No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 74

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pleasure Principle (8.2)

#31 Post by No need to know! »

Just watched a re run of this episode on television. Oh man i just love it even more than i remembered!
Many episodes in the last two seasons are more serious, and by all means very good aswell. So this episode seems so fresh and funny, and reminds me more of some great light hearted episodes from season two or three.
The plot with Higgins "being Magnum" and just having fun and being childish is great, and almost makes me cry with delight.

There are some beautiful shots of the estate with surroundings here aswell.

This is more of what i would have liked to have seen in the final episode of the series. A real joy :!:
Onion´s extra?

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#32 Post by SignGuyHPW »

It was a good comedy episode to lighten the mood after the previous two were more serious. The whole misunderstanding of Rosita towards the end was pretty convoluted. If she had an appointment with Higgins then why would a reputable psychologist blow it off without telling anyone? Magnum guessing the club where they were correctly was a bit of a stretch too. TC secretly following Magnum around and then being treated rudely at the estate was a little odd to me also, but I guess they were blaming the coma for causing abnormal behavior from everyone.

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#33 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

I cracked up when Magnum walked in on Higgins in the psychiatrist's office.

The only visual is of the office door and you hear Higgins say "Oh. My. GOD!"

Boy, that was funny. At first I thought he had walked in on Higgins in the middle of an actual session.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Okay so this has been on my mind for like forever, but in the series Choujuu Sentai Liveman (1988-1989), there is a morphing sequence music cue that sounds like the Magnum theme and "Conga" put together. Considering the show aired after this episode, I can seriously imagine a Sentai producer or composer seeing this episode somewhere and coming up with it. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rs0tYsu-wM

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

#35 Post by Milton Collins »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Some key takeaways for me (over the 3 episodes....

1) From "I.A.J.D.", my take of Frank Peterson as a "jackhole" still rings true.

2) Apparently "Conga" was the only Latin song in 1988 since they played it like 4 times throughout the episode.

3) Higgins can bust a move, and has added another weapon to his arsenal - "The Dropkick of Devastation".

4) Higgins was so happy when Magnum came out of the coma. I thought he would start skipping or something! (But clearly that shows JH's range as an actor)
OMG AMAZING post Doc Ibold ha ha ha! I've literally been laughing out loud since I just saw this!

Frank Peterson - Arguably as HATEABLE as any other character in the entire series, especially considering he's not even a villain!

Conga playing throughout has always mystified me, come on now, there had to be a couple other songs they could have put in there!

The aptly named "Dropkick of Devastation" has always cracked me up! This episode was in the first 5 or so that I ever saw and I remember after seeing this scene that Higgins was some sort of fighting expert and laughing about it! Not that he doesn't have tons of combat experience and some self proclaimed "karate skills" like we see in many episodes, but not knowing better I thought he was the shows badass!

Higgins dancing was amazing, the finger snapping and such, not to mention his hilarious outfit!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re: SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

#36 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Milton Collins wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
2) Apparently "Conga" was the only Latin song in 1988 since they played it like 4 times throughout the episode.
Conga playing throughout has always mystified me, come on now, there had to be a couple other songs they could have put in there!
Agreed. :lol: I know that song was a huge crossover hit around that time but come on! :lol: Plus it was always the chorus and not the instrumental parts utilized. :P

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#37 Post by Gatchaman »

When she’s having tea with Magnum, Agatha says, “astounding the way tea restores one’s spirits, isn’t it?” I was immediately reminded of something similar P.L. Travers says at the hotel bar in Saving Mr. Banks, which was, “Tea is balm for the soul, don’t you agree?” It’s not that close, but close enough to trigger the ol’ memory circuits.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

ifunlisted
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#38 Post by ifunlisted »

Magnum sees a psychiatrist, Dr. Lawrence Hallert, but the “State University” Diploma on the wall of Dr. Hallert’s office has a different name. I can’t quite make it out, the first name definitely looks like Joseph but the last name is a little too fuzzy, Gillich or something. I’m actually very interested in knowing the name on the diploma if anyone has a clearer video or inside info:)

Nifty911
Captain

#39 Post by Nifty911 »

Good episode with one flaw - they didn't have to play the Conga every 8 minutes.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by K Hale »

Gatchaman wrote:When she’s having tea with Magnum, Agatha says, “astounding the way tea restores one’s spirits, isn’t it?” I was immediately reminded of something similar P.L. Travers says at the hotel bar in Saving Mr. Banks, which was, “Tea is balm for the soul, don’t you agree?” It’s not that close, but close enough to trigger the ol’ memory circuits.
She said something similar in “Home From the Sea.”
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Chris109 »

Disco Higs

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by K Hale »

Chris109 wrote:Disco Higs

I love this!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#43 Post by brianw »

Funny moments (Higgins dancing), but mostly a bad episode for me. I think MPI had jumped the shark by now. Sorry.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by T.Q. »

I like this episode.

Made this.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

Re:

#45 Post by Spagnum »

Paniolo wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:50 pm What's up with the tiki-torch sized flames jetting up from the votive wedding candles??? LOL
I noticed that too! I think there must have been some fuel in them, not just regular wax and wick, because in the interest of time, they needed them to flare up quickly. It would have taken too long to light, what was it, like 8(?) regular candles.