2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 84

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Forty (7.17)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Forty (7.17). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/11/1987
With the big 4-0 looming around the corner, Magnum is concerned that the loss of his lucky $2 bill will hinder him in the investigation of a top-secret arms smuggling case.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Frodoleader »

You know, the thing about this episode (other than Patrice Martinez... :wink: ) that really got my attention, was TC's behavior. When they wanted to go to the strip club, I had to admire TC and his desire to avoid such a place. While I am no prude, places like that never interested me. Good man TC!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Another great Season Seven episode with lots of fun and exciting scenes! Gorilla masks are spotted. Any time you see a Gorilla mask you know it's going to be a good episode. ;)

It's good to see James Hong, one of the most prolific and well-recognized Asian-American character actors, finally get into a Magnum episode. He's always fun to watch.

And then there is Linda Lee Ellison (Patrice Martinez)! Easily one of the most beautiful ladies ever to grace the screen on MPI!

:shock:

Great ending too, with Magnum calling up his mom (and Gwen Verdon returning).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40

#4 Post by Danno »

Frodoleader wrote:You know, the thing about this episode (other than Patrice Martinez... :wink: ) that really got my attention, was TC's behavior. When they wanted to go to the strip club, I had to admire TC and his desire to avoid such a place. While I am no prude, places like that never interested me. Good man TC!
Martinez is my favorite so far! :D

Though, when did TC decide to stop drinking?
He had that Coops in his hand at the beginning of each episode for so long...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: 40

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

Dan wrote:
Frodoleader wrote:You know, the thing about this episode (other than Patrice Martinez... :wink: ) that really got my attention, was TC's behavior. When they wanted to go to the strip club, I had to admire TC and his desire to avoid such a place. While I am no prude, places like that never interested me. Good man TC!
Martinez is my favorite so far! :D

Though, when did TC decide to stop drinking?
He had that Coops in his hand at the beginning of each episode for so long...
Hey Dan,

We've never really pinpointed the EXACT episode, but we assume sometime around "Thicker Than Blood", as a condition of his probation.

The first couple of episodes of the 1st season do show TC with a beer/drink, and then kind of phases out.

There are a few times between seasons 2 and 3 where he does have a drink in his hand, but never drinks it.

To me, the point when it is actually verbalized is in "Flashback" when 1930s TC asks Magnum how he knew he didn't drink.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by lutherhgillis »

The intro shot of TC with a long neck (Coops?) was from the pilot. I read somewhere that Glen Larson's original plan was to have all of the characters live in LA and have a much harder edge to their personalities. I guess some of that made it into the pilot.

Universal bought the MPI concept but hired Bellesario to take over and remake everything. The Hawaiian setting and the softer side to the characters was part of the makeover.

We now know that, without the makeover and setting change, MPI would have been just another LA-based detective show...

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

I`m confused here. Think they kind of missed a day in the plot.
Magnum told Lee he found her earring "last night" when they have coffee together. But after the night with Rick and T.C. where he lost his 2-dollar-bill (day 1)we saw him following Lee, doing the surf ski race, watching her again and so on(day 2), and then he woke up 7.00 a.m. cause Higgins turn on the music in his livingroom (day 3) and it was then when he meet her again in Chinatown and had coffee with her. Am I wrong or they?? :shock: :?
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#8 Post by N1095A »

Interesting, the Surfski race was called "Countdown to Forty, The Magnum four-mile". Also, he did the race with a sack full of beers bungee strapped to his surfski.

...and Carmen, I think you're right.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think you are correct as well Carmen, and doing a surf ski race with a full sack of beer is the only way to go!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

This was always one of my favorite episodes mainly because I thought Patrice Martinez was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. I do have a couple of questions, and maybe I missed it, but when Magnum, Rick and TC are coming out of the Wo Fat's and we see the Chinese celebration. Is this supposed to be the Chinese New Year celebration? I ask because I believe the Chinese New Year typically takes place in January or February. As far as I can remember, MPI has identified at least three different dates for Magnum's birthday: August 8, 1944 in Try To Remember; January 5, 1946 in Memories Are Forever; and May 7, 1947 in Blood & Honor. I know there are problems with the years (1944; 1946 ad 1947) that were used for Magnum's birthday. But, what month was this episode supposed to take place (January; May or August)? The episode aired on February 11, 1987. Surely the Chinese celebration wasn't for Magnum's benefit like the rigged surf-ski race.

The second question is for RC if he has the time. How far is it from the finish line of the surf-ski race (KKC) to Linda Lee Ellison's house on the beach on Kahala Avenue (where Magnum paddles to following the race). Not really important, but it would be interesting to see how far Magnum would have paddled to scope out that babe on the beach.

A flub of sorts takes place during the gun fight between the SWAT Team and the bad guys at the temple. One of the SWAT members fires his M-16 A1 twice (single shot each time) at the bad guys in the temple. It sounded more like a hunting rifle, but was definitely not an M-16.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

IslandHopper wrote:The second question is for RC if he has the time. How far is it from the finish line of the surf-ski race (KKC) to Linda Lee Ellison's house on the beach on Kahala Avenue (where Magnum paddles to following the race). Not really important, but it would be interesting to see how far Magnum would have paddled to scope out that babe on the beach.
That's been covered in the two placemarks for those locations. It's about 600 yards, give or take 20 or 40 yards since it's hard to tell exactly where in the water the finish line was. I like how, in this case, what happened in the show is perfectly reasonable in real life. It certainly didn't need to be to work in the show. :)

I agree wholeheartedly about Patrice Martinez, an amazingly beautiful woman. I also liked her in ¡Three Amigos!.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks RC. I didn't realize you had aleady pinpointed the distance between the two locations. So much information and so little time.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

Priceless moment at the end. Higgins in a gorilla mask! I laughed out loud (honestly) at higgins' voice coming from behind the mask he thought was so immature in the past. Probably still thought so, but his wearing it reinforced the fondness for TM we knew was there all the long.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#14 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'm thinking I'm going to have to watch Forty again in the next day or two since I hit that mark on Friday. Maybe I can see if I relate to any of what TM is feeling.

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Rutledal »

In "Resolutions part 2" you noted that shots of an exposed breast can be seen twice. I'm not a hundred percent sure, because the image quality was kinda poor, but I believe that is the case in this episode too. Except it's only one shot.
When they first enter the strip club there is a shot of a big breasted dancer with a clear tan line, just making sure you know which one I'm talking about, then there is a shot of the guys and then we return to the dancer, who in this shot pulls down her bra, or top, I'm not completly sure if it actually qualifies as a bra. Well anyways I'm fairly sure that she reveals enough of her breast for it to be a "no-no" on a syndicated show.

Also could you put some Han quotes in the quote section, preferably his wolf speech??
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.