The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

JungleBird
Commander

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1606 Post by JungleBird »

Just found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaJrVSlbUFI
Seems as if that guy actually got into our 'mecca'... The video includes several shots definiteley filmed on the property, not just from the outside/ fence.
You also can see how the gate opens... Oh man, I'm so jealous of that guy now... :magnum: :o

I really wonder how he got permission to actually enter "Robin's Nest"... :higgins:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1607 Post by KENJI »

JungleBird wrote:Just found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaJrVSlbUFI
Seems as if that guy actually got into our 'mecca'... The video includes several shots definiteley filmed on the property, not just from the outside/ fence.
You also can see how the gate opens... Oh man, I'm so jealous of that guy now... :magnum: :o

I really wonder how he got permission to actually enter "Robin's Nest"... :higgins:
Hi JungleBird,

Thanks for the youtube link!
I can tell you that all of the footage was taken from outside the wall (100%) so you don't have to be jealous.

JungleBird
Commander

#1608 Post by JungleBird »

Well okay, I was wrong about that, sorry.. In that case he must have used a pretty good zoom and held the camera through the fence... because some shots I've never seen taken by a tourist before, there normally were just bushes and palm trees blocking nearly every possible view on the estate /grounds... :roll: Could of course be because of the work taking place that they cut down much of the "jungle" :higgins:

I just saw he replied on YT, describing what he saw when he was there:
"Robin's Nest is private property, so all my video shots came from outside the fence. Unfortunately, this is why I was not able to get better footage of the main house. However, I got lucky with what looked to me as real estate professionals showing people the property. I just happened to be filming out front when they arrived... That's how I scored the shots of the gate opening. I was stoked!!"

Interesting that he thinks he saw real estate agents on the property showing people around.. so maybe Mr. Nesbitt isn't handing it over to Obama in the end...? Time will tell...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1609 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Well that certainly is interesting about the realtors! I just asked him if this was a new video or if he filmed it when Pahonu was for sale. I'll update if he responds.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1610 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Well that certainly is interesting about the realtors! I just asked him if this was a new video or if he filmed it when Pahonu was for sale. I'll update if he responds.
He replied back, "They weren't in suits... Just an educated guess that they were real estate agents. No idea really. I was just happy they made the gate open so I could film it!" So...wonder who they were? Interesting anyway!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1611 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I found this fun Society story about Eve's (Mrs. Anderson) parents, Jimmy and Eva Glover, hosting a cocktail party in August 1938 at Pahonu!

Notes: Mrs. O.E. Wall is Eve's grandmother and Ed Grossman is her uncle. Eve's mother was "Eva" but the reporter calls her mother "Eve" so I assume she also went by "Eve".

Enjoy!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#1612 Post by Stelth »

This is proof that modern journalism has truly degenerated. My local newspaper NEVER covers the important details of what the well-to-do wore at their soirees.

But seriously, thanks for sharing that. As I read the article I was watching the episode "Murder by Night" which was set in the year 1941. A funny coincidence.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1613 Post by Steve »

Higgins would have been proud..........Guests included a Baroness, a Judge and those with nickname like Rusty, Bucky, Red, Patu and the ever elegant, Ole Lady.........

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1614 Post by KENJI »

Great find RG!
This article is so descriptive that you can picture these people walking around Pahonu having a grand old time.
It reminds me a bit of The Case of the Red Faced Thespian....minus the murder...and of course Sir Fearing Pangborn...just a grand old garden party from back in the day. I wonder if Jimmy had problems with mongeese too...I mean mongoose. :magnum: :higgins: :roll:
I agree with Steve....Higgins would've been very proud....I wonder if there was even a Punky in the crowd. :higgins:
Well done RG!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1615 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I've been researching how Eve's grandmother, Mrs. O.E. Wall (Julia), acquired the land for Pahonu and came up with the following news articles which piece everything together.

There was to be an auction for some Waimanalo lots being sold by the Territory of Hawaii, but a woman claimed some of the land was hers...

Star-Bulletin, May 2, 1930

While a decision was being made on the disputed parcel Mrs. Wall acquired two other parcels through direct purchases...

Honolulu Advertiser, May 6, 1930

AND

Honolulu Advertiser, May 7, 1930

The Territorial Land Board eventually sides with Mrs. Wall over the disputed parcel so the auction proceeds...

Honolulu Advertiser, July 9, 1930

And the rest is Pahonu history!

Honolulu Advertiser, August 21, 1930

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1616 Post by KENJI »

Brilliant RG!
This deal sounds similar to the Shriner's property where multiple properties were pieced together. Pahonu took a fraction of the time to complete and that was probably because of Mrs. Wall's wealth.
I used an inflation calculator to see what $60,000 in 1930 would be worth in 2017 and it states $60,000 has the purchasing power of roughly $845,208 in 2017.......a steal of a deal in my books.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1617 Post by Steve »

So did Miss Kumagai receive any money on the sale?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1618 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:So did Miss Kumagai receive any money on the sale?
Hi Steve!

You can't tell by the brief article I posted, but there was a lot more to the story. So long story short, Miss Kumagai said she would be happy with a different piece of beachfront land in exchange, so the Territory (the government) gave her a piece of land "in that section with a frontage of 60 feet of sea beach" toward Makapu'u, which she was apparently happy with.

So I guess it was a win-win-win...Mrs. Wall got the land she wanted, Miss Kumagai got title to a different piece of beachfront property for her fishing business, and of course the government got money from Mrs. Wall for the sale of the land plus future taxes from both Mrs. Wall and Miss Kumagai. $$$$$

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1619 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

So, moving along with some more Pahonu history, here are a few short mentions in the newspapers after Mrs. Wall acquired the land... (sorry if this is boring to some but I just love any little tidbit about Pahonu! :D )

Star-Bulletin, December 1, 1930

Star-Bulletin, December 27, 1930

Honolulu Advertiser, February 8, 1931

Remember a few months ago we posted a map that showed the road going through Mrs. Wall's property...here is a blurb about approval to move Kalanianaole Highway...

Honolulu Advertiser, April 21, 1931

Star-Bulletin, May 30, 1931

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1620 Post by Steve »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Steve wrote:So did Miss Kumagai receive any money on the sale?
Hi Steve!

You can't tell by the brief article I posted, but there was a lot more to the story. So long story short, Miss Kumagai said she would be happy with a different piece of beachfront land in exchange, so the Territory (the government) gave her a piece of land "in that section with a frontage of 60 feet of sea beach" toward Makapu'u, which she was apparently happy with.

So I guess it was a win-win-win...Mrs. Wall got the land she wanted, Miss Kumagai got title to a different piece of beachfront property for her fishing business, and of course the government got money from Mrs. Wall for the sale of the land plus future taxes from both Mrs. Wall and Miss Kumagai. $$$$$
That's good, I was hoping it wasn't going to be a screw the local story. Gotta love it only cost $125,000 to build everything, even in those days I would imagine that was very reasonable