Simon & Simon Marathon on Esquire - Today!

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MikeS
Admiral

Simon & Simon Marathon on Esquire - Today!

#1 Post by MikeS »

Simon & Simon marathon today on Esquire! Well, this is what popped up on the DirecTV guide so I'm hopin' :)

May 11, 2015 || 9:00am - 5:00pm (West Coast Time).

1-01 - Details at Eleven
1-02 - Love, Christy
1-03 - Trapdoors
1-04 - A Recipe for Disaster
1-05 - The Least Dangereous Game
1-06 - The Dead Letter File
1-07 - The Hottest Ticket in Town
1-08 - Ashes to Ashes, and None Too Soon

Excellent, looks like Esquire is starting from the beginning - maybe they'll keep goin'.

Hope some of my MPI colleagues can find time for 1 or 2, or all of em :)
MikeS

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon Marathon on Esquire - Today!

#2 Post by eagle »

Cool. Marathons are fun. :D

FYI, Simon & Simon seasons 1-3 (most episodes) are also available on Hulu Plus, and most of those episodes are also available on free Hulu.

MikeS
Admiral

#3 Post by MikeS »

eagle wrote:Cool. Marathons are fun. :D

FYI, Simon & Simon seasons 1-3 (most episodes) are also available on Hulu Plus, and most of those episodes are also available on free Hulu.
Unfortunately my dialup don't know how to Hulu, Youtube, Vimeo, mostly it :arrow: aggravates :!:

I almost didn't bother knowing so many around here have DVD sets, high speed internet, but for those that may want to sit at home and enjoy the great and plentiful commercials with a scosh of S&S mixed in... doesn't get any better :roll:
MikeS

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumILWU »

This is fun! So many memories! I've posted before, Thursday night in the early 80's was great TV! 8pm-Magnum, PI. 9pm-Simon & Simon. 10pm-Hill Street Blues!
"pickled egg please"

MikeS
Admiral

#5 Post by MikeS »

MagnumILWU wrote:This is fun! So many memories! I've posted before, Thursday night in the early 80's was great TV! 8pm-Magnum, PI. 9pm-Simon & Simon. 10pm-Hill Street Blues!
It is very fun for sure, especially with S&S, being from San Diego myself, watching the opening credits as they drive around SD, freeways I recognize, the Coronado bridge - very cool :D Jeannie Wilson wasn't hard to watch either, can't believe she's 68 years young. Wow, time sure has flown by.

I was hoping for a few episodes this week, nothing :(
MikeS

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by eagle »

It is very fun for sure, especially with S&S, being from San Diego myself, watching the opening credits as they drive around SD, freeways I recognize, the Coronado bridge - very cool :D Jeannie Wilson wasn't hard to watch either, can't believe she's 68 years young. Wow, time sure has flown by.
One of these days I want to see AJ's house, just like I want to visit Pahonu. Imagine my surprise when I first learned that his house is in Venice Beach, not San Diego. :)

MikeS
Admiral

#7 Post by MikeS »

eagle wrote:One of these days I want to see AJ's house, just like I want to visit Pahonu. Imagine my surprise when I first learned that his house is in Venice Beach, not San Diego. :)
Yeah, I don't actually feel S&S is at all a San Diego themed show anymore, (though I did originally, before there were ways to find out). S&S was only in San Diego for season 1, not sure how many episodes either, some, all.
MikeS

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Dave Anderson »

MikeS wrote:
eagle wrote:One of these days I want to see AJ's house, just like I want to visit Pahonu. Imagine my surprise when I first learned that his house is in Venice Beach, not San Diego. :)
Yeah, I don't actually feel S&S is at all a San Diego themed show anymore, (though I did originally, before there were ways to find out). S&S was only in San Diego for season 1, not sure how many episodes either, some, all.
The show was fictionally set in San Diego throughout its run. They normally filmed a few scenes a year in San Diego as well as using some stock footage of the city. Most of the show was filmed in LA, but it was supposed to be San Diego. In general, LA landscape looked similar enough that it rarely made a difference. The San Diego filmed scenes were usually at places immediately recognizable to a native such as myself, which was very cool.

MikeS
Admiral

#9 Post by MikeS »

Dave Anderson wrote:The show was fictionally set in San Diego throughout its run. They normally filmed a few scenes a year in San Diego as well as using some stock footage of the city. Most of the show was filmed in LA, but it was supposed to be San Diego. In general, LA landscape looked similar enough that it rarely made a difference. The San Diego filmed scenes were usually at places immediately recognizable to a native such as myself, which was very cool.
Well, it was disappointing for me to learn the show started off in Florida, for a few episodes - San Diego, then, as usual winds up in L.A. - kinda sounds familiar - San Diego Chargers of Carson, the Englewood Bolts! I did enjoy the opening scenes of the early episodes, really cool. I had hoped for some more S&S but nothing after the 8 ep marathon. Oh, I'm a native too, born at El Cajon Valley Hospital.
MikeS

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KingKC »

MagnumILWU wrote:This is fun! So many memories! I've posted before, Thursday night in the early 80's was great TV! 8pm-Magnum, PI. 9pm-Simon & Simon. 10pm-Hill Street Blues!
I am with you MagnumILWU!!!!!! I have already posted that even though I am a newbie and I will probably post it again. The only difference was I was in the Central Time Zone and the shows came on one hour earlier.

Also, if anyone knows of Simon and Simon reruns coming on any ATT-Uverse channels....please, please post a message...I will be forever grateful!!!

KingKC

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Little Garwood »

MikeS wrote: Well, it was disappointing for me to learn the show started off in Florida, for a few episodes - San Diego, then, as usual winds up in L.A. - kinda sounds familiar - San Diego Chargers of Carson, the Englewood Bolts! I did enjoy the opening scenes of the early episodes, really cool. I had hoped for some more S&S but nothing after the 8 ep marathon. Oh, I'm a native too, born at El Cajon Valley Hospital.
To my knowledge, only the unaired 1978(!) pilot, Pirate's Key, was filmed in Florida. Segments of that pilot were later added to the season two two-part episode of the same name. Too bad the entire original "Pirate's Key" has never aired.

One thing I've always wondered: in the episodes where the Simons travel to (ostensibly) Mexico, were those episodes actually filmed there? Some of the town set pieces look like Universal properties but I suppose all those desert scenes were just California?
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

It's funny, I never thought about it but S&S technically predated Magnum.

MikeS
Admiral

#13 Post by MikeS »

I just noticed another mini S&S marathon on Esquire today (on now)... tomorrow too, not sure when it started. The Dead Letter File is on now.

According to the DTV guide, best I can tell... Pacific times,

Today -- until 7PM
Thursday -- 4AM thru 12PM
MikeS

MikeS
Admiral

#14 Post by MikeS »

This was a fun marathon, really enjoyed "Emeralds..." with a bit of Higgins & Magnum, and of course Morgan. Today ended with "The Guessing Game" I think was the title with Kathleen Lloyd playing a psychic... looking forward to Thurs for a few more eps of S&S.

Oh, this week on Esquire is "The Stache Bash" with mustache-themed movies & tv shows, no mention of Magnum though=bummed.
MikeS