5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 93

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#31 Post by charybdis1966 »

Doc Ibold wrote:Actually,

Most of the time when TC is acting like someone, he pulls the overacting bit.

I kind of like it because it IS so over the top!
Agreed, TC hamming it up is quite hilarious and in character as he is no way an actor of any description. Rick also overdoes the acting when he's reading lines in "Double Jeopardy".
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Three Minus Two (2.22)

#32 Post by Milton Collins »

Here he is again, the actor who plays the cop who comes to the estate. I've seen him in at least the following episodes: the guy who brings magnum the drink in ricks office in the Kona winds, the car salesman "willie k" the car salesman, and the angry Hawaiian in Kapu. Gotta say I love spotting the recurring actors playing different roles. As far as this episode is concerned, it's one of my personal favs! Great murder mystery plot and a nice twist at the end. It's one if the first episodes I ever remember seeing and a solid 9.5 for me!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#33 Post by Doc Ibold »

Milton Collins wrote:Here he is again, the actor who plays the cop who comes to the estate. I've seen him in at least the following episodes: the guy who brings magnum the drink in ricks office in the Kona winds, the car salesman "willie k" the car salesman, and the angry Hawaiian in Kapu. Gotta say I love spotting the recurring actors playing different roles. As far as this episode is concerned, it's one of my personal favs! Great murder mystery plot and a nice twist at the end. It's one if the first episodes I ever remember seeing and a solid 9.5 for me!
That would be the late, great Dick Jensen.

:wink:

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Milton Collins »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:Here he is again, the actor who plays the cop who comes to the estate. I've seen him in at least the following episodes: the guy who brings magnum the drink in ricks office in the Kona winds, the car salesman "willie k" the car salesman, and the angry Hawaiian in Kapu. Gotta say I love spotting the recurring actors playing different roles. As far as this episode is concerned, it's one of my personal favs! Great murder mystery plot and a nice twist at the end. It's one if the first episodes I ever remember seeing and a solid 9.5 for me!
That would be the late, great Dick Jensen.

:wink:
Thanks Doc Ibold! As I mentioned, I love spotting the recurring actors, part of the fun of the show! I thought Dick ws very good in all his roles!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#36 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:Image
And he even had a jumpsuit....

:magnum:

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Milton Collins »

Doc Ibold wrote:

Lol Hilarious! Was he a musician or something?

Tobi
Captain

#38 Post by Tobi »

I seem to be in the minority here but I really enjoyed this episode.

As mentioned, several of the "opening credits" shots were culled from this episode, it has the classic this-for-that trade between Magnum and Higgins, it has the girls...

Did I mention it has the snorkel scene?

What else do you need?

T
:higgins:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Milton Collins wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:

Lol Hilarious! Was he a musician or something?
Hi Milton! Great handle...creepy! :shock:

Yes, he was a popular musician, primarily locally in Waikiki, who also acted a bit of course...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 20304.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Jensen

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#40 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought that this one was a pretty fun episode with a little of everything. A lot of the openings were pulled from this episode so it was nice to see the whole thing through.

The one thing that troubled me about the episode was how openly hostile Higgins was when the police came to the estate for Jan. He acted much differently than he did in other episodes where he was more or less neutral in such matters. Here he acted as though he'd been hoodwinked into harboring a mass murderer on the estate which wasn't logical. TC's fascination with photography didn't seem to last long which I thought was a shame. I could see a few subplots being interesting due to his photography skills.

It was a very interesting mystery episode. It wasn't clear cut as to whom committed the crime or why. I think the running gag of Magnum refering to TC as "Mr. Alex" was pretty funny. You could see TC totally getting into the role and not having to worry so much about being shot at or having his helicopter put in danger.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#41 Post by marlboro »

Harold Farber
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#42 Post by Harold Farber »

Rating: 7.

Average effort for me and it's only really memorable for the "snorkel girl" credit shot. The overall plot is fairly weak and I wasn't convinced by the outcome. Easy to see why it was held back until the end of the season for airing.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Little Garwood »

8.0 [Pretty Good]

I was tempted to rate Three Minus Two a 10 [Perfect!] but that would only be for reasons of sentiment and nostalgia, as it's the first Magnum, P.I. episode I ever saw so that alone makes it special to me. I saw it first run in April 1982. I was in fifth grade and was introduced to the series by my best friend, who enthused about MPI and drew MPI comics but using the cartoony-looking characters I had created. I still have those comics. Hard to believe it's been thirty-three years already.

It's appropriate that Three Minus Two was my first episode since it is the one with so many iconic moments thanks to their appearance in the opening credits. This one also has elements of the show I loved then and now, which would be Thomas and Higgins haggling and negotiating over Estate privileges, like use of the super-expensisve camera and of course the Ferrari. Those examples of one-upmanship has always been among my favorite aspects of the show.

As for the episode itself, there's some nice scenery in terms of those oh-so-early-'80s runway models and I get a laugh out of the wind blowing through the King Kamehameha Club. It's not my favorite location for the club but I'll gladly take it over that sterile and lifeless indoor set they'd use in later seasons.

I liked the brief scene with Thomas and Rick at the club when Thomas info dumps some Rick Wright backstory. The stuff about Rick mustering out of the USMC and remaining in Hawaii touches on my interest of what The Big Four were up to in the '70s before we catch up with them in the '80s.

T.C. as pretentious and effete high-fashion photographer "Mr. Alex" was amusing. It reminds me of a performance that Greg Morris gave in the seventh-season Mission: Impossible episode Movie, where he goes undercover as an enfant terrible film auteur and whose speaking voice sounds like Morris was channeling Roscoe Lee Brown.

Jill St. John did not give one of her better performances here; she gave memorable and amusing performances alongside Frank Sinatra in Tony Rome and Sean Connery in Diamonds are Forever. In those films, St. John had wit, charm, and fine comedic timing. She fares poorly in her underwritten role. Her Jan Kona character is flat and lifeless; St. John is unconvincing in the episode's finale where she is supposed to be terrified by the gun-wielding Mrs. Russell (who pronounces "marksmanship" without the first S). St. John also does a forced laugh when Ox (Denny Miller; hilarious in a small role and always worth seeing) says his legendary "Take root and heist 'em!" line.

It seems like that the contents as well as the plastic bag itself placed under Lindsey's car would have been melted into unrecognizable slag had it been there before the car exploded so I'll guess that Mrs. Russell placed it there after the car was taken to the police impound yard, though that would also arouse suspicion had it been found, no matter the condition.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Milton Collins »

Can never get enough of this one, just love it. Bathing beauties, Mr. Alex (lol lol lol), Ox (for the tenth time, the actor meaning lol ie Leon Platte etc) and a good mystery. Totally fun!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by KingKC »

Classic Magnum. Saves damsel in distress. Borrows stuff from Robin Masters. Gets TC to help. Bickers with Higgins. For season finales this was pretty plain vanilla. But as it turned out MPI spent more effort on season openers. I liked Beauty Knows No Pain as a season finale much better.

KingKC