Starsky and Hutch

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I have an 1:18 model which I got for my birthday last year. It is fantastic, if you open the doors it's even got a microscopic "Gran Torino" logo on the inside of the door.
I have a picture of it on one of my many flickr accounts, but I don't know the password to all of them. The passwords are at home on my desk.

But here's a Torino for all of you to make yourselves:

I am still hoping to own a real red and white Torino one day.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

There was an MPI fan site way back that had cut-out versions of Magnum's 308 and the Island Hoppers VW. I think the site was called "Robin's Nest" or something like that and forum member Marco used to be the admin. could be wrong though. It'd be cool to have those available for download from James' site too.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

If they are, I will actually make an effort and print them all out to put alongside my S&H model!!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Sam »

I checked the wayback machine and found a link from Marcos page,however the link is a goner.Third from the top.

http://web.archive.org/web/200606172127 ... /links.php

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

What a shame. If anyone finds them, be sure to post them on this forum!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Magnum T. »

Visiting Stewardess wrote: The spoof film is really only for the open minded die-hard fans. I was in a French S&H forum once and they all slated the film. Noone there saw the tongue-in-cheek that it was supposed to be. I think it was dead funny and it was quite clear that Ben Stiller had watched all 4 seasons of the series.
But I still found it a bit irritating that Hutch was the naive one and Starsky the cool know-all, as this was quite clearly mostly the other way round in the series.
I see your point.
Problem is that Ben Stiller works better in that kind of character (a little frenzied, you know) and, to say it all, I don't think Owen Wilson would have been the right guy to play a "series-like" Hutch, he's more the light-hearted type.
So, from a certain point of view, it was a natural choice to switch the temper of the characters.
Since I think of the movie as taking place in a "parallel universe", it doesn't bother me so much.
And the movie is funny.
One thing I don't like is how they portrayed the character of Huggy, an ultra-kitsch-larger-than-life pimp.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Yeah, huggy was a bit too pimpy, but I loved his clothes!!!
I liked the scene with the pony, that was too funny.

You are right about the characters of the actors, I have always seen this as a reason for the character swap too.
Anyway, I liked the film enough to buy it on DVD. I saw it on offer once in a supermarket and in my cart it went!!!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Sam »

I found the Van cutout.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Steve »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:
The spoof film is really only for the open minded die-hard fans. I was in a French S&H forum once and they all slated the film. Noone there saw the tongue-in-cheek that it was supposed to be. I think it was dead funny and it was quite clear that Ben Stiller had watched all 4 seasons of the series.
But I still found it a bit irritating that Hutch was the naive one and Starsky the cool know-all, as this was quite clearly mostly the other way round in the series.
I was a fan of the show in the seventies but thought the movie was really bad. As a stand alone I found parts of it mildly funny as it took good natured swipes at the seventies, disco, jiggly cheerleader films, "Easy Rider" and the seemingly inexhaustable use of the African American male actors as the cool, jive talking pimp (although I loved Snoop Dog as Huggy Bear). To me, Ben Stiller is like Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and any Wayans Brother; a little bit goes a long, long way..............

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:I found the Van cutout.
Nice one Sam! You gotta get yourself a job as a forensic investigator or something. I may be wrong about the Ferrari being available. Maybe it was just the van. It was a while back.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Oh, fantastic! Now I have to find someone with a colour printer!
Thanks for retrieving the can cutout!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Magnum T. »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Nice one Sam! You gotta get yourself a job as a forensic investigator or something. I may be wrong about the Ferrari being available. Maybe it was just the van. It was a while back.
I'm pretty sure there was the Ferrari too and I think I have them both somewhere in my backups.
Just I can't find them.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Seaver41 »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Yeah, huggy was a bit too pimpy, but I loved his clothes!!!
I liked the scene with the pony, that was too funny.

You are right about the characters of the actors, I have always seen this as a reason for the character swap too.
Anyway, I liked the film enough to buy it on DVD. I saw it on offer once in a supermarket and in my cart it went!!!!
I'd say the closest portrayal to an original was Fred Williamson as Dobey. Not that that part was a stretch.....just yell a lot and chomp on a cigar.

I have not seen S&H in quite some time.....10 years maybe. Some cable station ran repeats late at night for a time......TBS maybe? Can't remember. Great show.

I knew the movie was a spoof and thus it didn't interest me much...but I do like Stiller movies, Vince Vaughn...so I watched it. The cameo was, eh, but i kinda knew it would be as I was aware that David Soul over the years had packed on the pounds. He actually lookewd like he had lost a few of them for the movie (believe it or not). I think he moved overseas.

Anyways......another trip down memory lane to my childhood.

btw......who didn't love that freaking cannon that Hutch carried?

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

That's a huuuuuuuge gun...

Yes, David Soul has moved to London, UK, and he is even a British citizen now, has been since 2004.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:That's a huuuuuuuge gun...

Yes, David Soul has moved to London, UK, and he is even a British citizen now, has been since 2004.
just to be clear.....I am talking firearm...... :shock: