MIAMI VICE

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

MIAMI VICE

#1 Post by KingKC »

I cannot find a Miami Vice topic on Other TV Shows which kind of surprises me. It was classic but really did not hold my interest for more than a couple of seasons. It became too "dark." In any event the reason I thought of the TV show was because I just got through watching the 2006 movie remake and it was, IMO, terrible. I could barely keep my eyes open during many parts. It was very slow moving and concentrated too much on Crockett's relationship with the Asian drug contact....I don't even remember her character's name!!!! I am sure glad no studio tried to make a movie of MPI if the Miami Vice movie was any indication of what writers, producers and directors thought was a good presentation. The movie was rated two-stars plus and I think that was very generous. I would love to hear comments on the show and the movie in one thread. I have seen random comments from some who really thought Miami Vice, the show, was an all time great. Again, it was almost revolutionary for the first two years and then faded fast in my opinion.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: MIAMI VICE

#2 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I started watching it on Netflix a couple of years ago and before I could finish all of it, they took it off. I liked Crockett a lot, but Tubbs was just a joke. Phillip Michael Thomas could not act and his character was just a bad horn dog stereotype. I thought it was way too obvious that Johnson and Thomas could not stand each other because the characters had zero chemistry and Don Johnson pretty much admitted as much during Nash Bridges. In contrast, Don Johnson and Cheech Marin were hilarious together on Nash. All that said, the show was definitely cool to look at in the early seasons.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

I was in the prime demographic for the TV series as it first aired on my 30th birthday and was on until I was in my mid thirties. I watched on Friday nights faithfully until the stories just became too over the top (think the famous James Brown episode). The influence the TV show had was amazing as it spurred the entire South Beach renaissance and even had many of us going sockless on nights out on the town (in between wearing our blue jeans and hawaiian shirts of course).
I think I am one of the few folks out here that actually like the movie and think Michael Mann did a good job of capturing the essence of the TV show and would even love to see a sequel. The movie was crying out for more development of the other characters besides Crockett as they were all played by amazing actors. Heck, I even loved Colin Farrell as Sonny and have had thoughts that he would have made a pretty good candidate for Thomas Magnum when they have kicked around different actors names. Anybody else notice that more and more the dashing, tough edged movie characters are being played by Australian, New Zealand and British actors. Our American actors are becoming woosified in my opinion..........Outlaw the MAN BUN 8)

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

ELREY is airing Miami Vice from the beginning starting tomorrow (7/31/17) morning, two eps a day starting at 6am est. It's channel 341 on Directv and it's in HD. They are also showing Knight Rider and The Incredible Hulk.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

I'm hearing that Vin Diesel might be doing a reboot of Miami Vice............

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... bc-1026163

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:I'm hearing that Vin Diesel might be doing a reboot of Miami Vice............

Hmmm, might work but I have to see the rest of the cast. I think I am one of the few people that actually enjoyed the movie and would like to see another.....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

KENJI wrote:I'm hearing that Vin Diesel might be doing a reboot of Miami Vice............

I read about the reboot a couple weeks ago. I don't know....Vice was such a product of it's time (much more so than Magnum), what would a present day version even be about? The country's attitude about the war on drugs is so different now than it was then. Would a modern Crockett and Tubbs be portrayed as the good guys?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KingKC »

I am one who thinks they ought to leave the old shows alone. The Seventies and Eighties had classic television that I don't think has been improved by rebooting. I suppose things like the new Hawaii Five-0 and MacGyver may be of interest to a new generation but not to me. Miami Vice was classic, especially for the first couple years when it may have been one of the best new shows ever. I prefer to remember all of them the way they were. I am also one who was not in favor of a sequel to MPI.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by Bat22 »

During the 80s I was living in Nigeria and so had very limited exposure to Vice apart from magazines or a few stray episodes. My family vacationed in the States summer of '89 and we saw the Miami Vice Stunt Show at Universal Studios Hollywood. We returned home and my bros. and I frequently watched our taped recording of that show until we immigrated in '92. By then, our attention was on various cartoons and Star Trek; the classic Sci-Fi, UPN, and TNT stations; and MacGyver. I've been back to Universal Studios a number of times since then but the Waterworld stunt show just can't compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Rg8H8L5_A&t=42s

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#10 Post by Pahonu »

Bat22 wrote:During the 80s I was living in Nigeria and so had very limited exposure to Vice apart from magazines or a few stray episodes. My family vacationed in the States summer of '89 and we saw the Miami Vice Stunt Show at Universal Studios Hollywood. We returned home and my bros. and I frequently watched our taped recording of that show until we immigrated in '92. By then, our attention was on various cartoons and Star Trek; the classic Sci-Fi, UPN, and TNT stations; and MacGyver. I've been back to Universal Studios a number of times since then but the Waterworld stunt show just can't compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Rg8H8L5_A&t=42s

LBC!!!

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by Bat22 »

Represent! :)

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#12 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:

I read about the reboot a couple weeks ago. I don't know....Vice was such a product of it's time (much more so than Magnum), what would a present day version even be about? The country's attitude about the war on drugs is so different now than it was then. Would a modern Crockett and Tubbs be portrayed as the good guys?
At the end of the show Crockett and Tubbs become disenchanted with the war on drugs and leave the force. It was actually before its time.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:

At the end of the show Crockett and Tubbs become disenchanted with the war on drugs and leave the force. It was actually before its time.
The end of Miami Vice was perfect, Crockett asks Tubbs; "Hey, Tubbs...ever consider a career in Southern law enforcement?" "Maybe, maybe!"....This was right out of the first episode then the show has a clip recap to the Terry Kath song Tell Me...Brilliant!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Yeah, I know and that goes back to my original question of what would a reboot even be about? I started watching Vice again last year and this time I found myself liking Tubbs a whole lot more than the first time, but show got stale for me in season 3 and I gave up on it.

Limbo
Lieutenant

#15 Post by Limbo »

That's weird, I just did the same thing. As I got older, I remember kinda giving up on the show, as in...if I watched it? great. If I missed it? great too. The first two seasons? you couldn't get me away from the TV. I remember season three being a letdown and picking up a bit in season 4 and 5.

now after my entire rewatch just a few months ago? Seasons 1 and 2 are still brilliant. Season 3 was a lot better than I remember it. I was able to watch all the episodes. Season 4? whew...Season 5? wow. Those last two seasons? just horrid. yeah ok they had some good gunfights in them (the Caitlan davies storyline) but man the whole production went downhill, and least said about season 5 the better.

but if anyone wants to continue a Vice thread? i'll tag along.
Very good Magnum-san, very good,but why do you care so much for his life?. I don't....I care for yours.