Oahu leg of my Hawaii trip

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Oahu leg of my Hawaii trip

#1 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I'm not entirely sure which forum to stick this in, but I thought the fellow members can catch it easier here. :)
So I just got back from my ten-day trip, with the first two and a smidge days on Oahu (the remaining eight on Kauai), and here are the best pics I took of those first two days. :magnum:

So first off, we stayed at the Illikai Hotel, home of McGarrett's introduction in the Five-O opening sequence and several scenes in "A.A.P.I.". Looking at that screenshot, it's funny how much the exterior hasn't changed since 1986! :lol:

Here's a view going past the harbor (on the other side of us that is).

Yours truly. :wink: (Excuse the weird pixellation on some of these.)

(On a side note, no one noticed my shirt until our Kauai stay and the guys at the biplane company near the airport saw it. One guy said he and his wife taped every episode of Magnum prior to their move to the islands. :D)

Views from our balcony. :)

First full day or so we went to Waikiki Beach, home of the famous Rainbow Tower.

At one point we took TheBus (which sadly doesn't have the Anderson Estate on its route) to the local Costco and passed Hawaii Film Studios on the way. :D

On the last Oahu day that Sunday, the Island Hoppers Copter just happened to be making its rounds, so we saw it several times that day. :D

As you can see, it's very difficult to get a good shot (especially when all you have is your phone tucked away :P).

Some more beach shots of Diamond Head and others, with the Illikai tucked away in some of them. :)

Hope you guys liked my little slideshow. :higgins:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Oahu leg of my Hawaii trip

#2 Post by 308GUY »

Great additions to the growing album of MPI/Oahu photos!

The shots of the Rainbow Tower immediately put me in mind of at least one episode of H50 (the original w/JL&crew) and I do believe it's visible in an MPI or two maybe.

Did you not get to visit the estate at all....the tidal pool...front gate....nothing? Maybe you've already been there. Just hard for me to imagine being there and not "being there", or at least driving by.LOL

Regardless, sounds like you had a grande time, good on you for that.

Very cool you got to see TC's bird go over! :magnum: And more than once!

Did you visit any of the movie facilities on Kauai while there?

Don't mean to "gush"...but some of us don't get out much!LOL

Thanks for sharing your pics! 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Oahu leg of my Hawaii trip

#3 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I really wanted to go to the estate, but we didn't have a rental car and the highway it's on wasn't on any bus route we knew of. Originally we had also planned to go to the Sea Life Park, but the cost for each person (and there were four of us) had gone up since when my parents visited.

Our place on Kauai was in Princeville, to the north. Is it wrong of me to say I didn't know about Kauai's studios till now? :P The main reason we were trying to be a bit stingy was the exchange rate (1 dollar CAD about 70ish cents US).

Thankfully, I made sure to take more pics this trip, seeing as I wasn't really into Magnum the last time I was on Oahu, which was all of one night and one day in 2012. :P