac being his nickname.
Never realized that one.
Oh well, you learn something new here everyday.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

I think his name WAS MacReynolds, simply because when someone referred to him it was always as Lt. MacReynolds said together like it was one word (notables include Carol and Maggie). Also, to me, it would sound pretty strange if you called someone "Lt. Mack Reynolds". Why wouldn't you just call him "Lt. Reynolds"?

But then again, they always called Colonel Greene "Colonel Buck Greene"

:?

I'm totally contradicting myself, but my story is that MacReynolds is the name, and I'm stickin' to it!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Love the denouement in this one. Higgins is relieved to find out that Lady Ashley (whom he hasn't seen in "decades") is no longer "built like the Prince Albert Memorial" (LOL), and has aged in a similiar manner as him (i.e. she's put on a little weight). How surprised he must have been then, when in a couple of years (in "Echoes of the Mind"), she returns and sports the body of a runway model (and is about 6 inches taller)*! :shock:

* This is, of course, due to "Lady Ashley" being played by two different actresses, but still! ;)

One other thing, T.C. is seen wearing a hawaiian shirt in this episode. For the life of me, I can't recall seeing him wear a hawaiian shirt in any other episode. How about you guys?

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I thought there were two different Lady Ashleys, but I was not certain that the two episodes were about the same character given how different they look. :wink:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Love the denouement in this one. Higgins is relieved to find out that Lady Ashley (whom he hasn't seen in "decades") is no longer "built like the Prince Albert Memorial" (LOL), and has aged in a similiar manner as him (i.e. she's put on a little weight). How surprised he must have been then, when in a couple of years (in "Echoes of the Mind"), she returns and sports the body of a runway model (and is about 6 inches taller)*! :shock:
Actually James,

I took it a bit differently that since she had the "travelling companion, Paolo" Higgins realized that it was pointless to be in shape to impress her and said "To heck with this", since she was already with another man.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I got that Doc. I was just being ironically humorous. You know, sardonic-like*. ;)

* An "inside" joke, addressed to Doc.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Yeah, I got that Doc. I was just being ironically humorous. You know, sardonic-like*. ;)

* An "inside" joke, addressed to Doc.
Yeah,

Doc is dumb.....

:oops:

Should never try to surf Magnum Mania in the process of doing billing.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by lutherhgillis »

For me, this was a good episode. It took a while for me to put the whole story together (the first time I watched, of course). All along, Magnum and Rick were being set up. Pretty clever writing.

I enjoy watching this one now just to see the old computer equipment and security stuff. Wow, talk about out of date... And its always good to see Mac.

BTW, I always thought his name tag said Mac Reynolds as opposed to McReynolds or MacReynolds. Did aanyone hear him ever called anthing except Mac? (Ski doesn't count or was it Skeet?)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yet another episode that features some unused footage in the end credits...

I could be wrong, but I believe this is the only time in the series we see Higgins smoke a cigarette.

For those that watch American Idol (I used to, but not anymore), doesn't Paulo look a heck of a lot like David Archuleta (from Season 7)? Weird.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's another fun little observation sent to me by my friend J.G.. I'm not going to put it in the episode guide, so I'll reference it here:
When Magnum pulls up in front of the Global Industries Corporation building to meet with James Randolph (Charles Aidman), the tower clock behind him reads about 10 o'clock a.m. When Magnum enters Mr. Randolph's office, Mr. Randolph pours himself a bourbon and soda in a highball glass. Either the clock is wrong, or Mr. Randolph starts drinking at 10 a.m. at the office during the workday!
Ah, the good old days - wet bar in the office, ashtray on the desk, secretary calling you on the intercom. ;)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Frodoleader »

James J. Walters wrote:Here's another fun little observation sent to me by my friend J.G.. I'm not going to put it in the episode guide, so I'll reference it here:
When Magnum pulls up in front of the Global Industries Corporation building to meet with James Randolph (Charles Aidman), the tower clock behind him reads about 10 o'clock a.m. When Magnum enters Mr. Randolph's office, Mr. Randolph pours himself a bourbon and soda in a highball glass. Either the clock is wrong, or Mr. Randolph starts drinking at 10 a.m. at the office during the workday!
Ah, the good old days - wet bar in the office, ashtray on the desk, secretary calling you on the intercom. ;)
Or is it - chasing the secretary around your desk?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Tuesday / Wednesday’s review. Not an outstanding favourite, but not bad either.

[rating=8.5]

While Higgins struggles to get in shape for the visit of an old flame, Magnum works on a case of computer espionage. But when the company president asks him investigate his wife’s possible affair, Magnum finds that the woman is seeing Rick! A reasonable ep…

-----

At this point, things feel to be slowly maturing in the show, working away from the ‘easy going’ feel of the first season, and gradually gliding towards the more serious, character based stories that would feature more prominently in late seasons.
And indeed, ‘Computer Date’ does feel in many ways like one of those later episodes.

Thankfully, the opening trailer does not spoil the revelation that Rick is having an affair, leaving it to come as a surprise in the episode. (Unfortunately for me, I had already read about it before I saw this episode!)

The woman Rick is having an affair with, Claudia Randolph, is played by Larry Manetti’s then-wife Nancy DeCarl. However, I never felt that their on-screen matching was totally convincing, and didn’t fully buy that Rick would sink into a relationship with this woman.
Feeling betrayed by Magnum not telling him that he was working for Claudia’s husband, Rick throws a punch at him – resulting all of the main co-stars having punched Magnum (T.C. in the first season’s ‘Thicker Than Blood’, and Higgins in ‘Tropical Madness’ earlier this season).

The fact that one of the four main characters of the series is having an affair goes against the clean-cut feel of many of the other shows around at the time. Magnum himself embarks upon a brief affair in the sixth season’s ‘The Kona Winds’.

The episode is one of the few examples of the series where Magnum is torn by ethics, split between taking the case and telling his friend. It is a nice touch, and I like how he subtly sounds Higgins out for advice.

The subplot, of Higgins trying to get in shape, provides the comedy of the episode. In a mostly serious plot, it is welcome relief, even if the final scene, when Lady Ashley (also mentioned in a few other episodes) arrives, is rather strange.

This episode isn’t one of my favourites, but it is one of the better of the season and a fair watch.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Rick’s (possible) house is seen for a third time, after appearing in ‘The Woman on the Beach’ and ‘The Sixth Position’ position previously in the season.

* Rick is seen to drive his second car of the series, a convertible silver Mercedes, for the firs time (I’m not a car expert so don’t know the exact model).

* The DVD version of this episode has all of the commercial breaks abridged.

* Magnum wears his camo shorts for the first time at the end of the episode.

* The closing credits contain a little used variant of the theme. It was previously used on ‘Billy Joe Bob’ and ‘The Sixth Position’ (I had forgotten it was used on this episode too).

* …And as mentioned previously in this thread, the closing credits feature an extra, unused shot of Higgins smoking, from the final scene. (I can’t remember if this is the only occasion where we see him smoking; my mind is nagging me that there is one other instance, but I’m not certain).
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!