6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes

Total votes: 72

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#16 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:The rarely seen 'Estate Escape Tunnel', built into the fridge in the kitchen...

It's hard to tell, but there appears to be a TV set off in the distance!

:)
James, its just another one of those interdimensional portals, just like when Magnum walks under the arch to go to the guesthouse.... which is on the other side of the estate.

:wink:

coy
Ensign

#17 Post by coy »

very classic.. I spend almost of my day watching those clips. nice!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yes indeed. An excellent Higgins-centric episode. It's so great to see him in action.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Bes
Commander

#19 Post by Bes »

Agreed, one of Series 7's best episodes; and that's saying something given how good the season is as a whole.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#20 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Decent episode, with two caveats:

1) Magnum really grates me when he behaves like a teenage girl. I know they were trying to make a point about turning a page and all that, but isn't that long overdue when you're a 43-year-old war veteran with a moustache?

2) Having chubby old Higgins jump from trees is overstretching verosimilitude a bit.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Autumn Warrior (7.13)

#21 Post by Stelth »

Random thoughts on Autumn Warrior:
The whole idea of Thomas' lame party was kind of sad. Mr. Belding being killed with his own AR-7? I think Zack was somehow responsible. Rambo Higgins, in his camo vest was kind of fun but required a lot of suspension of disbelief. The delinquent quickly sabotaging T.C.'s chopper in less than a minute? That was really a stretch. The scene where the kid knocks Thomas out with the hollow plastic butt of the AR-7 was silly...that light weight gun has the heft of a toy. If someone hit you with one, it would probably just make you mad. Higgins' well-lit dirt floored cave was very Gilligan's Islanesque. Magnum's reaction to Higgins' ass kicking was fun. And Rick's gal-pal, Marge was a nice piece of ass. The capper was Higgins being pissed over the bearded queen was a nice touch at the end. A better than average episode.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-7
Last edited by Stelth on Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#22 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Great episode I thought. It was rare that they let Higgins actually use his miliatary skills successfully so this was a great change of pace. Normally they'd have Higgins try something and fail as comedy and they did it with the net here, but to switch it to where he's surviving these kids who are armed without much trouble was a good way to make him regain some credibility. It was kind of a foreshadowing episode since Magnum slowly started to become much more of a responsible adult in the last season and change. I think part of that stemmed from this party making him realise that he couldn't hold a wild party without permission using the same group of people as 10-20 years prior.

The person responsible for the kids being the catalyst for them escaping was an interesting twist. It was also interesting to see how each kid reacted differently once murder was involved. The only real things I didn't understand was how Magnum got hurt with such a lightweight weapon (it was obviously very lightweight and was described as not being too powerful) and how the kids expected to actually escape and get to where they were wanting to go. I know they were young kids, but it's a pretty big stretch for them to take a rubber raft to the mainland or even back to where they can catch a commercial flight when they'd be considered missing fugatives.

EZiller
Captain

#23 Post by EZiller »

Always enjoy seeing the Sgt.-Major in action. I guess the juvenile prison farm cancelled the work release program after this fiasco.

TSM's behavior with Higgins being scheduled out of town reminded me of myself in high school or college years when my parents went out of town during the summer. Party time! TSM seemed a bit too old for this, but what I wondered was why they couldn't get hardly anyone to come to RN for a blowout??? Especially if Marge and Donna were going to be there!!! Top Ten MPI babes!

PS-I just googled Pamela Jean Bryant-very sad news. She died in 2010, age 51, evidently had a very bad asthma condition.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Milton Collins »

I just watched this one again and I really enjoy this episode every time I watch it. Higgins heavy episodes are always good! And a Mr. Belding appearance, hilarious! The guy playing the young Higgins in world war 2 at the beginning looks incredibly like Val Kilmer, anyone else agree on that? And how fun to see Higgins running around setting traps and turning into Rambo/Steve McGarret Higgins! Love how Higgins finds the "secret cave" on the island, that guy is so resourceful! Glad to see that you guys noticed Marge and Donna (I know I sure did, wow!) and moved them to the Magnum babes list. The whole party thing cracked me up! Who WOULDN'T want to hit a party at the Robin Masters estate? I know I'd drop any plans to go to a party at some rich authors house in a heartbeat. Still, I get that they were trying to show the maturation process of TM and the group. Love the ending with the beard on the picture, classic Higgins rage at that one lol!

2 small observations:

-In the 30 seconds TC and Magnum got off the chopper and went over to the abandonded campground, the two juvenille delinquents were able to see that the chopper had been left vacant, run up to it, and jack it? Not very realistic.

-I agree with those of you who said that TM would not have been knocked out by that little rabbit gun. I know that they wanted Higgins to be the hero here and save the day but that was a little off to me. That thing was tiny and would not have put that giant gash on his head.

But small observations aside, a unique plot and a fun episode all around.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#25 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Milton Collins wrote: -In the 30 seconds TC and Magnum got off the chopper and went over to the abandonded campground, the two juvenille delinquents were able to see that the chopper had been left vacant, run up to it, and jack it? Not very realistic.
My guess would be that they could hear the chopper coming for a while before it landed and were able to watch them. That'd give them time to be prepared to disable the chopper and get back to where they were unseen. Granted, it was quick, but it'd have lost something if Magnum and TC had stopped them at that point.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: -In the 30 seconds TC and Magnum got off the chopper and went over to the abandonded campground, the two juvenille delinquents were able to see that the chopper had been left vacant, run up to it, and jack it? Not very realistic.
My guess would be that they could hear the chopper coming for a while before it landed and were able to watch them. That'd give them time to be prepared to disable the chopper and get back to where they were unseen. Granted, it was quick, but it'd have lost something if Magnum and TC had stopped them at that point.

Good point SignGuyHPW! I enjoy the posts about flubs and unrealistic scenes but I try not to dwell on them because it's such a good show and those "suspensions of belief" make the episodes happne so I shouldn't complain:)

plateglass
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#27 Post by plateglass »

At the end of the episode Higgins has a great line. Can you explain the "blonde nymph" going upstairs with my safari jacket? Too funny. :D
Hi Guy

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by eagle »

plateglass wrote:At the end of the episode Higgins has a great line. Can you explain the "blonde nymph" going upstairs with my safari jacket? Too funny. :D
I'm going through the series, and I watched this episode last night and had the same thought.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by K Hale »

SignGuyHPW wrote:Great episode I thought. It was rare that they let Higgins actually use his miliatary skills successfully so this was a great change of pace. Normally they'd have Higgins try something and fail as comedy and they did it with the net here, but to switch it to where he's surviving these kids who are armed without much trouble was a good way to make him regain some credibility.
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance." --David Mamet
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by K Hale »

Milton Collins wrote:The guy playing the young Higgins in world war 2 at the beginning looks incredibly like Val Kilmer, anyone else agree on that?
Yep.

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!