Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#211 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Something interesting I never knew all these years...there are lyrics to the HF0 theme song? Two different versions/lyrics actually, Don Ho & Sammy Davis, Jr....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9jN20RqJ4 (hang in there until about the 30 second mark)

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61agglsF-v0
Nice find RG!
I've only known the Ventures version without any lyrics.
Here are the actual lyrics for the versions you've found.......

First Don's.....
"If you're feelin' lonely
You can come with me
Feel my arms around you
Lay beside the seaaaaaa
We will think of somethin' to do
Do it til it's perfect for you
And for me too
You can come with meeeee.
So leave your world behind you
You can come with me
Sing a song I'll teach you
Live your fantasyyyyyyy
Love ya in a natural way
Doesn't matter what time of day
You and I play
You can come with meeeee
Won'tcha come with meeee
You can come with meeee."

Sammy Davis Jr. You Can Count On Me (Hawaii 5-0) Lyrics
If you get in trouble
Bring it home to me
Whether I am near you
Or across the sea

I will think of something to do
I'll be on the lookout for you
And I'll find you
You can count on me

And don't you let 'em get you
Up against the wall
'Cause I'll be there to catch you
And I won't let you fall

Call me if they hit you below
Call me when there's nowhere to go
And I'll be there
You can count on me (You can count on me)

And if they all desert you
And you start to bend
You know I won't let them hurt you
And I don't pretend

Don't call if you've got nothing to say
Don't call me if you just want to play
But call me on Devil's Day
You can count on me

You can count on
You can count on
You can count on
You can count on

Count on me!

Thanks again RG!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#212 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Lyrics to Five-0?

Well I'll ge a monkey's aunt. Nice find!
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#213 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote:
lutherhgillis wrote:I watched 5-0 during its first run...yea, I'm an old kodger. It was a great show but it did not weather well in reruns IMHO. It was dated and I just cannot get a good feeling about it now that its run is over. There are lots of shows that hit me the same way. They were great in their timeframe but outside of it, most of the thrill is lost (X Files is another).

MPI is not this way for me. I wish I knew exactly why. Anyone else?
I *strenuously* disagree with the above post. In fact, luthergillis, I would suggest that you be booked! :wink:

Why is the term "dated" used as a pejorative term? And yes, Magnum is dated, as is most everything 1980s. Five-O was in reruns for some twenty years after it ended, how could it not "fare well"?

Five-O's stories often highlighted things that would come to be like the computer hackers, domestic terrorism, serial killers, criminal pathology techniques, international intrigue, drugs, chemical and biological weapons, etc. Five-O handled these types of stories first and thirty years before these other programs like 24, Law & Order and its various clones, CSI and its dopplegangers...

So Five-O is dated only in that it was a harbinger of 21st century TV concepts and storytelling devices. :) And none of the new shows have a leading man like Jack Lord who has become an icon.
Hi Little Garwood,
I am still going thru many of the topics/threads for the first time, so I'd like to say you have to be one of the top 5 posters in Magnum Mania. For instance your above comments are spot on and as usual you disagree with someone in a respectful, civil manner.
Unlike Brotherchemo's (sic) posts that I have come across in the older postings, that joker has lost the plot.
As regards Hawaii 5-0's being dated, I have just watched on Decades the 11th episode with Rifleman's Johnny Crawford and the uber babe Anne Helm. It's better than the current network dramas I have seen this month. The film stock itself is 49 years old and it looks like it was filmed yesterday, the colors and depths richer than current shows, and just why is that?
This episode also highlights Hotel Street, as did Magnum and many other films/series, as do the untold thousands of servicemen who passed through it. It's like a fixed point in the universe, the earth turns but Hotel Street keeps serving untold millions of beers to hordes of thirsty servicemen since the early 20th century if not before.
Hotel Street is almost a character in Hawaii 5-0 and Magnum.
Maybe some of the more rascally posters here could relate their own tales of shenanigans when they visited there while in the service.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#214 Post by Sam »

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#215 Post by 308GUY »

And I don't blame them....if it's true... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#216 Post by Sam »

Hi 308.
I'm not sure I agree I would think that Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan,have more face time more lines and more work in each episode... equals extra bucks.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#217 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Sam wrote:Hi 308.
I'm not sure I agree I would think that Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan,have more face time more lines and more work in each episode... equals extra bucks.
It's not a matter of being unfairly paid less. They were supporting cast members. No sane producer is going to pay all supporting actors the same as the two top billed stars. For the producers, these series generally run in the red or barely break even until they go off the air and into reruns(yes I know early episodes are shown in syndication now).
Plus once you hit the 7th season, costs escalate as the original contracts expire. Actors once grateful for a shot at regular work and stardom now want the huge bucks, who can blame them,
but this means much more out of the producers pockets with their potential profit margin ever shrinking for creating new episodes.
Thus many times they can either cut out the lesser cast members/replace with cheap newbies where they can, get the network to make up the $ difference which they might if the series is a lynch pin to their line up, or cancel the series and rake in the chips.
For example Magnum's producers had killed him off at the end of the 7th season in the fitting "Limbo" episode, then CBS brought the series back to life with an $$$$ offer Magnum's owners and Selleck couldn't refuse.
Grace Park's agents over reached in demanding parity money with the series star. She is a beautiful and likable actress, but in Hollywood they are a dime a dozen. Odds are she will never ever make the money she is now enjoying, and given her age her stardom will quickly fade as is Hollywood's wont.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#218 Post by Steve »

They were offered between 10 to 15% lower than the two stars....So if Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan are making say, 5 Million per episode (just an example) they couldn't be happy with 4.5 million....Wonder what Chi McBride makes?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#219 Post by KENJI »

When you go over this season's final episode it appears they were already covering their bases either way.
Chin possibly taking a job on the mainland and Kono flying off on a mission of her own. If they didn't come to an agreement Chin takes the job and Kono is either killed, kidnapped or taking a personal leave from HF0 while she rids the world of human trafficking...i.e. she won't be back for a very long time. If they did come to some agreement, then Chin has second thoughts about leaving island life and stays while Kono returns to the island after saving some more women from being used in the sex trade.
It's interesting that the actor who played Adam is now on a new show...I wonder if he will do double duty or leave the island (and the show) in search of Kono (like she did a few years back with him). I wonder who they will bring in to replace these characters....time will tell.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#220 Post by terryfromkerry »

History is repeating itself ! The characters named Chin Ho & Kono were written out of the original show also. I remember watching as a kid being shocked when Chin Ho ( actor Kam Fong ) was killed. He had been my favourite character. I do not know why the actor left the show. The original Kono was written out I understand because the actor ( Zulu ) had a falling out with Jack Lord. Both Kam Fong and Zulu years later made an appearance on Magnum PI. Kam Fong appeared as the bad guy in " The Last Page". Zulu played the hotel doorman in "The Jororo Kill".
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#221 Post by Nikita70 »

Just started watching season one. I’ve now seen about six episodes. Really enjoying it so far. The scenery is great. Episodes are well written, good actors and guest stars. Might be in for the long haul on this one.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#222 Post by Frodoleader »

I've started watching some of the original H5O recently (I watched it religiously during its first run back in the day) and after being subjected to current police procedures, a la Law & Order, Blue Bloods, etc. for s few years, I'm shocked at what they did to solve their crimes. Just seems so out of place now. Plus an observation: McGarrett was something a of a dick!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#223 Post by Nikita70 »

Finished the first season, really liked it. As far as solving crimes it’s just a tv show and they didn’t have near the tools they have today. McGarrett could be a hardass for sure. I read he was considered for Captain Kirk but he wanted Roddenberry to give him 50% of the show. Needless to say that didn’t happen.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#224 Post by Nikita70 »

Bought the complete set. In season two and it’s just getting better and better.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#225 Post by J.J. Walters »

I've been enjoying the show again over-the-air on MeTV. I ditched cable (again) recently. This time for good! :) It airs M-F at 6PM EST. It's so fun to see all those 70's-era filming locations on Oahu!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!