The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4.12)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the fourth season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
2%
9.5 (One of the Best)
17%
9.0 (Excellent)
22%
8.5 (Very Good)
25%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
22%
7.5 (Decent)
5%
7.0 (Average at Best)
2%
6.5 (Not So Good)
2%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 109

mandolabar
Captain

#31 Post by mandolabar »

Seaver41 wrote:
mandolabar wrote:I had a lot of fun with this. And I was impressed in the opening sequence, when Higgins is hit by the croquet ball--he sways a bit, then falls backwards, and Magnum catches him and eases him to the ground. It sure looks like John Hillerman really did fall backward, and Tom Selleck really did catch him...I watched it a couple of times, and it looks to me like Hillerman is too far committed to falling backward before Sellect shows up. And it's one take, so there's no handy pillow waiting beneath.

So you film-trick savvy guys--was there some stunt protection I am unaware of, or did John Hillerman really trust Tom Selleck to catch him..?
if not mistaken.......you can't see the ground when the shot of Higgins passing out happens...they switch camera angles for that so there was probably a foam pad to fall into if Tom missed.

Didn't get into this one that much.
Now, this is from memory--but I think I was watching for just exactly that, an angle switch or other shot-switch that would let them do that. And if I recall, it's one smooth pan--the shot starts on Higgins' face and sort of follows him down, and closes after Magnum has eased him to the ground. That's what had prompted my original comment, the very lack of an overt angle-switch that would make that possible.

I'll go back and check--but I'm almost certain it was one shot without opportunity to have a pad there for insurance. Anyone seen it more recently, weigh in?
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Seaver41 »

I thought there was the wide angle shot that had both characters from the side and then a face on shot of Higgins alone when contact was shown.

mandolabar
Captain

#33 Post by mandolabar »

Okay, I watched the intro to this episode last night, and here's the deal. There are a number of cuts in the sequence--
Explosion and ball goes up
Higgins weaving a bit, seen from behind
Etc.
--BUT--
From the shot on Higgins' face, where he says "bloody good shot," the camera pulls back as he falls, Magnum steps in and catches him, and eases him down onto the grass--that's all one pan shot, with no breaks. So it still seems to me that John Hillerman was depending on Tom Selleck to catch him--especially since he's not visibly behind him in the first part of the shot, and has to step in--with no "insurance" padding if he missed.

I just think that's cool. It's harder to let yourself fall than one would think.

~Amanda
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

snp389
Captain

#34 Post by snp389 »

Cool ep! 4 totally hot babes in this one. I was trying to figure out where I had seen all 4 of the gorgeous women in other movies/shows.

Colleen Camp: Playboy Bunny in 'Apocalypse Now'

June Chadwick: 'V' tv series

Laurette Spang: Casseopia in 'Battlestar Galactica'

Vonetta McGee: Gemima Brown in 'The Eiger Sanction'

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: The Case of the Red Faced Thespian (4.12)

#35 Post by marlboro »

Too bad there weren't any famous 1920's French maids for Colleen Camp to come dressed up as for the party:

About the episode: I wish it had been more of a "whodunit?" I think there should have been more done to establish the various suspects motives. Start with the "murder" and then have a steady stream of clues and red herrings. And French maids.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by terryfromkerry »

For me the scene where JQH is intent on destroying the mongoose base camp is one of the funniest comedic moments in MPI. The first time I saw the ball strike him I had the belly laughs until it hurt. There are so many magic moments like this through out the series which is why we all love this series .
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Sinjin
Lieutenant

#37 Post by Sinjin »

I really enjoyed this episode for its Agatha Christie references, the Great Gatsby characters, the 'whodunnit' style, and some very funny scenes. John Hillerman was a riot! He got to really ham it up as Sir Fearing Pangborn, "the world's greatest Tragedian."

I like the fact that Magnum is a devoted fan of Agatha Christie. I like that he would stay up all night to watch a Miss Marple marathon. I agree that the dialog on tv was from Murder at the Vicarage. I also agree that it was not Margaret Rutherford shown on the B&W tv image. I assume it was staged for the episode. I believe "The Case of the Red Faced Thespian" is the fictionalized Miss Marple story we see him watching on tv, which he later uses as a template. I assume they fictionalized the title to avoid licensing and copyright issues.

Magnum: "You're doing more damage than the mongeese."
Higgins: "Mongooses"
Mongooses were introduced to Hawaii and have since become naturalized, but they most definitely do not dig holes like gophers (lol). Regardless, Higgins annual "battle with the mongooses" sets up one of the funniest scenes of the series.
Higgins: "And may I remind you that I am something of a demolitions expert. Did I ever tell you about the time in India..."
BOOM!!!
Just as he is falling backwards, in a distinctly deeper voice, he says, "Bloody...good...show." Perfectly choreographed for maximum humor. I about lost it. Every scene he was in quoting Shakespeare so eloquently as Sir Fearing Pangborn had me rolling. Every moment he was off camera I found myself hoping he would show up again.

I recognized beautiful British actress June Chadwick from This Is Spinal Tap. There is an amazing scene where she emerges from a tidal pool in a two-piece bikini and walks up to Rick... I can't say I've ever seen a lovelier torso on screen.

I also recognized Colleen Camp from Election. She did good with the role of Valerie Kane, the undercover writer, and looked fantastic in a blue blouse with a plunging neckline. I also recognized Vonetta McGee as Jemima Brown from The Eiger Sanction.

The mystery turns out to be not all that compelling. It involves someone seeking revenge against Higgins by embarrassing him through a series of incidents. They stage an elaborate, Miss Marple-styled ruse in order to flush out the "murderer." Magnum sorts through the red herrings. Enter Lowell Xavier Jameson, Higgins disgruntled predecessor at Robin's Nest, cleverly disguised as the most suspicious character of all. But the mystery is secondary to the laughs once Sir Fearing Pangborn comes to the rescue.

This episode contains lots of literary homages and represents one of the more whimsical episodes of the series. Highly recommended for the hilarious, hamming-it-up performance of John Hillerman.

Neil Peel
Lieutenant

#38 Post by Neil Peel »

It is out of character that Rick is seen being affectionate with Lady Cynthia (stroking her arm) whilst on the beach yet he was not shown reacting to news of her death. Surely he would have been upset? Still one of the best episodes of the series though.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#39 Post by Milton Collins »

Jodykmg365 wrote:The best part about this episode for me is getting to see so much of the upstairs.

Good point! One complaint is that we never get to really see all of the estate. I've always wanted to see more of the less featured areas!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Milton Collins »

Definitely an awesome episode that's for sure in my top 5!!! I love the whoddunnit style, the costume party at the estate, and Higgins is downright hilarious! I've watched this one again and again. Colleen Camp and the british "princess" sure don't hurt anything either he he he. Just an awesome awesome job by John Hillerman, and the fact that Higgins was faking it is just too great an ending! I would have liked more episodes in this "Agatha Christy" style, it brings the best out in the characters and makes for an outstanding episode!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#41 Post by marlboro »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote: I may be wrong, but there seems to be a notch in the tree from a previous practice shot of the dagger being thrown.
The notch is where the knife/dagger springs out from the target, to make it appear that it was actually thrown. While many knife throwers are real (and indeed throw real knives), I can't imagine they were used on TV show sets, especially when important cast members are involved!
I think I learned about this trick from an episode of Laverne and Shirley.

Another example of this in Magnum, is in "I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway" where Rick is the Indian's assistant. I also think they used a dummy for the scene where the wheel is spinning.

I wish it had been more of a "whodunit?" I think there should have been more done to establish the various suspects motives. Start with the "murder" and then have a steady stream of clues and red herrings. And French maids.
^^^My previous comment on the episode.

After rewatching it this morning, I'd add one more point: I wish they had a different theme for the party. Something that would have allowed them to have more fun with the costumes. Maybe a "come as your favorite literary character" or something. I would have loved to see a concussed Higgins acting out a Hercule Poirot fantasy "helping" Magnum solve a mystery.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Milton Collins »

Watched this again last night, absolutely love it!

jno
Captain

#43 Post by jno »

I just couldn't buy this one. This is playing it for laughs gone too far - yes, Higgins doing Shakespeare is good tongue-in-cheek entertainment but the whole thing is a bit of a nonsense I feel. Nice to see Ronald Lacey in Magnum. What I didn't get here is murder or no murder, why are the police/ambulance called - all a setup from the start? Too much for my brain to take in obviously.

Then there is Magnum all dressed up one minute, in his shorts and vest the next minute then all dressed up again as we see the final Cluedo style showdown. What I also didn't get - if Robin's new secretary was a stooge, who let all the guests into Robin's Nest in the first place? With Higgins out of action are the lads on gate/meet & greet duties while Magnum is off breakfasting with his pals? In the previous episode we're told this is a secure site. All stretching believability too far for me I'm afraid.

Sorry, I didn't like this one and it was all a bit of a step too far down implausible avenue. Higgins as ever though on top form and nice to other parts of the estate. It's fun in parts but not one I'd return to in a hurry - sorry folks. That's the magic of Magnum though, even the ones you don't like you can find good bits in.
:wink:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by 308GUY »

jno wrote: That's the magic of Magnum though, even the ones you don't like you can find good bits in.
:wink:
That's been my stance from the get-go.

Even the episodes that I have a hard time actually sitting through from start to end, have SOME redeeming value in them!

I guess it must BE "magic"! :lol: :wink:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve-O
Commander

#45 Post by Steve-O »

Just noticed a wee flub here, don't recall it mentioned before. More just a small continuity error.
At about the 18:05 mark, Inez Stewart is autographing an opened playbill for TC.
A moment later as she is finishing the autograph, the playbill is now closed but she is signing on the cover.