The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company (8.9)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the eighth season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
6%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
23%
7.5 (Decent)
22%
7.0 (Average at Best)
14%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
6%
5.0 (Just Awful)
9%

Total votes: 65

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company (8.9)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company (8.9). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/27/1988
Magnum's idea for a lucrative business must be put on hold when T.C.'s troubled son lands in jail.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

This one really feels out of place, coming on the heels of one the series' most dramatic (and best) episodes.

Even so, it's also one of the more enjoyable of Magnum's few attempts to act "mature". I love the enthusiasm he has for what is obviously a foolhardy scheme, and the fact that it relies heavily on his buddies doing most of the work. Classic Magnum. :lol:

Unfortunately, the subplot with T.C.'s son really drags the whole thing down. The teen biker gang is hard to take seriously, and their "plans" actually make less sense than Magnum's. I'm still not really sure where Bryant was going in that boat! :? :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Yeah, it WAS bit strange, considering the efforts of season 8 to be more "linear" rather than a episode by episode sequence.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa, this one doesn't work so well for me, although it does have to some good moments.

As Shermy says, the whole teenage biker gang subplot is just laughable. I remember watching this in '88, and even then, the gang was unintentionally comical! They look like New Wave bikers, or something! And they apparently are incredibly inept at everything they do. They make the Black Widow gang in Every Which Way But Loose look like card carrying members of Mensa International! And Bryant looked painfully out of place with these kids. The poor kid keeps getting busted. Why would they even want him in the gang??

It's also hard to swallow Magnum's indifference to the events of "Unfinished Business"! Jeez, he just watched the murder of his ex-wife and daughter on video tape and here he is all happy-go-lucky, cheerful as can be! La-la-la-la-laa. Huh?? I realize that the show does not often have linear, serial storytelling - each episode usually stands on its own - but I think here is a case where they should have referred back to the previous events, like they did with "Mac's Back" (to "Echoes of the Mind") and others.

One thing I've noticed about Season Eight so far - the female patrons of the KKC beach bar are all knockouts! I mean every single one of them. Take a look at the beginning scene at the beach bar and, instead of looking at T.C., Rick and Higgins, look at the people milling about in the background. Wow!

Ok, so the place where Rick and Cleo meet for the first time (before they go out dancing), is that supposed to be Rick's pad, or Cleo's pad? They show a brief "establishing shot" of a tall building before cutting to the indoor set. If it's Rick's place, he's moved from his two-story condo unit.

The end credits feature a brief Tom Selleck outtake from the opening "Great Hawaiian Adventure Company" pitch at the KKC beach bar. Selleck is seen shaking his rubber tip pointer while laughing and briefly looking at the camera. This is really cool, as outtakes are a rarity for us Magnum fans.

Lastly, there is a new candidate for "Hottest Magnum Babe"....

Lani (uncredited)

:shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

Well said James. I couldn't agree more.
James J. Walters wrote:One thing I've noticed about Season Eight so far - the female patrons of the KKC beach bar are all knockouts! I mean every single one of them. Take a look at the beginning scene at the beach bar and, instead of looking at T.C., Rick and Higgins, look at the people milling about in the background. Wow!
Yes, I have noticed this. :wink:
James J. Walters wrote:Ok, so the place where Rick and Cleo meet for the first time (before they go out dancing), is that supposed to be Rick's pad, or Cleo's pad? They show a brief "establishing shot" of a tall building before cutting to the indoor set. If it's Rick's place, he's moved from his two-story condo unit.
Not sure, but that may be Cleo's place. I think she lived in a multi-level condo/apt in "Straight and Narrow." I may be mistaken, but I think Rick's residence has changed since the condo we saw in "The People Vs. Orville Wright." His place in "Innocence... A Broad" looks more like a traditional house.

I also agree that Lani deserves to be on the "Hottest Babe" list. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

Actually, another "Lani" should be on there too.

Replacement maid in "The Aunt Who Came To Dinner"

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#7 Post by Shermy »

Doc Ibold wrote:Actually, another "Lani" should be on there too.
Yeah, Lani kind've jumped out at me as well. :lol:

It's funny that both girls are named Lani, and their sole purpose in the episode is (apparently) to get a smile from Magnum.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:I may be mistaken, but I think Rick's residence has changed since the condo we saw in "The People Vs. Orville Wright." His place in "Innocence... A Broad" looks more like a traditional house.
You're right IH. I initially thought they were the same place, but they are not. So if this is indeed Rick's place it would be his fourth pad seen in the show! His first one (the one seen in the early years) appeared to be connected to his office at the King Kam Club.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

OK, watched this one again.

WHY exactly did he (Bryant) decide to flee in the Zodiac? Where was he supposed to go?

Ridiculous.

Although I do like this episode because its pretty much the first time we see Higgins be criticized for the way he does something, and he EVENTUALLY accepts it. Even more amazing it was the "Memoirs" that was being criticized!

:shock:

BUT, my take on this episode is that they we're building to the crescendo of "Resolutions". This is the first time we see Rick and Cleo and know they're dating, TC has his son, so by the time "Resolutions" rolls around we're (semi) introduced to these characters and we're not like "WHERE did all that come from?!!!!"

(Even though we are anyway).

:lol:

Simply put, I look at this as a "filler" episode meant to expose some of the other characters.

Looking back on it, I can divide Season 8 as 3 types of episodes - actually 4 and you'll see why.

1) Reaction to Magnums Coma
2) Final "Hurrahs" for some of the main recurring characters
3) Exposition for the final episode

and

4) Just a reason to have a party (Legend of the Lost Art)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hehe, Bryant's "boat escape" was a little odd, wasn't it. I think it's more of a case of "getting away" than fleeing from some sort of perceived danger. He was mad at his dad. He couldn't run back towards the highway because he would have been spotted. What else do you do when you are "cornered" on a chopper pier and you want to get away from your dad? You jump in a Zodiac, that's whay you do!

Plus, Bryant is (apparently) a biker without a bike. He felt the need for speed, baby!

It's still a weird little scene, though! ;)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by lutherhgillis »

My reaction to this entire episode is :shock: :shock: :shock: .

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Doc, you bring up a great point about laying the ground work for Resolutions. I think, in a way, they tried to do much of that with season 8.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MACattack »

I think that writers could have taken the subject matter a little more seriously. This fictional street gang 'The Shivs' don't act like biker gangs or street gangs in Hawai'i or anywhere else in the world. And this was the same year "Colors" came out in the theaters!
In past episodes, the drama was more intense, making the storyline seem almost real.
I just don't give a damn!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#14 Post by N1095A »

I just noticed this episode might have been shown out of sequence. My reasoning for this conclusion is a bit flimsy, but TM is wearing the MIA bracelet in this episode after he threw it away in 8.8 "Unfinished Business".
I'm going to go back and look at the rest of season 8, but I don't think he wore it in any of the remaining episodes.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MACattack »

I was watching this episode again last night for a few laughs, and I couldn't believe how trite the plot was. It was like an afterschool special on TV.

In real life, if some gangstas thought T.C.'s son was a snitch, he wouldn't be walking around and talking to people, that's for sure! The second rate actors playing the "Shivs" are so cornball. It's possible they were picked right off the street.
I just don't give a damn!