Real Progress Report

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, the original cast hasn't seriously been considered for a theatrical release in a long, long time (since the 1990s). The only project that has had serious consideration for a theatrical release has been the Brian Grazer/Rawson Thurber project which was intended to be a reboot with a new cast.

The only hope for the original cast lies in the television movie realm.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Seaver41 »

and truth be told.........what is left for Selleck to prove on the small screen. All we would see is a much older Magnum, inevitably doomed to be comparedt o the more youthful character we remember.

I'm really torn these days on the issue. I think a large part of my resignation (from the idea of a reunion) comes from seeing that Las Vegas episode with Roger and Larry.......where they were reduced to playing cards. I can't get that imagery out of mind.

I think Father Time has won again.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

It would depend greatly on the screenwriter's imagination. Worst cases, a) they could hang the entire story on the inevitable younger stars (Lily, et al.), leaving Our Guys to play cards, or alternatively, b) they could simply write a normal Magnum episode, making no allowance for the passage of time, which would be ridiculous.

As with the ideas that we've been batting around on this Forum, the story needs to account for the past twenty-some years to a certain extent, and needs to give everyone (young and not-so-young) something meaningful to do. And most of all, it needs to be a genuine Magnum episode, not just some story that walked in off the street.
Carol

Bathurstfan
Commander

The Movie

#19 Post by Bathurstfan »

I agree the cast is getting old, I read Matthew McConaughey was proposed to play Magnum, he could pull it off. I think the important thing is the show is serious along the lines of the tv series, not a ruined like the Starsky and Hutch movie trashed the series. I had hoped a tv mini series tele movie with the original cast as a hand over/entree to the new movie to ahnd over to the 21st century cast. No insult meant to the original guys, i wish they made a movie every year or so after the tv series ended, but it did not happen, so lets hope for something now.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Movie

#20 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Bathurstfan wrote:I had hoped a tv mini series tele movie with the original cast as a hand over/entree to the new movie to hand over to the 21st century cast.
If I understand what you're saying, that idea had not occurred to me. I have been thinking it had to be an either/or.

But come to think of it, Magnum could easily have a son in his early twenties by now, and his name would also be Magnum. So both father (TS) and son (the new guy) could be in a transitional (tv?) movie, and then the son could be the new Magnum, PI (hopefully with occasional visits from Dad and his friends). Cool!
Carol

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#21 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I think there'd be a better chance of a small screen reunion show if Selleck weren't doing so well on other projects.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Steve »

Time is flying by and I am thinking that perhaps the only way an original cast, small screen reunion/story would be green lighted is to incorporate the cast into a two part Hawaii 5-0 episode. Of course Blue Bloods is getting in the way now but I think if they could somehow pull that off the ratings would be record breaking for both the new H 5-0 and create interest in a few MPI shows............

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Seaver41 »

strangely enough, the idea of a parody is about the only thing left that could sell. Think about it, Starsky and Hutch was 35-40 years ago on TV, yet they went with current stars and for fans of the show were the nods throughout the movie.

Fact of the matter is, Magnum is Selleck. This isn't Batman or Sherlock Holmes where the character is bigger than any actor..........the actor made the character and beyond that, a private investigator in Hawaii is not exactly an iconic superhero.

Point is you don't compete with the past, you pay homage to it. The Miami Vice movie didn't understand that.....they tried to plug in new actors to the same roles and it bombed.

The guy to play Magnum would be VINCE VAUGHN

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Coops »

Guys guys guys...I think you're looking at this all wrong. Or at least I think CBS is if that's what they're thinking, like you. Selleck has done nothing but good things for CBS; Magnum, Jesse Stone, Blue Bloods...if ANYTHING his recent TV successes should make CBS WANT to do a Magnum movie. Think about it. They're stupid if they don't. Talk about passing up a golden opportunity.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Seaver41 »

Selleck always refused the idea of small screen

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by No need to know! »

They are doing a new Dallas series next year with a mix of new actors and the old stars Hagman/Duffy. If it goes well, you never know. How old is Hagman? 82?
I still think they can do something with Magnum P.I and the old cast.
A totally new Magnum a la Hawaii five-o? No thanks not for me.
Onion´s extra?

Bathurstfan
Commander

#27 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hi Everyone

With so many fans like us, does anyone have any news of when they will finally make the Magnium P.I. movie? Personally I can not wait.

My preference would be a movie followed up by a new TV series like the current Hawaii Five O. Maybe history repeating itself if the current Hawaii Five O winds up, Magnum the next year or run them at the same time.

Oh well all the best and I would love good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bathurstfan
Commander

#28 Post by Bathurstfan »

Steve wrote:Time is flying by and I am thinking that perhaps the only way an original cast, small screen reunion/story would be green lighted is to incorporate the cast into a two part Hawaii 5-0 episode. Of course Blue Bloods is getting in the way now but I think if they could somehow pull that off the ratings would be record breaking for both the new H 5-0 and create interest in a few MPI shows............

The above is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Seaver41 »

the issue hasn't been about CBS.......it's the studio who owns the show. They were the roadblock when Tom Clancy and Selleck came up with a movie idea.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just saw the 21 Jump Street movie over the weekend and it reinforced to me the fact that any Magnum movie on the big screen will not feature the original cast in their original roles. 21 Jump Street was a parody in many ways but was actually a good modern movie as well. If they had to make a Magnum movie with a new cast and had sufficient nods to the original show including prominent and extended cameos (as Jump Street did) I could live with that.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.