Magnum's or Selleck's Scars on shoulder

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Csoncs
Ensign

Magnum's or Selleck's Scars on shoulder

#1 Post by Csoncs »

Does anyone know if Tom Selleck has actual scars on his left shoulder?

I noticed them several times in the first season at least.

I wondered if this were a makeup job in relation to his Vietnam service? so they kept putting them on throughout? or if this were actual injuries that Tom Selleck has.

Seems like an interesting bit of trivia to know, and yet, I only find conjecture and no real answers about this on the web.

Thanks for any insight!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Magnum's or Selleck's Scars on shoulder

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

Good question and welcome aboard!

The deltoid scar may be real... It seems to be there in a variety of places that don't have anything to do with Vietnam, like surfski races and such... Which makes me think its actual.

Mcmullan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by Mcmullan »

I seem to recall an episode early in the first season (possibly the pilot) where he swims ashore and proceeds to massage his shoulder. A flashback to Vietnam ensues and my interpretation was that although the flashback didn't show him being injured, it implied that he inflicted the scar from one of his three tours.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

Mcmullan wrote:I seem to recall an episode early in the first season (possibly the pilot) where he swims ashore and proceeds to massage his shoulder. A flashback to Vietnam ensues and my interpretation was that although the flashback didn't show him being injured, it implied that he inflicted the scar from one of his three tours.
You are correct it was the pilot in the beginning when he leans up against the sea wall. If you look at any of the old Battle Of The Network Stars on You Tube showing Selleck either being dunked or swimming you wont see the scar (I always thought it looked fake anyway). This makes me think that as many times as Magnum was shot over the run of the series he should have been chock full of scars and not so willing to take his shirt off...... :magnum:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

In looking at the screen caps I've taken over the years, there appears to be two different scars on his left shoulder. The roundish bullet hole scar is definitely fake. This thing moves around, changes size and then disappears from time to time. But there is another scar on the top of his left shoulder, a straight, longish scar, that is hard to see in many shots. This one might be real, because it doesn't move or change shape and can be seen in later episodes (not just the early ones).

Skin Deep

Thicker than Blood

The Black Orchid

J. "Digger" Doyle

From Moscow to Maui

Wave Goodbye

Three Minus Two

Foiled Again

Jororo Farewell

On Face Value

Echoes of the Mind

The Man From Marseilles

That's a lot of Magnum/Selleck skin there. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

TexCavyPI
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by TexCavyPI »

I am glad someone addressed this issue because I have been wondering. From your photos it would seem the round one is fake. I noticed it because I am re-watching the show on Encore Classic. I don't care about any shortcomings in the show. I like it. And I am just so bloody thankful to have ANYTHING to watch that is better than all of this bogus reality tv craze. ya know.
Magnum: You're doing to Sally exactly what Rex Harrison did to Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.
You're using her as a guinea pig for your own self-indulgent experiment.

Wattysmom
Ensign

#7 Post by Wattysmom »

Just discovered my TV is a Smart TV. Been bingeing Magnum on PrimeTV. Believe the shoulder scar is real cause it's the same in all of the first four seasons. And since I have a number of similar scars myself it looks old.