2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good ones Sam! Thanks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Sam »

The 71st has a web page.

This page is dedicated to everyone who served
at the 71st Evac Hosp in Pleiku, Republic of Vietnam from 1966 to 1970.

http://streeper.com/71st/

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by robspace54 »

I think that this story really gives us a glimpse of the Vietnam experience and after. Not complete of course, but when Karen harmon and Higgins are in the study - well, their conversation is the core of the story.

So do you think Magnum paid Karen her $20?

Rob

p.s. I worked with a Nam vet for a while. He was a corpsman in a MASH unit. This was his take on helis: "Helicopters mean a lot of things to me - mail coming in, cold beer, a ride into town. But they also mean choppers on the pad and incoming wounded."
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

firefly
Commander

#19 Post by firefly »

i agree with the previously mentioned point that the story was a little "choppy", not bad, just that it didn't flow as well as i feel it could have.

i suppose that one thing i feel is lacking is that the villain (he'll always be col. flagg to me :D) was not given enough back story. it was sort of like they (the writers) were like "ok, we are at minute 37, gotta wrap it up".

a episode such as this, with all of the nam back story, should have been a 2 part episode so that they could have developed both the karen/magnum story and still had enough time to develop the villain.

one more point, i agree with robspace54s point that the conversation between karen and higgins in the study is the core of the story.

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#20 Post by All About the Stache »

This was also a pretty average episode in this season. I didn't like the actress who played the ex-nurse that much, her acting felt pretty hammy.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Contrary to some concerning this episode, I found it to be amazing, and it's also one of my favorites from season 3! This one is very touching and heart-felt for Magnum...and for the viewer.

The flashbacks to Vietnam were superbly and realistically done...awesome! :) I liked the plot, with Magnum reuniting with Karen and finding out she's being accused of murdering patients! :o

Although who really was behind it all was somewhat predictable...I still find this episode captivating and enjoyable.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Seaver41 »

this one did a good job of hiding the conclusion longer than most. Of course then, one never trusts Col. Flagg :lol:

Bes
Commander

#23 Post by Bes »

I enjoyed this episode personally. Good red herrings as mentioned.

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by .45caliber »

Loved the 14th century house they were building for the lads. Higgins tells Rick how much Zues and Apollo will appreciate they're hard work and then one of the lads is seen hiking his leg and marking the side of it! Hilarious and classic!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Heal Thyself (3.12)

#25 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Are we supposed to believe that the University of Hawai'i would allow any mug to borrow valuable 17th plans from their archives so he can built a kennel for his dogs?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#26 Post by marlboro »

I thought this was a better than average episode. It had a bit more mystery and a bit less humor than the last few episodes which is a plus in my book.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#27 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I really enjoyed it. I really enjoy Marcia Strassman and I thought she was great in this role. I didn't really like the whole "getting my sister off of heroine slowly" part of it because it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story at all, but that was my one real gripe. This one kind of set up Magnum's dislike for the press. It also had all of the great classic elements of Magnum, p.i. to it. It had humor, action, mystery, helicopter use, and a tie in with the military. It was also kind of different to have someone Magnum knew well in Nam that didn't have ties to TC and Rick.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I really enjoyed it. I didn't really like the whole "getting my sister off of heroine slowly" part of it because it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story at all, but that was my one real gripe. This one kind of set up Magnum's dislike for the press. It also had all of the great classic elements of Magnum, p.i. to it. It had humor, action, mystery, helicopter use, and a tie in with the military. It was also kind of different to have someone Magnum knew well in Nam that didn't have ties to TC and Rick.

I agree that this was a good enjoyable episode and I rated it an 8.0. I hadn't seen it in years and liked it more than I remembered. It really was a very good mystery and kept me guessing who was behind the framing. And yes it was interesting to see someone from Nam that didn't know TC and Rick, I found that interesting as well. Very realistic Viet Nam war scenes as well and I thought it was interesting how they showed how it wasn't just the front line soldiers who came back messed up but the nurse's were damaged too. I loved the dog house and Higgins lording over Rick and TC as they built it only for it to be peed on by one of the Lad's lol. So I have a comment, I found "Daniels" the reporter to be absolutely despicable and LOVED it when Magnum punched him into the pool.

I am posing this question, who is the more dislikable reporter from Magnum, Daniels in this one or Jeff Spangler in Death and Taxes? Both are extremely annoying and pushy and draw the ire and wrath of one Thomas Sullivan Magnum.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#29 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Milton Collins wrote: I am posing this question, who is the more dislikable reporter from Magnum, Daniels in this one or Jeff Spangler in Death and Taxes? Both are extremely annoying and pushy and draw the ire and wrath of one Thomas Sullivan Magnum.
My vote goes to Spangler. He was not only annoying he was extremely reckless and dangerous. He could've easily gotten either himself or other people killed in the name of getting a story. Daniels was more of just an overbearing guy looking to get reactions. He didn't seem the type to interfere with things to the point he'd be putting lives in danger.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: I am posing this question, who is the more dislikable reporter from Magnum, Daniels in this one or Jeff Spangler in Death and Taxes? Both are extremely annoying and pushy and draw the ire and wrath of one Thomas Sullivan Magnum.
My vote goes to Spangler. He was not only annoying he was extremely reckless and dangerous. He could've easily gotten either himself or other people killed in the name of getting a story. Daniels was more of just an overbearing guy looking to get reactions. He didn't seem the type to interfere with things to the point he'd be putting lives in danger.

I'm with you! While I couldn't stand Daniels character Spangler was downright despicable!! I found myself laughing as Milton Collins tied him up and gagged him and dragged him by his hair to the pool, he deserved some abuse!