If the Magnum is Reborn, Then What Sports Car Gets the Part?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

BWheelz54
Admiral

If the Magnum is Reborn, Then What Sports Car Gets the Part?

#1 Post by BWheelz54 »

Lots and lots of great casting ideas for parts in case MPI would be reborn with new faces. But I was wondering what kind of sports car would take the place of the famous red Ferrari? I don't know much at all about sports cars. Does anyone have a cool car to drop into the role, and any pics to go with it? Thanks again all. :higgins:

DogZy
Lieutenant

Re: If the Magnum is Reborn, Then What Sports Car Gets the P

#2 Post by DogZy »

As a big petrolhead, I approve this thread :D

It does not have to be a Ferrari or...?
Either way, I will post both Ferraris and other sports cars...
Just as a side note: I was only posting italian sport cabriolet versions, I can't imagine modern Magnum to be in some German or English machine :? However, there are a whole bunch of sport cars. To add, cars I searched for, in my opinion, should not be extreme like the Pagani, Ferrari F12 Berlinetta or Lamborghini Aventador and should not be "in your face" like modern Lambos... In 70s and 80s, 308 was the entry model for Ferrari, that is why I chose these 3, not so pricey models. (However, this Alfa is out of production and that time was the most powerful Alfa!. The Maserati is still in production and it is their top line product).

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione Spider

Ferrari 458 Spider

Maserati GranCabrio Sport

This thread could include also modern replacements for the old Audi 5000 and TCs VW van, too.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I have a difficult time straying from anything "traditional MPI" so I vote for the Ferrari...but if not, I like the idea of a Tesla for TM...

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by terryfromkerry »

Great thread guys.

I can see the more senior Magnum driving daughter Lily's VW Beetle soft top. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GUY »

Ferrari concept 612GTO:

As listed above, this is just a "concept" but at this juncture, so is a movie or remake of the series.. :magnum: But just like some of the stories/scripts that have been suggested, it sure looks good on paper! :lol:
Last edited by 308GUY on Fri May 16, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

DogZy
Lieutenant

#6 Post by DogZy »

The last Ferrari exist only on sketches and computer. But it looks good, it evokes the late 50s and early 60s design... (which is mine favourite era :p).
If we are going to electric vehicles, go and check out Croatian pride and joy, Rimac Concept One. It has in its name Concept, but actually about 10 models were made and sent to customers throughout the world. It holds the world record as a fastest electric vehicle (305 km/h).

As a Audi replacement, I see A8, 7 series or S class. But I'm a fond of CLS class :)

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

DogZy wrote:The last Ferrari exist only on sketches and computer. But it looks good, it evokes the late 50s and early 60s design... (which is mine favourite era :p).
If we are going to electric vehicles, go and check out Croatian pride and joy, Rimac Concept One. It has in its name Concept, but actually about 10 models were made and sent to customers throughout the world. It holds the world record as a fastest electric vehicle (305 km/h).

Robin better sell a few more novels with that million dollar price tag! :shock:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

I love Ferrari's, heck I love exotic cars of any make and model but the two Ferrari's that always give me goosebumps are the 308 (of course) and the Enzo....It screams every cliche in the book about the gentleman who drives one........

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:I love Ferrari's, heck I love exotic cars of any make and model but the two Ferrari's that always give me goosebumps are the 308 (of course) and the Enzo....It screams every cliche in the book about the gentleman who drives one........
That made me chuckle . . . :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

It has to be a Ferrari that's a given in my books!
At the moment I'm thinking a 458 Spider would be the best choice.

LutherGillis
Ensign

#11 Post by LutherGillis »

The mere idea that the car needs to be recast is very telling in the aftermath of the James Bond BMW Z3 debacle. I guess there is a whole generation out there who are so accustomed to corporate sponsorship and product placement in movies that Occam's razor has now grown dull and rusty. In my opinion, a red Ferrari is non-negotiable, to be sure. But the model must be an elegant one, not one of those sharky, nouveau riche, concept vehicles that suggest an aroma of Axe body spray.

I think the Ferrari 360, 430, and 458 represent the three latest models that could arguably be considered descendants of the 308/328. Personally, the 360 is the best looking of the three, but it is getting a little long in the tooth (last produced in 2004). Don't forget that the show spanned 8 years without ditching the car for a different model (yes, there were 3 variants used, but most laymen couldn't tell the difference). Therefore, a precedent exists for Robin Masters to hang on to a car for a few years.

MiniMag
Lieutenant

#12 Post by MiniMag »

In my idea for the new Magnum PI television series, Robin Masters has passed away. The estate now belongs to Higgins. The Ferrari was placed in storage when Magnum re-entered active duty. Magnum returns to Hawaii upon his retirement from the Navy. Unknown to Magnum, the Ferrari was given to him in Robin's will. Upon Thomas's return to the Robin's Nest, Higgins informs Magnum of something Robin left for him and is presented the keys to the Ferrari. Higgins makes note that this time around the Ferrari is all Magnum's.

MPI would not be the same without the original Ferrari. It was too much an icon of not only the show but also the character of Thomas Sullivan Magnum.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#13 Post by ConchRepublican »

LutherGillis wrote:The mere idea that the car needs to be recast is very telling in the aftermath of the James Bond BMW Z3 debacle. I guess there is a whole generation out there who are so accustomed to corporate sponsorship and product placement in movies that Occam's razor has now grown dull and rusty. In my opinion, a red Ferrari is non-negotiable, to be sure. But the model must be an elegant one, not one of those sharky, nouveau riche, concept vehicles that suggest an aroma of Axe body spray.

I think the Ferrari 360, 430, and 458 represent the three latest models that could arguably be considered descendants of the 308/328. Personally, the 360 is the best looking of the three, but it is getting a little long in the tooth (last produced in 2004). Don't forget that the show spanned 8 years without ditching the car for a different model (yes, there were 3 variants used, but most laymen couldn't tell the difference). Therefore, a precedent exists for Robin Masters to hang on to a car for a few years.
I haven't read a more visually descriptive line in a long time. Good stuff!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by eagle »

I'd love to see a 488 GTS used, but as of yet there is no targa top 488, so maybe a 488 GTB -- but in my mind the targa top's importance goes all the way back to the pilot.

I agree with Luther Gills: I always liked the F355 (especially the F1 model) and F430. I'm really not a fan of the 458/488, but those are still in the same line which is why I suggested them.

We can hope: https://instagram.com/p/yp-_Gdqzra/

Derek
Commander

#15 Post by Derek »

Not a current model and very different from the 308 GTS, but a red F50 would be perfect in my opinion if we are confined to Ferrari. It looks stunning, especially without the roof. I think it's their masterpiece, even better-looking than the F40 (in turn, the F40 sound is just breathtaking). There are faster ones these days, but this one is just the perfect mix of power and looks (all my subjective opinion). And the prices are hefty, given that today's wealthy are even wealthier than in the 80s, so it would be appropriate for whoever would be Robin's successor.

If you insist on current Ferraris, I'm sorry to say I have no clue what they currently have, apart from their Formula 1 race cars. Anyway, Hawai'i is beautiful, so there should be beautiful cars :) Now we just need someone to take care of security and drive around in that car. Who volunteers? ;)
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.