Tom wants to be Magnum again?

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

Tom wants to be Magnum again?

#1 Post by No need to know! »

:D Best news of the "Magnum P.I" movie project so far :D
I actually think Tom Selleck might do it now. I was sceptic before but this was good news indeed. But i would rather see a couple of good tv-movies than a bigscreenmovie.
Onion´s extra?

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#2 Post by Mavrick »

I hope you are Right my friend
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by robspace54 »

I wonder if TS would consider buying some of the rights to the show to make a made for TV movie?

One way to make it happen. I know what you're thinking...

AND from my "read" on Tom Selleck's quotes I think HE REALLY WANTS TO PLAY MAGNUM AGAIN!
Last edited by robspace54 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#4 Post by Mavrick »

I bet if TS and the rest of crew came up with a plot line and the rest of the nine yards that they would not turn him down, because the 80's are hot right now
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Bathurstfan
Commander

A series of movies is what is needed

#5 Post by Bathurstfan »

Guys and girls

I truly believe there are enough Magnum die hard fans like us they should aim to release regular movies, just like the James Bond franchise.

Maybe release the first two movies at the same time. One movie set in the 80’s with the other movie set now.

I want Magnum to last not just be a one off movie then forget it. Really I think it has the potential to be like James Bond a movie every few years.

OP
Ensign

#6 Post by OP »

Well I guess TS would love 2 be Magnum again and he have a idea 4 the screenplay 2.

Quote (time.com):

"... I have to ask you about the Magnum, P.I. movie. 
I know nothing. They haven't asked. They wanted to do one in the '90s. Tom Clancy wanted to write it because he was a big Magnum fan. But they blew it. It would be fun to revisit the guy. The problem with movies about television is they usually spend $100 million on explosions and then make fun of the original show. I'd hate to see that. The fans wouldn't like it.

Could anyone else play you? 
I really don't want anyone else to play me. But would I play me, and they were weren't writing Magnum as a 17-year-old? I'd probably take it on.

Where's Magnum now? 
I know where he is. He went to being a Navy seal. If they do a movie, they should do it when he gets out of the Navy and tries to back to his life in Hawaii. ..."

The Quote is from: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 62,00.html

Sort of 'aged' but I'am shure TS aint change his mind:)

Bathurstfan
Commander

#7 Post by Bathurstfan »

So all the other news has dried up, it would be great to see a Magnum PI movie, but it seems with no news the chances are slim for the next few years. Don't get me wrong a TV movie every 12 months or big screen job like the James Bond movies every 5 years would be great, they should keep Magnim PI going a new movie every so often.

lanceroten
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by lanceroten »

Any Magnum movie, TV or Big Screen, without Selleck as Magnum, would be complete blasphemy. I hope one gets made eventually, but we gotta have the real Magnum.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm in the severe minority here . . . of course I would LOVE to see Selleck back as Magnum in some way. I'd prefer a series of TV movies which I think would be easier to make and would give us a better chance of seeing more of them.

But . . . I also didn't mind the idea of Matthew McConaughey playing the role. Of all the names bandied about I thought, if the script were right, and that's the most important part, he could pull it off. It wouldn't be Selleck, but I'm kind of resigned to it being a reboot and figured let's get the best possible reboot we can, capturing the feel we all loved of the series.

To me it's like the comic book movies. I've been a comics reader for over 35 years and am a big Iron Man fan. While the first Iron Man movie wasn't spot on regarding the history and continuity of Iron Man, they got the feel right. Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark isn't exactly like the comic book version, but he was a perfect choice and he felt right.

I hope for the same thing with the Magnum reboot.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Magnum N.I.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Tom wants to be Magnum again?

#10 Post by Magnum N.I. »

Yes he does, and that's what's holding up the production. Nobody wants him, but they can't make the film without his approval. I don't think he has any legal claim, but the studio fears any bad publicity if he isn't happy. The reason they don't want him is probably because his agent will demand an exorbitant salary for his client and the movie would have to be the highest grossing film of all time for the studio to make what they feel would be an acceptable profit for them. I suspect that's the reason that Quentin Tarantino has cancelled his plans for making Kill Bill III in 2014. Uma agreed to do the film, but probably only in principal. Her agent no doubt demanded a fortune. Bear in mind, that Tarantino only paid David Carradine $250K for both Kill Bill I & II combined. Read "The Kill Bill Diary," by David Carradine.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

Magnum N.I. wrote:Yes he does, and that's what's holding up the production. Nobody wants him, but they can't make the film without his approval. I don't think he has any legal claim, but the studio fears any bad publicity if he isn't happy. The reason they don't want him is probably because his agent will demand an exorbitant salary for his client and the movie would have to be the highest grossing film of all time for the studio to make what they feel would be an acceptable profit for them. I suspect that's the reason that Quentin Tarantino has cancelled his plans for making Kill Bill III in 2014. Uma agreed to do the film, but probably only in principal. Her agent no doubt demanded a fortune. Bear in mind, that Tarantino only paid David Carradine $250K for both Kill Bill I & II combined. Read "The Kill Bill Diary," by David Carradine.
I would suspect the reason would be that there is a major problem with finding a suitable script that does justice to the series and what it stood for. You can take it the purely comedic route and have Ben Stiller as Rick, Magnum be a one dimensional womanizer and have whomever plays Higgins as a complete jerk who stands in Magnums way. Or you could take it the super gritty route which ignores several humorous aspects of the show that made it what it was. The truth would have to lie somewhere in the middle.

I'm with Conch in that a TV movie would probably be the best route in terms of character exposition. I don't see that happening due to some comments from TS saying he DIDN'T want that to happen. (I may be wrong on that last part)

Last I heard, the guy who did Dodgeball (while a funny movie) was set to helm Big Screen Magnum. Treating it in that vein would be a disaster, and it would turn into a farce.

I think Magnum has a strong enough fan base that if the movie isn't done properly, there will be a bigger backlash than anything TS could say.. And to that point I think he realizes that moreso than the size of the payday. Plus the fact that he treats Magnum more as a reputation than a role.

Just my two cents.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Stelth »

I would be happy with just a one-off TV movie. A few would be even better.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GUY »

Stelth wrote:I would be happy with just a one-off TV movie. A few would be even better.

Agreed.

The possibilities are virtually endless, but unless handled in the proper manor, could be a train wreck going somewhere to happen.

I don't think if any of the original cast members were even remotely invlolved, they'd ever let that happen though.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Magnum N.I.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by Magnum N.I. »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Magnum N.I. wrote:Yes he does, and that's what's holding up the production. Nobody wants him, but they can't make the film without his approval. I don't think he has any legal claim, but the studio fears any bad publicity if he isn't happy. The reason they don't want him is probably because his agent will demand an exorbitant salary for his client and the movie would have to be the highest grossing film of all time for the studio to make what they feel would be an acceptable profit for them. I suspect that's the reason that Quentin Tarantino has cancelled his plans for making Kill Bill III in 2014. Uma agreed to do the film, but probably only in principal. Her agent no doubt demanded a fortune. Bear in mind, that Tarantino only paid David Carradine $250K for both Kill Bill I & II combined. Read "The Kill Bill Diary," by David Carradine.
I would suspect the reason would be that there is a major problem with finding a suitable script that does justice to the series and what it stood for. You can take it the purely comedic route and have Ben Stiller as Rick, Magnum be a one dimensional womanizer and have whomever plays Higgins as a complete jerk who stands in Magnums way. Or you could take it the super gritty route which ignores several humorous aspects of the show that made it what it was. The truth would have to lie somewhere in the middle.

I'm with Conch in that a TV movie would probably be the best route in terms of character exposition. I don't see that happening due to some comments from TS saying he DIDN'T want that to happen. (I may be wrong on that last part)

Last I heard, the guy who did Dodgeball (while a funny movie) was set to helm Big Screen Magnum. Treating it in that vein would be a disaster, and it would turn into a farce.

I think Magnum has a strong enough fan base that if the movie isn't done properly, there will be a bigger backlash than anything TS could say.. And to that point I think he realizes that moreso than the size of the payday. Plus the fact that he treats Magnum more as a reputation than a role.

Just my two cents.
The gate keepers won't even look at my script.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Stelth »

I HATE the Dragnet, Starsky & Hutch, A-Team, Charlie's Angels-type movie adaptations. They all sucked. It would be awful if Magnum P.I. received that kind of treatment.