1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 162

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Home From the Sea (4.1)

#61 Post by Doc Ibold »

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but...

:shock:

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#62 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Doc Ibold wrote:I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but...

Well, I did admit I was in the minority...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#63 Post by Doc Ibold »

Ha ha SignGuy,

Hope you didn't take it the wrong way. You just had a unique perspective on it. I tend to view Magnum episodes with a suspension of disbelief... Plus this wasn't so far off with me if one takes the "little voice" as a somewhat psychic phenomena.

To me, I like it because it takes all of the normal action out of the show and replaces it with what I consider a great character driven episode and gets you inside the head of Magnum and what makes him tick.

But, I also get and respect your take on it!

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#64 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Doc Ibold wrote:Ha ha SignGuy,

Hope you didn't take it the wrong way. You just had a unique perspective on it. I tend to view Magnum episodes with a suspension of disbelief... Plus this wasn't so far off with me if one takes the "little voice" as a somewhat psychic phenomena.

To me, I like it because it takes all of the normal action out of the show and replaces it with what I consider a great character driven episode and gets you inside the head of Magnum and what makes him tick.

But, I also get and respect your take on it!
No, I completely understand that all of us will watch the same episode and have dozens of different takes on it. Episodes I love may get very little love from the majority and vice versa. The little voice aspect I can buy. What bugged me was that they all got that same sense just out of the blue without any real cause. It came across to me as they just didn't know how else to do the ending they wanted for the main story they wanted so they went with this. If only one of them had the feeling and had to talk the others into looking for Magnum I may have liked it better.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#65 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

SignGuyHPW wrote:When Higgins was short with Agatha and even when he told her it wasn't her he had wanted to marry she took it very Britishly and didn't seem overly emotional, but she got completely heated over a game of chess? It was out of character and kind of shocking.
She didn't get heated over a game of chest. She thought Higgins was going to declare his love to her and was disappointed when she found out she was wrong.

jno
Captain

#66 Post by jno »

I recently saw an episode of (new) 'Hawaii Five O' - season 5 episode 23 called "Moʻoʻolelo Pu" "Sharing Traditions" where Kono (Grace Park) is trapped out at sea having flashbacks. Hmm, thought I - whether it be intentional or not, this was unquestionably a Magnum rip-off of the highest order.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by terryfromkerry »

Happy 4th of July holiday to all our American MPI mania brothers and sisters. I always walk or cycle by the grounds of the American Ambassador's residence on this date and spend some time watching the annual American Football game which is played on the front lawns. I am outside looking in of course. There always seems to be a terrific party atmosphere there. Would love to attend but I'd have to crash the party ( I am sure Magnum would find a way). The residence is located in our beautiful Phoenix Park here in the Irish capital Dublin.

Happy holiday guys and gals :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Milton Collins »

I participated in my usual 4th of July tradition this year (no not in a sack race with my "best girl" or eating hot dogs at the ball park or drinking beer with my buddies as Magnum suggests in this one) and watched this fantastic episode. I think it's the 3rd or 4th year in a row that I've done this on the 4th and it just gets better and better. Early on in my Magnum watching (which was either on AMC or on the DVD's) I couldn't really appreciate this episode, but now that I've seen every single one multiple times I have come to absolutely love this one. So much emotion between Magnum and losing his father, just awesome! I love how it approaches the whole group each from different angles/venues as they all spend their 4th of July very differently. And having Magnum struggling to stay in the water is just perfect given his Navy history. While watching with my wife, we couldn't help but crack up at the use of the word "Turkey" rather than a vulgar curse word and we loved it!

Turkey
Admiral

#69 Post by Turkey »

Milton Collins wrote:While watching with my wife, we couldn't help but crack up at the use of the word "Turkey" rather than a vulgar curse word and we loved it!

'Turkey' is a superb insult :D
Make it two weeks.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Milton Collins »

Turkey wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:While watching with my wife, we couldn't help but crack up at the use of the word "Turkey" rather than a vulgar curse word and we loved it!

Yes it sure is, I love how it is used many times during the show, just makes me laugh.

Turkey
Admiral

#71 Post by Turkey »

Milton Collins wrote:
Turkey wrote:

Yes it sure is, I love how it is used many times during the show, just makes me laugh.

Me too, every time I hear it - that and 'Yo-Yo' which is another ace one I don't hear on TV anymore
Make it two weeks.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Reef monkey »

I'm trying to work out the timeline of Magnum's drift in this episode, let me know what you think:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3186
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#73 Post by marlboro »

The only insult more stinging than "turkey"?

"Mangy pot hound."

Turkey
Admiral

#74 Post by Turkey »

marlboro wrote:The only insult more stinging than "turkey"?

"Mangy pot hound."
That's pretty brutal, yeah :D
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#75 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:The only insult more stinging than "turkey"?

"Mangy pot hound."
I figure there are two funny behind the scenes moments associated with processing the first time they heard that line.

1 - Roger reads the copy and when he gets to "Mangy pot hound" he's like . . . WTF?
2 - there's a totally different line in there and Roger ad-libs "Mangy pot hound" which cracks everyone up behind the camera.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04