Real Progress Report

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

HANS
Ensign

#31 Post by HANS »

A Movie with all original Casts must come up in the next years ... could be something like "Born to be wild (2007)" - ?

Bathurstfan
Commander

#32 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hi Guys

With Hawaii Five O doing ok on tv at least in Australia, who thinks they may repeat history and give us a whole new TV series to follow on and continue using facilities they use for Hawaii Five O?

Surely the guys responsible for the movie could have got it off the ground by now, unless the potential for a TV series or other prevents it

I noticed in one episode of Magnum they show the Wo Fat restautant Wo Fat Mc Garretts nemisis was apparently named after, can anyone remember the episode?

What do you all think?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Just saw the 21 Jump Street movie over the weekend and it reinforced to me the fact that any Magnum movie on the big screen will not feature the original cast in their original roles. 21 Jump Street was a parody in many ways but was actually a good modern movie as well. If they had to make a Magnum movie with a new cast and had sufficient nods to the original show including prominent and extended cameos (as Jump Street did) I could live with that.
I think the problem with that idea is that the "nod" we want would be the characters themselves that are being replaced. TM, Rick, TC, Higgins . . . they all have to be replaced, and then how do you include them at the same time?

I still think one of the better ideas was proposed in this forum, with a grown Lily becoming a focus, with the Magnum crew working support. TC's got kids as well, they getting involved in situations with the parents supporting, bailing them out, running something opposite them due some misunderstanding or being played by the bad guy . . . I think that's the way to go.

You get the original cast for we die-hards, and a younger cast, say Jessica Alba and Damon Wayans Jr. or Donald Faison and Gabrielle Union to pull in the younger set and make people (read:studio) feel better about the possibility to proceed with sequels.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Just saw the 21 Jump Street movie over the weekend and it reinforced to me the fact that any Magnum movie on the big screen will not feature the original cast in their original roles. 21 Jump Street was a parody in many ways but was actually a good modern movie as well. If they had to make a Magnum movie with a new cast and had sufficient nods to the original show including prominent and extended cameos (as Jump Street did) I could live with that.
I think the problem with that idea is that the "nod" we want would be the characters themselves that are being replaced. TM, Rick, TC, Higgins . . . they all have to be replaced, and then how do you include them at the same time?

I still think one of the better ideas was proposed in this forum, with a grown Lily becoming a focus, with the Magnum crew working support. TC's got kids as well, they getting involved in situations with the parents supporting, bailing them out, running something opposite them due some misunderstanding or being played by the bad guy . . . I think that's the way to go.

You get the original cast for we die-hards, and a younger cast, say Jessica Alba and Damon Wayans Jr. or Donald Faison and Gabrielle Union to pull in the younger set and make people (read:studio) feel better about the possibility to proceed with sequels.

Yes!!! Or as I have been shouting for about four years, Mila Kunis as Lily............Let's see how Dallas does tonight mixing a young cast with the originals.I'm predicting a hit............

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by erock308 »

I have stated before that a new series was the the best way to go, and the idea would be that Lily is all grown up and following in her fathers foot steps as a p.i.

Hot girl kicking but, living on the estate, driving a new Ferrari and shot in hawaii... Now that's something I think we would all watch... Plus, we could always have a few cameos from original cast members and a lot of story tie-ins to the original show.

Perhaps the show starts with Robin Masters funeral and he leaves everything to Lily. After all Higgigins/Robin would have done that I'm sure ;-)
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Seaver41 »

referencing the mention of the 21 Jump Street movie........that CANNOT work for Magnum because Magnum is Selleck........and by that I mean the character is not necessarily iconic.......the actor is.

Batman, Superman etc are bigger than any one actor that played them and thus those will be recycled, but Selleck was so much a part of the Magnum character that there isn't a generic 'Magnum' role to populate. Maybe in time the brand will allow for it, but for now the two are intertwined and somebody else doing it will be an epic failure. Some shows just won't translate to the big screen as a stand alone format.

I would use the Miami Vice movie as an example. There was only one Don Johnson and IMO, he was the character. The remake borrowed the names, places, and general plot, but it never felt like the series.

I'll give Dallas credit. They've done a good job of blending generations and in the next to last episode of season they got clever by bringing the younger rivals full circle and essentially are rebooting the eventual family feud that defined the original. I thought it was a clever tactic. They introduced the characters riding the the premise already established....then did a 180 which will eventually be exploited to become the same old formula, but in the time they will take to get there they are gambling the new format/characters gain a strong foothold. I will be curious to see if they have the guts to kill off the old generation.

Magnum never established a world that could plausibly be exploited later. Lilly alone is a bit thin and they would have to get lucky with the actress/writing to make it work. At best , you might get cameos then.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

Magnum Idea and Feasibility

#37 Post by Kevster »

I posted something in another thread and it hasn't ledt me for two weeks... The magic of MPI was centered around the characters. You can't recreate that with a new cast. All these guys are too old to play the parts the same way they did, so they would have to evolved... The GOOD news is that a reunion movie could use the "quirks" original show to its advantage.

JH is 80 and retired. I don't know what is up with him, but he likely wants it kept that way (even if he's still healthy enough and mentally sharp enough to play some kind of part). However, we can plug in Hillerman or a voice actor/impersonator (if necessary to do it without him) and without even being seen (ala RM/Orson Welles). The JQH character (preferrably with JH) needs to be a part, and the TM/JQH relationship needs to be a factor SOMEHOW. That was a VERY endearing part of the show's chemistry.

They need to be old guys. Divergent lives that come back together, and they need to have a relationship catalyst. TM was fiercly loyal to his friends, so that needs to be a big part of it. The action isn't practical for these actors, it's all about reconciliation of these relationships.

As a matter a fact, I'm actually a pretty good technical writer, but I've never written any fiction. So I felt a sudden urge to see what would fall out on paper about a MPI Teleplay (vision: 2-3 hours). Great little plot twists, McGuffin, etc. I ended up with an outline, about 8 pages of dialogue, and some great character connections from established character histories. The idea is to more completely reveal the backstory of the whole RM/JQH confusion, reveal some motivations, and reconile it all. Considering the neame of the final two episodes of the series, "Reconciliations" would be a great title.

All that said, I don't think there is ANY chance of it getting made. The powers that be would need some sort of miraculous epiphony that this would make money...

However, a MPI movie with some crossover and that led to introducing a new "crossover" character or two into H50 might be a good idea. It would reinforce the new H5O brand going forward... A couple more good years out of popular property is something that might influence them. I might also create a chance at some recurring appearances by MPI alum?

A great ending would entail JH making a very short facial cameo near the end. Like a car pulling up, the window coming down, and a guy winking his smiling eyes past a pair of sunglass... No physical demands to speak of...

So what do you all think? What are the chances and the pros and cons of an idea like that?
Trust Me!!!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Magnum Idea and Feasibility

#38 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Kevster wrote:I posted something in another thread and it hasn't ledt me for two weeks... The magic of MPI was centered around the characters. You can't recreate that with a new cast. All these guys are too old to play the parts the same way they did, so they would have to evolved... The GOOD news is that a reunion movie could use the "quirks" original show to its advantage.

JH is 80 and retired. I don't know what is up with him, but he likely wants it kept that way (even if he's still healthy enough and mentally sharp enough to play some kind of part). However, we can plug in Hillerman or a voice actor/impersonator (if necessary to do it without him) and without even being seen (ala RM/Orson Welles). The JQH character (preferrably with JH) needs to be a part, and the TM/JQH relationship needs to be a factor SOMEHOW. That was a VERY endearing part of the show's chemistry.

They need to be old guys. Divergent lives that come back together, and they need to have a relationship catalyst. TM was fiercly loyal to his friends, so that needs to be a big part of it. The action isn't practical for these actors, it's all about reconciliation of these relationships.

As a matter a fact, I'm actually a pretty good technical writer, but I've never written any fiction. So I felt a sudden urge to see what would fall out on paper about a MPI Teleplay (vision: 2-3 hours). Great little plot twists, McGuffin, etc. I ended up with an outline, about 8 pages of dialogue, and some great character connections from established character histories. The idea is to more completely reveal the backstory of the whole RM/JQH confusion, reveal some motivations, and reconile it all. Considering the neame of the final two episodes of the series, "Reconciliations" would be a great title.

All that said, I don't think there is ANY chance of it getting made. The powers that be would need some sort of miraculous epiphony that this would make money...

However, a MPI movie with some crossover and that led to introducing a new "crossover" character or two into H50 might be a good idea. It would reinforce the new H5O brand going forward... A couple more good years out of popular property is something that might influence them. I might also create a chance at some recurring appearances by MPI alum?

A great ending would entail JH making a very short facial cameo near the end. Like a car pulling up, the window coming down, and a guy winking his smiling eyes past a pair of sunglass... No physical demands to speak of...

So what do you all think? What are the chances and the pros and cons of an idea like that?
I think it's the way it should be done and the only way I would watch this film. That's what we fans would like to see. The problem is that it's teenagers who fill the theaters. And they've probably never wacthed or heard of Magnum, so they're not going to pay to watch some old men talk. They want lots of action, muscle-bound heroes and female eye candy.

Bathurstfan
Commander

Re: Real Progress Report

#39 Post by Bathurstfan »

Bathurstfan
Commander

#40 Post by Bathurstfan »

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Steve »

I just threw up in my mouth..............

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Stelth »

I have no interest in seeing a Magnum vehicle directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#43 Post by Doc Ibold »

The way he describes it makes it sound like he completely missed the premise of the show. I have no idea how Beverly Hills Cop (which is a decent movie, to be sure) could be compared with Magnum PI save for them both being in the 80s.

If he's going to try and cast Magnum as an Axel Foley type, count me out as soon as possible.

It just sounds poorly conceived, and the fact that he's kind if a comedy type guy really scares me. While the guys have their issues with Universal, I have to give them credit for not green lighting it.

I can also see TS saying heck no based on the fact he views Magnum as more of an extension of himself than just a role.

ConchRepublican

#44 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bathurstfan wrote:Here is a new link hope it helps.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/magnum- ... um-pi-film
Umm.... I don't believe Mr. Thurber gets it. I would be very afraid if he were in any way attached to a Magnum movie. :evil:
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#45 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:I just threw up in my mouth..............
Agreed. :oops:
CoziTV Superfan spot