6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Weird... this is the third episode in a row (I sort of got the order mixed up because I took the wrong DVD case out) where I suspect one character from the start and he turns out to be the murderer!

Maybe it's because the blond kid also played a bad cop in Starsky & Hutch, I don't know, but I had him under suspicion the second he was shown on screen...

Either that or I should change my career and become a P.I.

The towel scene was weird, but maybe that is supposed to show that she's on drugs and doing weird things??? I mean the kid she borrows it from seems to be shaking his head in disbelief too!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Again it seems I'm going against the grain. What can I say? I like the more serious episodes. So while everyone is singing praises for "Tropical Madness" (an okay episode in my book) I'm singing praises for "Wave Goodbye". Ok, not exactly singing but it's a very good episode in my mind.

The introduction of the Nick Frangakis character (played wonderfully by the always dependable Wings Hauser) took this episode to another level I thought. I'm a sucker for episodes that have some connection to Vietnam and Magnum's past.

Plus it was a treat to see Vic Morrow in one of his last roles. I liked how they set him up as the red-herring. I actually fell for it and was surprised the killer ended up being his nice-guy partner W.K. Stratton.

The absence of Higgins here doesn't really bother me that much because I'd rather have a solid story than pointless bickering between Higgy and Magnum (as fun as those are at times). But the one scene that he does have here is a classic -- him trying to bargain with Magnum and Magnum saying they should just do stuff for each other out of friendship. Then... TWO WEEKS!! :lol:

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Seaver41 »

possible flub......after Magnum decks Kelly.....and he pulls his gun on Magnum......he gets up and then the camera angle from the back of Magnum pointing up towards the beach......you can see a shadow reflecting on the sand of someone.......I took this initially to be Vic Morrow, but in the timeline of the scene, Magnum would've seen him and the scene would have played out differently. It was not until he turned him around and started to walk do we see Morrow appear.

Decent episode. I look at Gary's place on the water and think to how that place now would be worth a fortune and completely upgraded. Amazing how waterfront property back then was taken for granted in a lot of places.

Somebody asked what happened to the Nick character..........I took the expression on his face after Magnum admitted he himself got 'help' that he relented and would eventually get that help. It was an expression of surprise (obviously) and wonderment that this guy who seems together was once in his spot.

I thought they did a great job of casting KC.....from the standpoint of not going for a typical beach body, but rather someone with a few party pounds on her........made her character's place in life very believable.

snp389
Captain

#34 Post by snp389 »

I like this Ep. Never saw it on TV. Fist time was on DVD.
In Australia, the 3rd series was the most prominent ever broadcast.
In my opinion, the best scenes are those with TM talking with Nick Frangakis. The look in TM's eyes are exactly that of a Veteran seeing 'stuff' that he's seen and been exposed to before. I can make comment on this subject, being a war Veteran myself.
I reckon it is also a great display of Tom Selleck's acting.
It's all in the eyes and the re-actions to things.

Bes
Commander

#35 Post by Bes »

This is a great episode and I couldn't agree less with all the nitpicking! Very surprised at the mixed reception to be honest. One of Series 2's best IMO.

Bathurstfan
Commander

Surfrider club

#36 Post by Bathurstfan »

Does anyone know if this club really existed and if so do you know its location?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Surfrider club

#37 Post by J.J. Walters »

Bathurstfan wrote:Does anyone know if this club really existed and if so do you know its location?
No, they built the exterior just for the episode (on the North Shore). The interior scenes were more than likely filmed on a soundstage at the Hawaii Film Studio.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Bathurstfan
Commander

Re: Surfrider club

#38 Post by Bathurstfan »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Bathurstfan wrote:Does anyone know if this club really existed and if so do you know its location?
No, they built the exterior just for the episode (on the North Shore). The interior scenes were more than likely filmed on a soundstage at the Hawaii Film Studio.
Thanks J.J, it looked really nice the Surfrider Bar, it is the type of place i would like, thanks for letting me know, I appreaciate it.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by No need to know! »

AmandaByNight wrote:I like this episode mostly for Vic Morrow and Wings Hauser. ESPECIALLY Wings, cuz I love that man.

I think the biggest weakness with this episode -- and this was the fault of many television series of the 80s -- was that we had no prior knowledge of the victim. So we see Magnum all upset, but have no background really as to why, and then we never hear about her again.

I mean, you saw stuff like that all the time on stuff like Hart to Hart, but here we see a noticably (sp?) distraught Thomas, and yet, we don't feel that sadness ourselves. Not like when Tanaka died (as an example)...
I have to agree totally with you here. I don´t know how many tv series i have seen that type of a storyline. Hart to Hart had it in numerous of episodes. You never saw them with real friends cause they always died in the beginning. And i recall another Magnum episode aswell with a "friend" of Thomas dying in the beginning. "Legacy from a friend"(season three). I liked that episode better though. Wow this was a really late response :D
Onion´s extra?

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by No need to know! »

I don´t know about you guys and girls but i get a bit depressed everytime i see something with Vic Morrow. He had a terrible end, and accidents like that isn´t tolerable. Sad.
Onion´s extra?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#41 Post by J.J. Walters »

No need to know! wrote:I don´t know about you guys and girls but i get a bit depressed everytime i see something with Vic Morrow. He had a terrible end, and accidents like that isn´t tolerable. Sad.
Me too! What a horrible way to go. What a tragedy. And those poor kids! :(

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Frodoleader »

Loved this episode. It is a typical MPI - and I mean that in positive and complimentary way!
My only gripe was that I found it very odd for two beat cops to be investigating the murder. From all the TV cop shows I've watched over the decades, isn't that a job for the detectives? Where is Tanaka?!?!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by 308GUY »

Just watched this one again recently.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere here, but may have missed it, talking about a possible "flub" I thought I saw.

After TM comes out of the Surfrider in the afternoon, and encounters the two officers outside, noticed after they left and TM was getting in the Ferrari. As he opens the door, enters the car and slides down into the seat, then pulls the door closed, you can see someone's reflection in the door mirror,(head and shoulders) and it's not TM's, and there doesn't appear to be anyone else behind the car in the next shot that would be reflected in the door mirror, so I guessed it must have been one of the crew?

Anybody else notice this one, or did I miss something?

Also, not a "flub" just an observation: when TM first questions Ralph (the barkeep in the club), he talks about greasing his palm, but as the scene cuts to inside the building, we can see that TM has enlisted different means of persuasion! Just struck me as slightly "out of character", as I said, just an observation.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by 308GUY »

Ok...just figured out that if you click on the "Magnum Mania" banner at the top of EVERY page...you get a whole bunch of new pages with a plethora of information containing "Everything you ever wanted to know about the TV show Magnum P.I."..and THEN some! Contained in it is the synopsis of each episode with a list of obvious "flubs", among which for this particular episode, is the one I mentioned above, plus several others that slipped completly by me. Day late and a dollar short for me...NOT an unusual situation, and one that I'm acustomed to.

Another reason this is such a good site, congrats again to J.J. and whoever helped set this site up initially. I'll try to educate myself a little better in the future before I spout off, but this IS a "forum", so I hope I wasn't out of line by posting my original inquiry.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

308GUY wrote:Ok...just figured out that if you click on the "Magnum Mania" banner at the top of EVERY page...you get a whole bunch of new pages with a plethora of information containing "Everything you ever wanted to know about the TV show Magnum P.I."..and THEN some!
Yeah, heh, the forum is just one small part of a larger entity... the Magnuverse! :)