No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 76

EZiller
Captain

Re: Innocence... A Broad (8.3)

#46 Post by EZiller »

Good episode, reminiscent of an MPI from the first few years. No recurring characters in this one. As mentioned by others, the script borrowed heavily from "Born Yesterday" with Rita [Janis Ward] and Hatten [Ken McMillan] in the Judy Holliday and Broderick Crawford parts. Both did it very well. Janis Ward may not be a Top Ten MPI babe, but she does have a play-fullness that is sexy, plus a rather nice figure. I had forgotten how this ends and I was hoping Rita had dumped Hatten for good, as he seemed to be a crude loud-mouthed bully who was only interested in having Rita as a trophy GF on his arm. Rita showed she had good instincts as a PI, especially the part when she pretends to be in grief over the murdered guys body so she can dig through pockets and get a clue to his whereabouts. When she is kissing Magnum she certainly is infatuated and TSM also seems to be interested, but his ethics won't allow to go all in with his clients girl. But it wasn't all innocent, as they told Hatten.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#47 Post by marlboro »

Anybody else think Rita would have been a better choice for Rick's fiancée in the final season than the ex prostitute character?

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#48 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

The Joe Hatten character reminded me of Rodney Dangerfield.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Oh my God...remember "New" Coke????

I'm a Boxley Girl....

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Little Garwood »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Oh my God...remember "New" Coke????

I had already forgotten about New Coke well before this episode aired!

However, I *do* remember being on a family vacation in North Carolina in summer 1985 and seeing cases of the stuff literally stacked to the ceiling in a local supermarket! I of course hated the new formula and quickly put it out of my mind so it is surprising to me that New Coke was still available (as opposed to "being sold") circa 1988.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by KingKC »

I remember this one easily. I wanted to punch out the husband, Joe. Rita was a blast. This one was great and almost made it into my top 10. It was clearly in line with other lighthearted episodes.

KingKC

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#52 Post by marlboro »

Joe was played by Kenneth McMillan. He was great at playing jerks. He was the bad guy in Dune. I'll always remember him from Rhoda.

Rita today:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by KingKC »

Thanks for that pic Marlboro. I tried looking her up and there wasn't a lot about her. She did play a cute airhead, though. I also saw that Kenneth McMillan died in early 1989, about a year or so after this episode, at the age of 56. What a shame!

KingKC

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a fun way to get back into the flow of things following the near death and recovery of Magnum. It was comedic enough to not be as heavy the cliffhanger, but serious enough to not be back to back comedic episodes. This was Magnum's first case since the previous season and it morphed into something completely different than he was initially assigned.

My main problem with the episode is that the beginning of it featured this guy Benny whom we've not really seen. They made it out like he and Magnum were tight and that he was around the estate a lot. It just struck me as odd that he was made out to be a recurring character when he was a one/off type of character. I also was annoyed at the Joe character. He was so overly abusive towards his fiancé verbally that I found him less likeable than the mafia guy.

I liked this as a comedy episode more than a serious episode even though it was both. Having someone pay Magnum to let their girlfriend go on a simple case with him was a unique concept. His taking the job in order to stand up for the girl was totally in character with Magnum.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by KingKC »

SignGuyHPW wrote: Having someone pay Magnum to let their girlfriend go on a simple case with him was a unique concept. His taking the job in order to stand up for the girl was totally in character with Magnum.
TM seemed to "stand up" for just about everyone in this show starting with the Pilot and his buddy that was killed allegedly running dope. It always seemed like he was helping children, widows, damsels in distress, old friends and even animals. He usually did so at great risk and financial loss. It was an important theme in the show. At least in this one he got paid.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I also was annoyed at the Joe character. He was so overly abusive towards his fiancé verbally that I found him less likeable than the mafia guy.
That I think was intentional as well. After all, the last thing Bergos (a dangerous mobster) would want to do is be boorish and attract unwanted attention to himself.

All in all, you can see with this episode that this being the last season, the show wanted to have some fun. And I much prefer Rita over either Cassie Yates character. She's definitely overeager but never ungrateful or rude. And of course the bug mask sequence is downright hilarious, even if Magnum's reasoning behind it is a bit odd. :lol:

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Last time I watched this recently, I laughed when Magnum first sees Bergos, who, with his sunglasses and bald head, bears an unfortunate resemblance to Paul Shaffer. :lol:

Edit: Exhibit A :P

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm pretty sure that Rick's apartment complex served as the "old folks" community in the eighth season Hawaii Five-O episode, Retire in Sunny Hawaii...Forever. (Original airdate: November 7, 1975)
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Sam »

Little Garwood wrote:I'm pretty sure that Rick's apartment complex served as the "old folks" community in the eighth season Hawaii Five-O episode, Retire in Sunny Hawaii...Forever. (Original airdate: November 7, 1975)
Hi LG
Yep,same place...if you look up 458 Lunalilo Home Rd... that is the spot where they pull into the parking lot of Retirement Center.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by K Hale »

I just adore this one. A top 10 for sure, if not top 5. It has so much going for it. Rita is my favorite female guest character on the show. The subplot with the dog signals. The bug mask. Just everything!!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!