6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 101

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:* A note regarding the spelling of Ice Pick – the closing credits spell it as two separate words, as opposed to one single word.
That's true Jay, but in "Death of the Flowers" the gang's surprise birthday sign had "Icepick" (not "Ice Pick") on it. If the gang spells it "Icepick", it's "Icepick". Plus, I believe there is another episode where the credits actually have it as "Icepick" (most of the episodes didn't show "Icepick/Ice Pick" in the credits, just Elisha Cook's name). ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I do recall the spacing changing a lot through the course of the series.

Almost as bad as Buck Green-e :D
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#33 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I like this episode, with just focusing on T.C. and Higgins. But there's an error in the filming: the part where TM is beating up Gorwitz, one of the scenes shows a black man as a stunt double! I caught this scene by using slow motion, and its near the end. So ya.

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#34 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

I watched this episode yesterday. When MAGNUM and RICK are in the TC's Office, we can see a book called "Las Monjas". It makes me laugh a lot!! :D :D
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#35 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

and... why not appears Tanaka at the end with the Guard Coasts? I miss more Tanaka in this episode. :(
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MACattack »

Great beginning, Magnum is almost ran over by a runaway truck, which then blows up! He's heroic when he rescues the injured driver. The rest of the episode kind of loses steam after that, though.
I just don't give a damn!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#37 Post by robspace54 »

Not a very good episode IMO. Convoluted, confusing, and contrived.

Would have made a much better story if TC and Higgins go down in the chopper (and of course Magnum and Rick come to their rescue) and the episode focused on their stuggle to survive. Ditch prison break, revenge story, and so forth.

I guess I didn't like it very much did I? :wink:

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#38 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

Agree. This episode is a little confusing. I need to see it again. It's the greatest of DVD's: we can watch again and again :D
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Ice Pick

#39 Post by nha trang »

"This story is also notable for the first time we see Rick’s aging underworld contact Ice Pick"

I swear there is footage of the other Icepick before this episode - but aside from watching my DVD's I also pick up Magnum random episodes on TV,

But isn't the episode where Rick takes revenge for his sister's killing before this episode? Or perhaps I did watch it on my DVD of an earlier season as an out of sequence "bonus episode."

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#40 Post by All About the Stache »

I gave it an 8.5, which seems to agree with the majority of the voters. I really liked TC and Higgins chemistry in this one, they worked great off each other.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Frodoleader »

Noted a flub: during the walk through the jungle, Higgins remarks that Lydon should take his loafers off, that walking would be easier. Higgy then comments that he would have to be careful of snakes and tarantulas though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand there are no snakes in Hawai'i? (At least for now, if they can keep the brown snake out of Guam from moving in on cargo ships and planes, etc.)
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

There are no tarantulas either. Higgy Baby was just trying to scare the guy to throw him off his game. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I actually really don't care much for this episode. :? All shows from the 70's and 80's seem to have to do some kind of prison and/or escaped prisoner type episodes. They're usually all the same...and this one's no different. A psycho escaped prisoner kidnaps one or some of the main stars and the other stars have to rescue them. It's just too predictable and boring. :?

The only things that make this one watchable are the scenes between Higgins and T.C., and the cool old abandoned gunnery placements on the beach--I assume left over from WWII. Also noteable is the first appearance of Rick's famous mob/underworld contact Ice Pick--however, he's played by a different actor than Elisha Cook (Jr.), and he's not as good as Cook eventually was.

Overall, this is not one I really enjoy much...I would have rated it "Not So Good", but because of the Higgins/T.C. moments and the gunnery placements (that I want to visit someday), I did end up rating it "Average At Best".
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Sisophous »

The script writers do this often, they put so many twists into an episode that it leaves the viewer confused and guessing. This episode is unique in it is nearly all filmed away from the estate and outdoors. They had a winner here but then come up with the most senseless plot with Lyden hiding out on an island and not blowing away Magnum when he had all the time to do so. Instead he has a discussion with Magnum, just long enough for Rick to arrive on the scene after swimming underwater for a half mile.

They should have had Lyden do what most people would do who escape prison, disappear out of sight and not take hostages on a remote, deserted island. To add to the absurdity, Lyden goes into an underground bunker with heavy artillery.

When they keep it real, it works, when they add bizarre behavior, it fizzles.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

I found the episode entertaining enough. This is another example where the episode is saved by the characters and in this case the overriding theme is Magnum will do anything to help a friend in need. Call it character affirmation as when Lyden tells Higgins that Magnum will put friends in danger before his own safety.

Don't get me wrong, there were elements that stretched the scope of plausibility, but it's episodic tv and sometimes you deal with it.