3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 93

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Three Minus Two (2.22)

#46 Post by Milton Collins »

I love this episode so much! Seeing the scene where Magnum fake drop the camera and Higgins face (which is in the preview of every episode) just cracks me up every time lol. Love the appearance of Jill St. John, the bathing beauties, and of course Mr. Alex! His photo shoot with Rick is one of my fav Rick moments ever!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#47 Post by marlboro »

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Milton Collins »

marlboro wrote:Image
Ahhh, thank you Marlboro Man I love that scene so much!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by MagnumILWU »

Just watched this on Encore. The ending! To me, it's just what Magnum is all about! Magnum and Higgins! The beautiful weather, the estate, making deals. Just the fun and charm of that last scene, made my day!
"pickled egg please"

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ENSHealy »

2.22 THREE MINUS TWO
Hawaiian shirts: 1 – light blue with green narrow leaves and orange flowers
Island Hopper shirts: 1 dark green with white logo
Body Count: 2
Shirtless: 2
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Higgins musings: 0
4th wall breaks: 0
Negotiations: 2 – sharing the Ferrari for the camera, and then the Ferrari for getting the guest house back
Famous guest stars: 1 Jill St. John
Magnumometer: 10

Higgins is the chairman of the Honolulu chapter of the British Seamens (Seaman's?) Fund.

"A verse trilogy about the Hundred Years War." Extraordinary! That should probably be included in the appendix to the memoirs.

The estate has a "servants wing".

Some good lines:
Jan Kona: I'd hate to run into him in a dark alley.
Magnum: He's not so terrific in a lit room!

Magnum: I hated logic, sometimes it really gets in the way.

If "Thomas Maxwell" isn't taken as a username on here, it would be a good one. Same for Mr. Alex.

Problematic Plot Points:
1. Bart Lindsey's car is clearly empty just before it explodes.
2. How the hell did a plastic bag taped to the car right next to a supposed claymore mine survive the explosion and fire unscathed?
3. If Ox caught Magnum entering the factory, how come he didn't catch Florence Russell?
4. Can you actually hold a scissors by the handles, not the blades, and then throw it so it sticks blades first in the target?
5. The first time we see the gun Mrs. Russell has, it is black. In the remaining shots, it is silver. (nickel plated?)
6. A civilian family member of the C.O. of an Army ordinance supply depot is employed as his office assistant? [sarcasm font]That's not sketchy at all. [/sarcasm font]

Anybody know the gun and how many shells it holds? She fired it empty with 7 rounds.

Last but not least, here is the little voice: I didn't feel like listening to what everyone was saying about the murders and who committed them. I just wanted to get away. The problem was, I could escape all the speculation, but I couldn't run away from my little voice.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

karolis
Admiral

#51 Post by karolis »

ENSHealy wrote:
Problematic Plot Points:
1. Bart Lindsey's car is clearly empty just before it explodes.

At least in my recording (if they didn't cut it out) it's not empty:

And the car after explosion doesn't seem to be very damaged (except for the interior):

P.S.: Note the whte russian Lada car on top of the others. Similar Lada is used in the Reboot trailer. I wonder how this Lada got there? Any insight? Was it sold in Hawaii at that time?

"10 During a scene at the King Kamehameha Club beach bar, Rick is seen drinking a "Coops" beer with the label clearly visible." - from Episode Guide, here's screenshot:

-----

Here's my Season Two's Top:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. Italian Ice
5. The Last Page
6. Try to Remember
7. The Woman on the Beach
8. The Jororo Kill
9. Computer Date
10. Dead Man’s Channel
11. Wave Goodbye
12. Texas Lightning
13. Ghost Writer
14. The Elmo Ziller Story
15. The Sixth Position
16. From Moscow to Maui
17. Three Minus Two
18. One More Summer
19. Double Jeopardy
20. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
21. Billy Joe Bob
22. Mad Buck Gibson

Victor DiGorgio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#52 Post by Victor DiGorgio »

I liked everything in this episode other than the plot. Meaning all the primary characters interactions were great, but the whole murder mystery was just stupid. I don't even know who actually killed the first partner during the swimsuit runway show. I just want more Mr Alex and Higgins cock blocking Magnum. My favorite part though has to be at the end when TC is showing off the ridiculous photo of Rick with the gun and the knife and he's so proud of capturing the essence of the man and how it would look great hanging in Rick's office. Just classic.

I know it's been mentioned that this was probably filmed earlier in the season because of all the scenes that are in the opening credits. Another sign that could point to this is that Higgins acts like this is the first time Magnum would be borrowing Robin Master's camera and there is a earlier episode in season 2 when Higgins is doing inventory on the estate and is after Magnum to returned the borrowed camera(while Magnum is looking for a lost lens).

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:2.22 THREE MINUS TWO
Hawaiian shirts: 1 – light blue with green narrow leaves and orange flowers
Island Hopper shirts: 1 dark green with white logo
Body Count: 2
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Higgins musings: 0
4th wall breaks: 0
Negotiations: 2 – sharing the Ferrari for the camera, and then the Ferrari for getting the guest house back
Magnumometer: 10
UPDATED MAGNUMOMETER

This one drops from a 10 to a 9 on the revised Magnumometer. Minus two on body count (only counting Magnum kills now, not total bodies) and plus one on the Higgins membership.

2.22 THREE MINUS TWO
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Tigers Cap:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings:
4th wall breaks:
OMG/Extraordinarys:
Higgins Organizations: 1 The Britannic Seamans Fund, Chairman of the Honolulu chapter
Magnumometer: 9

Potential magnumania usernames: Mr. Alex, Thomas Maxwell

Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/374812633

Why was Magnum sleeping on the patio if the poet wasn’t there yet and Jan was sleeping in the main house?
If Jan knows she’s not the killer, why the hell is she working alone at the office?
What does TM mean when he says to Florence “you weren’t listening”?
Croix de Lorraine wrote:When the cops are questioning Jan by the sea wall, Magnum mentions the car bomb. The cops never mentioned anything about a car bomb, at least while Magnum was present.
Nice catch!! And I went back and checked - Higgins didn't mention it either.

Uncredited cameo by Wade Boggs? (not really, but I always think “Wade Boggs!” whenever I see this scene)
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

pot79
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#54 Post by pot79 »

A piece of information:
on the gate of the impound, a writing can be seen: "kapu", that, -now i know- means "keep out", but in hungarian it literally means gate.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#55 Post by Pahonu »

pot79 wrote:A piece of information:
on the gate of the impound, a writing can be seen: "kapu", that, -now i know- means "keep out", but in hungarian it literally means gate.
Interesting coincidence. Thanks!

Kapu translates better as “forbidden or prohibited” as in taboo, which comes from the same Polynesian root. Kapu more accurately was a set of prohibitions or rules for daily life of the commoners in Hawaii as opposed to the “alii” or royalty, who didn’t have these limitations. For example, eating turtle meat, or “honu”, was kapu for most Hawaiians and reserved for the alii. They kept these turtles in pens called pahonu! :D

pot79
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#56 Post by pot79 »

Pahonu wrote:
pot79 wrote:A piece of information:
Interesting coincidence. Thanks!

Kapu translates better as “forbidden or prohibited” as in taboo, which comes from the same Polynesian root. Kapu more accurately was a set of prohibitions or rules for daily life of the commoners in Hawaii as opposed to the “alii” or royalty, who didn’t have these limitations. For example, eating turtle meat, or “honu”, was kapu for most Hawaiians and reserved for the alii. They kept these turtles in pens called pahonu! :D
Thank you for the reply!

Pahonu

#57 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:2.22 THREE MINUS TWO

Why was Magnum sleeping on the patio if the poet wasn’t there yet and Jan was sleeping in the main house?

I sleep outside on our balcony sometimes when the weather is nice. No special reason other than it’s enjoyable. We have two balconies kind of like the large one on the second floor of the main house of the estate though not as big. They are enclosed on three sides and have a roof. The one connected to our living room has a fountain, dining table, and a grill. The one I sleep on is connected to our bedroom. It has a sectional sofa (that I’m sitting on right now), another chair, and my wife’s potting bench. It also has a small fridge because it is on a different floor and it’s nice having cold drinks without going to the kitchen. We don’t have a yard at the marina so we use the two balconies as living space. They’re quite large, about 7x18 feet each, and have a great view of all the boats. It makes for comfy sleeping ala Magnum. :magnum:

Edit:
I found a floor plan of our place online. All units are in a row with parti walls. We have a unit on the second and third floor with a neighbor below but no one above. The complex buildings are all three and four stories above a parking structure. The floor plan labels the balconies as patios. Unusually, the living spaces are upstairs for better views and higher ceilings. The bedrooms are downstairs. This confuses a lot of guests the first time.

http://www.marinapacificahoa.com/editor ... _%20AT.pdf

Here’s photos of the exterior:

http://www.marinapacificahoa.com/photoa ... album%5D-8

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by terryfromkerry »

I am so envious right now Pahonu ..... looks and sounds idyllic ! 8)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu

#59 Post by Pahonu »

terryfromkerry wrote:I am so envious right now Pahonu ..... looks and sounds idyllic ! 8)
It’s a nice place, thanks Terry.

I was just trying to point out that in the right climate and circumstances, like Hawaii, sleeping outside can be very pleasant. I don’t know how many people have the opportunity or have ever done it, but I enjoy it. We don’t have bugs necessitating screens either. That’s a big deal. A lot of places in the US are warm enough in the summer months but the mosquitoes will get you. That’s why they build screened porches and used to build sleeping porches in the pre-AC days. The Pahonu estate was built with all those covered porches and lanais for a reason. I’d wager many guests at the estate slept outside on some sultry nights in the early days. Of course Southern California isn’t Hawaii and I’ve never slept outside in the winter, but it rarely drops below 50 degrees in my location. I’ve camped in colder temperatures, so with enough blankets... :lol:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Sounds great, Panohu, to sleep under the stars in L.A. 8) Here in Dordogne the climate could be quite changing. At the present time we have a succession of squalls and sunny wheater. The temperetarute is around 55-60 Fahrenheit. Not much for the season...

Even duting summertime if you want to sleep outside you will probalby need a little wool... Temperature could span from 100 daytime to 50 at night...

Moreover, i wish to add a little piece of advice:
karolis wrote: Image

P.S.: Note the whte russian Lada car on top of the others. Similar Lada is used in the Reboot trailer. I wonder how this Lada got there? Any insight? Was it sold in Hawaii at that time?
It is probably not a Lada but a Fiat since the Lada 1500 or 1600 were licensed built copy of the italian model.

https://ibb.co/mRBjbfh

Fiat 124; 124 S and 124 ST were produced until 1975-1976 which is quite relevant here. Lada 1600 (the last one with that platform) was produced until... 2004 !
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."