6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 143

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#31 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

You can try something like Netflix and see if they have it. If you want to buy it I'd try Amazon.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MACattack »

Thanks. I'll go with Amazon.
I just don't give a damn!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by charybdis1966 »

jno wrote:I just saw this episode on the UK satellite channel DMAX today, I had never seen it before or read about it on this site. Sadly, the episode is heavily edited and the final gun shot from Magnum wasn't shown, so I was left to wonder "did he do it or not?". Even without the gunshot my jaw dropped because I just thought "would he do it? no way, this is Magnum, but just maybe!"
I've been watching MPI on DMAX too and was pretty disappointed to see the denoument of this episode censored out.
I can't understand this at all - there are a whole heap of extremely violent things that are allowed to be shown and yet this pivotal moment is deemed something that has to be censored.
I can only assume it's the "do-gooders" ruling the roost again.

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by robspace54 »

The name of the prison camp was "Duc Que?" Can't find the right name - can anyone help me out?

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Sam »

Rob..I think it's Duc Hue,if it exists.Hue, pronounced Way was a South Vietnamese city about 20 miles northwest of DaNang.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:Rob..I think it's Duc Hue,if it exists.Hue, pronounced Way was a South Vietnamese city about 20 miles northwest of DaNang.
No need for past tense. Hue is still there. An amazing and beautiful city these days. I recommend a visit!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Sam »

Hi Styles,I wasn't very clear.What I was saying is I wasn't sure if Duc Hue was a real city or not.

Styles Bitchley

#38 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Google search seems to turn up references to a Camp Duc Hue used by Special Forces. I'm not very well versed in US military jargon, etc. Maybe someone else can make sense of it. A forum used by those stationed at Duc Hue can be accessed here.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#39 Post by miltontheripper »

Outside of the scene where TC and Nuzo steal the chopper with Nuzo blowing away marines with a machine gun (a bit ridiculous in my opinion) great episode and awesome ending!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This 2-hour season premiere was definitely memorable! I thought it really portrayed some of the "horrors" of Vietnam realistically, and everyone gave outstanding performances!

I also thought Roger E. Mosley did an awesome job--especially with his flashbacks to what Ivan had done to him and the others when they were POW's. The plot twists and the ever "evil" Col. Buck Greene (who should have been shot too somewhere along the line during the show's run :wink: ) also made this one interesting. Towards the end the storyline suddenly makes a few unexpected turns--and makes for a good "Hitchcockian" style twist of the characters.

I did not like the fact, though, that Mac was killed. :( I was not expecting that when I first watched this when it originally aired. But, that was part of the more seriousness to this episode. :? I also did not like it when they brought Mac back later in the show...but it was really this other "fake" guy who just looked like Mac. That character annoyed the heck out of me, and he was nothing like Mac. :x That was stupid and they should have let the character go...or they could have brought him back, and his death was actually faked and Mac was really still alive. But, the fake one was a moron! :roll:

But...the actual last few scenes of "Did You See the Sunrise?" are the most memorable and famous for this episode! I remember growing up watching this one, and for a while it was somewhat controversial! :o Some people didn't like the idea that Magnum shot Ivan in what is technically referred to as "cold blood". However, considering the situation and who/what Ivan was...I think it was totally justified--and should have been done long before that!

This episode many times is "darker" and more serious than many of the others...but Vietnam was exactly a "laughing" matter. I thought this one was captivating and excellent! :)

(I put this same post for Pt. 1, as well.)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

jimhalinda
Lieutenant

#41 Post by jimhalinda »

I was a casual Magnum viewer when it originally aired. I don't remember much about which episodes I had seen, but I definitely remember the final scene in this episode! It shocked me on several levels.

I never thought Magnum would shoot Ivan, but I remember being impressed and thinking that Magnum did it because it was the 'right thing to do', i.e. he couldn't just let Ivan get away with all of his past (and current) crimes. Also, I had been growing aware of the Cold War tensions at the time and it didn't seem so bad that he was executing a KGB agent.

I couldn't believe I was seeing this on a prime time TV show. And it made me realize that there was more to Magnum PI than just lightweight action/adventure/comedy.

And finally, it made my then 15-year-old mind realize that things like this probably did happen, and that the world 'out there' was a complicated and dangerous place.

This was definitely one of the best episodes in the series!

Regards,

Jim
"It will only distress you to continue this conversation" - Jonathan Quayle Higgins III

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

jimhalinda wrote:I was a casual Magnum viewer when it originally aired. I don't remember much about which episodes I had seen, but I definitely remember the final scene in this episode! It shocked me on several levels.

I never thought Magnum would shoot Ivan, but I remember being impressed and thinking that Magnum did it because it was the 'right thing to do', i.e. he couldn't just let Ivan get away with all of his past (and current) crimes. Also, I had been growing aware of the Cold War tensions at the time and it didn't seem so bad that he was executing a KGB agent.

I couldn't believe I was seeing this on a prime time TV show. And it made me realize that there was more to Magnum PI than just lightweight action/adventure/comedy.

And finally, it made my then 15-year-old mind realize that things like this probably did happen, and that the world 'out there' was a complicated and dangerous place.

This was definitely one of the best episodes in the series!

Regards,

Jim
Exactly, Jim...could not have said it better! This episode for me too, was one of the first ones that really made me realize that there was more to "Magnum" than action and humor...there was reality too!

The ending is one of the more shocking conclusions to an episode, of the series...very "Miami Vice-ish" with the 'blunt', to-the-point finale where Magnum shoots Ivan and it's done. Love the last line Magnum asks Ivan before he shoots him: "Did you see the sunrise?" Then...boom!! :wink: Awesome! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Doc Fred
Admiral

#43 Post by Doc Fred »

As others have said, this had a GREAT ending.... That ending makes you love Magnum even more. Justice was done, though not by a court. The ultimate evil in the entire series was taken out, never to harm again.

No PC and no tears for Ivan.

Styles Bitchley

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Doc Fred wrote:As others have said, this had a GREAT ending.... That ending makes you love Magnum even more. Justice was done, though not by a court. The ultimate evil in the entire series was taken out, never to harm again.

No PC and no tears for Ivan.
I always see this as "the Mike Hammer" episode. I'm a big fan of the Spillane novels and the 80s TV series and this is pretty much how every one ends! I never tire of it though.

Judge, jury, executioner. :wink:

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

just watched this for the first time in a LONG time.....and it amazes me what you don't ever forget.

Couple observations, I love Higgins referring to the chopper as an Easter egg when complaing that it should never land on the estate.

Maggie was hot.

Stalag 17 is an awesome movie....have seen it many times.

Best ending of any Magnum episode......the kind where you give a fist pump and let out a "YEAH". It had so much more impact then as the Cold War was starting to thaw.

A bit shocking to the ears to now hear dialogue use the 'N' word and other such colorful terms. I hadn't heard 'honkey' since the Jeffersons :D

One minor complaint.........and I can't remember if the original was played this way, but though I loved no preview highlights at the beginning, I felt the ending could've been done better after shot was fired. By that I mean the frozen shot was great, but the screen/credits shouldn't have jumped into the standard cheery song..........maybe silence would've been better for added effect. Like I said, minor complaint.

....but to then go into the Simon & Simon episode after this one was garbage IMO. Could that have been an out of sequence thingy?

I'm still partial to Memories are Forever, but this is right there as best episode.