No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 101

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Mr. White Death (3.9)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Mr. White Death (3.9). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/18/1982
A former boxing champion asks Magnum to find his long-lost son, but elements of his story do not ring true.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

Possible flub or continuity error

#2 Post by eegorr »

As you state on the page for this episode, James, this is the first of three appearances of Margie Impert as Ms. Jones, the records clerk. If memory serves, we learn in Ms. Jones that her first name is Madeline.

Well, in this episode she has a nameplate sitting on the desk in front of her at the hall of records that clearly says:
MS. W. JONES

Interestingly, she answers a call from her boyfriend while Magnum is waiting for her, as she does in all three episodes, and she refers to the caller as Ray. So, they changed her first name between episodes, but not Ray's. I think they must have forgotten about the nameplate when they gave her a first name later.

I wonder if the same nameplate is used in Blind Justice. Can someone with the DVDs pull some screen caps of the nameplates (if any) in the three episodes for comparison?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks eegorr. I've updated the episode guide.

Her nameplates in Blind Justice & Ms. Jones say simply, "Ms. Jones".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Possible flub or continuity error

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

eegorr wrote:As you state on the page for this episode, James, this is the first of three appearances of Margie Impert as Ms. Jones, the records clerk. If memory serves, we learn in Ms. Jones that her first name is Madeline.

Well, in this episode she has a nameplate sitting on the desk in front of her at the hall of records that clearly says:
MS. W. JONES
Maybe the nameplate was turned upside down, so the "W" was supposed to be an "M" for Madeline. :wink:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

This is one of my favorite episodes from season 3. It also includes one of my favorite scenes of the entire series, which is when Higgins confronts Earl as Earl is skipping rope on Higgins' "freshly cultivated soil" and Higgins learns that Earl knew and wrestled with Corky Bostwick. The scene continues with Earl telling a story relayed to him by Corky and finally realizing that Higgins is "Punkie." Magnum then breaks out in hysterical laughter. :lol:

This episode also features several recurring characters, such as (i) Lord James Blears as the ring announcer/referee (Squeeze Play); Robert Spisa as the fight club bouncer with beard (Dream A Little Dream and By Its Cover); Reri Tava Jobe as the hotel manager (The Curse of the KKC, The Taking of Dick McWilliams); Linda Ryan as Cora (Jororo Farewell and The Big Blow); James Grant Benton as Harry Meacham (Paradise Blues, Underworld, Round and Around, Treasure of Kalaniopu'u); and Margie Impert as Ms. Jones (Blind Justice, Ms. Jones).

As much as I like this episode, it has some major flubs, which include:

1. The opening scene is supposed to take place in 1955 Miami. However, when Sal Marchese enters Joey's Barber Shop he gets a magazine before sitting down in the barber chair. The magazine Sal picks up is a National Geographic from 1982 (April, I believe), not 1955. :shock: Incidentally, this episode first aired on November 18, 1982.

2. As Magnum is leaving the "Hall of Records" for the last time (just after he gives Ms. Jones his handkerchief for the second time), you will see a woman in jogging shorts and jogging shoes walking up the steps of the Hall of Records and she is turning to the right as Magnum is coming out of the Hall of Records from the left. As Magnum is coming out look at the window which is in between the woman in jogging gear and Magnum. You will see a woman come to the window and look out as if looking to see what is going on. Obviously I don't know for sure, but it seems that she is aware that something is going on and TS is in the building, and she is looking out to get a glimpse of TS. I would imagine from her reaction that she probably worked in the building or was there on some business unrelated to the filming and saw what was going on and was curious. She definitely is not an extra, because her actions are deliberate and obvious. :shock:

3. The scene where Earl is showing TC the "Tazmanian Tiger Dance" you can tell that the guy on Earl's shoulders is Bob Minor (TC's stunt double), not only by his face, but also by the belt worn by Bob Minor, which is a darker brown than the belt worn by TC (Roger Mosley).

4. You can also tell that the guy being twirled around on Earl's shoulders (Earl's stunt double) is not Rick, but his stunt double. Rick is wearing black boots with large heels (as you will see in upcoming scenes with Earl and TC after Magnum arrives back at the estate a few minutes later), however, the guy on Earl's shoulders is wearing what looks like black sneakers with a flat rubber soles which are a different color, have a distinctive tread, and heel-less. You will also notice the sole of the stunt double's shoes when the stunt double falls face first after being dropped by Earl.

5. This next potential flub is very confusing and may not actually be a flub. When Magnum arrives at the estate in the Ferrari presumably "just" after talking to Phil Lewis for the first time, Magnum is now wearing different clothes from the last time we saw him which was at the hall of records, in the guest house with Rick, and talking to Phil Lewis for the first time. Then, Magnum was wearing his Detroit Tigers cap, a khaki long sleeve (rolled-up) button down shirt with pockets on the front, khaki shorts and brown boat shoes. However, upon his arrival at the estate, Magnum is now wearing his VMO2 DA NANG cap (which has been noted in the episode guide), jeans (not shorts), a long-sleeve polo type shirt (not the khaki button down shirt) and different shoes.

The reason why this is so confusing and why it may or may not be a flub is because we are initially led to believe that as Magnum arrives back at the estate he has "just" spoken with Phil at his office, which would make the fact that Magnum is now wearing different clothes, cap and shoes a definite flub. We are led to believe that Magnum has just returned from speaking with Phil that same day by his comments to Higgins as he is getting out of the Ferrari, and says: "His son 'just' told me that he wasn't his son, and he got real suspicious, he even ran a make on my license." Thus, Magnum's use of the word "just" implies that he came directly from Phil Lewis' office, which, again, would make the fact that he is now wearing different clothes a flub.

However, it is possible that this scene was supposed to take place the following day, which would provide an explanation for the change of clothes. After arriving at the Estate and briefly speaking with Higgins, Magnum confronts Earl about his son's denial, Earl gets upset and walks out of the estate. As Earl walks through the gate you will see Phil in his car by the estate entrance. Like Magnum, Phil is also wearing different clothes as compared to their first meeting at Phil's office. In this scene, while sitting in his car, Phil is now wearing a different shirt and different tie. This fact makes me believe that the scene with Magnum arriving at the estate was supposed to take place the day after Magnum's first meeting with Phil. But, then why would Magnum use the word "just" in referring to his conversation with Phil? Additionally, when Rick was at the guest house with Magnum just before Magnum went to Phil's office the first time, Rick's shirt appears to be a different color (white or off-white) than it is when Magnum arrives back at the estate to confront Earl (light blue). After Earl leaves the estate, Magnum and the guys leave and go to Phil's office to confront Cora. Magnum is now wearing a blue and white Aloha shirt and jeans. It is difficult to say whether this sequence of scenes were supposed to be all in one day or over a two day period. My guess is that the scenes where Magnum was talking to Phil for the first time to the time where he's seen arriving at the estate to confront Earl were supposed to take place over a two day period because of the fact that Phil, Rick and Magnum are all wearing a change of clothes. Therefore, the flub already noted in the episode guide regrding the different cap (Detroit vs. VMO2) is really not a flub. If you think you're tired after reading this, just imagine how I feel. :cry:

The only other explanation for the change of clothes regarding Magnum and Phil (right after meeting one another) is that maybe Magnum and Phil suffer from the same obsessive compulsive disorder that compels them to change clothes several times a day; or maybe they were so disgusted to be in each other's presence, they felt the need to change clothes. :lol:

As a side note, TC is seen wearing his Atlanta Falcons hat in the guest house with Magnum, Rick and Higgins after Earl leaves and just before they go to nab Cora. This is not a flub, but it is curious since TC was not wearing the hat while outside. This is the same hat that made a magical appearance in the episode "Faith and Begorrah" (season 3), which was a flub.

6. As Phil is walking toward Earl at the Airport, you will see "Dole" Pineapple boxes to Phil's left. Some of the boxes have what looks like white tape covering a portion of the "D" in Dole in an attempt to make it look like a different brand, i.e., "Cole." However, one of the boxes does not have the white tape covering the "D." Regardless of the tape covering the "D", you can still tell very easily that they are "Dole" Pineapple boxes. Just as Phil stops briefly, you can see a Skycap in the background carrying a "Dole" box. The "D" on the front of the box has the white tape to make it look like "Cole", but the "D" on the side of the box is not covered by the tape and clearly says "Dole."
Last edited by IslandHopper on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is one of my favorite episodes, as well. A perfect story for the great, lovable Ernest Borgnine.
IslandHopper wrote:2. As Magnum is leaving the "Hall of Records" for the last time (just after he gives Ms. Jones his handkerchief for the second time), you will see a woman in jogging shorts and jogging shoes walking up the steps of the Hall of Records and she is turning to the right as Magnum is coming out of the Hall of Records from the left. As Magnum is coming out look at the window which is in between the woman in jogging gear and Magnum. You will see a woman come to the window and look out as if looking to see what is going on. Obviously I don't know for sure, but it seems that she is aware that something is going on and TS is in the building, and she is looking out to get a glimpse of TS. I would imagine from her reaction that she probably worked in the building or was there on some business unrelated to the filming and saw what was going on and was curious. She definitely is not an extra, because her actions are deliberate and obvious. :shock:
LOL! That's got to be one of the best "Magnum Moments" of the entire show! She's definitely NOT an "extra". She's appears to be an ordinary office worker, with perfect timing! She looks out the window, scans the cameras (no doubt thinking, "Whoa, what's going on here?"), then appears startled when Tom Selleck walks by! :)

IslandHopper wrote:3. The scene where Earl is showing TC the "Tazmanian Tiger Dance" you can tell that the guy on Earl's shoulders is Bob Minor (TC's stunt double), not only by his face, but also by the belt worn by Bob Minor, which is a darker brown than the belt worn by TC (Roger Mosley).
Yep, good 'ol Bob Minor. You can also easily identify him towards the beginning of the episode, during the backstage brawl at the wrestling club.
IslandHopper wrote:The only other explanation for the change of clothes regarding Magnum and Phil (right after meeting one another) is that maybe Magnum and Phil suffer from the same obsessive compulsive disorder that compels them to change clothes several times a day; or maybe they were so disgusted to be in each other's presence, they felt the need to change clothes. :lol:

LMAO!! :lol:
IslandHopper wrote:As a side note, TC is seen wearing his Atlanta Falcons hat in the guest house with Magnum, Rick and Higgins after Earl leaves and just before they go to nab Cora. This is not a flub, but it is curious since TC was not wearing the hat while outside. This is the same hat that made a magical appearance in the episode "Faith and Begorrah" (season 3), which was a flub.
T.C. also wears his horrendous-looking "Hughes Helicopters" cap in this episode.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:(i) Lord James Blears as the ring announcer/referee
I had no idea until now, but this guy is a Pro Wrestling icon from the late '40s to the early '60s! "Lord Tally Ho", as he was called, tag teamed with Wrestling legend Gene Kiniski in the '50s. In the '60s and '70s he was an announcer and promoter for the local Hawaiian wrestling scene. He also won a Senior surfing championship! He's a big name in Oahu.

He also had a harrowing experience in the Pacific during WWII - http://starbulletin.com/2001/03/29/features/story1.html :shock:

Just another one of those things that I love about MPI -- many, many interesting "characters" have been involved in the show!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:(i) Lord James Blears as the ring announcer/referee
I had no idea until now, but this guy is a Pro Wrestling icon from the late '40s to the early '60s! "Lord Tally Ho", as he was called, tag teamed with Wrestling legend Gene Kiniski in the '50s. In the '60s and '70s he was an announcer and promoter for the local Hawaiian wrestling scene. He also won a Senior surfing championship! He's a big name in Oahu.

He also had a harrowing experience in the Pacific during WWII - http://starbulletin.com/2001/03/29/features/story1.html :shock:

Just another one of those things that I love about MPI -- many, many interesting "characters" have been involved in the show!
Wow, what a story. Lord James Blears can also be seen in "North Shore" (1987), my favorite surfing movie. He plays the director/organizer of the surfing contest and is seen in the movie welcoming the surfers and going over the contest rules with the surfers. Obviously the movie takes place in Hawaii. It features Gregory Harrison, Nia Peeples, Matt Adler, John Philbin and Gerry Lopez.

Even if surfing movies aren't your thing, you may want to check out the DVD as it has several bonus features which includes an enhanced version with the Director and Producer's commentary. It is very interesting and informative as they talk about filming techniques unique to shooting a surfing movie, sets, locations (Club Hubba Hubba often seen in MPI, i.e., China Doll, Thank Heaven For Little Girls & Big Ones Too...), the actors and their connections to Hawaii. The cinematography is very well done. During their commentary, they even reveal that Magnum P.I. advisors helped them with a fight scene and taught them how to fight on camera "Magnum P.I. Style", however, they had to tone it down a little as the two guys fighting were surfers and not ex-Navy Seals.

Even if you don't like surfing, I think you'll enjoy this DVD for the interesting information and splendor that is Hawaii. Oh yeah, as a bonus, there are a ton of flubs. :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:"North Shore" (1987), my favorite surfing movie
Well if LORD TALLY HO (my new hero) is in it, I gotta check it out! Adding it to my NetFlix queue, now. ;)

So, it's even better than "Endless Summer", huh?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:"North Shore" (1987), my favorite surfing movie
Well if LORD TALLY HO (my new hero) is in it, I gotta check it out! Adding it to my NetFlix queue, now. ;)

So, it's even better than "Endless Summer", huh?
Well, it's all a matter of taste, but be sure to check out the version with the Director's commentary too. I forgot to mention in my previous post that "North Shore" also features Laird Hamilton as the villain opposite of the surfing-protagonist played by Matt Adler. As you probably know, Laird Hamilton is the premier big wave surfer in the world. There are several other professional surfers in the movie as well, such as Shaun Tomson, Derek Ho and Mark Occhilupo.

If you like surfing be sure to check out "Riding Giants" if you haven't already done so. This is more of a documentary focusing on sufing pioneers from past to present, which also features Laird Hamilton as well as many others. It is very well done. If you like surfing, "Riding Giants" is a must see.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#11 Post by IslandHopper »

Additional flub for “Mr. White Death.”

Higgins tells Earl that he and Corky Bostwick were stationed at Gwangju (Kwangju) together. In this episode Higgins also says that Corky Bostwick took a terrible hit at Anzio (January 22, 1944 to May 24, 1944), and that he always wondered what became of Corky, and that he lost touch with Corky. Higgins’ History indicates that Higgins was in Gwangju (Kwangju) in 1945 and 1949. Therefore, Corky and Higgins could not have been stationed at Gwangju (Kwangju) together if the last time Higgins saw Corky was at Anzio in 1944.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

The guy who wrestles "Mr. White Death" at the beginning of the episode (Big Zongo) is a Samoan wrestler named Farmer Boy Ipo. Farmer Boy wrestled quite a bit in Hawaii in the 1980s. He was part of a tag team called "The Samoan Connection". His finishing move was "The Splash".

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/p ... y-ipo.html

Also, Magnum mentions the estate's hot tub again (see, "From Moscow to Maui"), and Higgins mentions the pool table. Both will never be seen. It's a shame they didn't work in a scene or two at the hot tub. "J. Digger Doyle" would have been perfect! :)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

Cool info. He was 6' 2" and 358 pounds. That's about my height but with two of me stuffed inside.

Remember a pool table is seen in Please Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1.1 3:01). So there is a pool table floating around in the Magnaverse, although it appears to be in the real Anderson Estate house, and I don't think is seen again.

I agree they should have had hot tub scenes, guess I'll have to make do with Austin Powers.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, yes. I forgot about the pool table that was seen in the Pilot Movie! And you are right, that is the inside of the real Anderson Estate main house.

AJL
Commander

#15 Post by AJL »

As a former wrestler and wrestling fan I can say that the wrestlign stuff in this episode is really silly. They didn't even bother to get the names for the moves just somewhat right, though I like that they hint that it's not "real", something that was a big no no back then, and could get you beat up. Still, I really like this episode for a number of other reasons and gave it a 8.5.
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me