Real Progress Report

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Bathurstfan
Commander

Real Progress Report

#1 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hey guys/girls

Does anyone have any substantial news of the movie, any idea when it will happen? What year?

All news of a movie has seemed to ahve dried up, does anyone know why?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Real Progress Report

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Bathurstfan wrote:Hey guys/girls

Does anyone have any substantial news of the movie, any idea when it will happen? What year?

All news of a movie has seemed to ahve dried up, does anyone know why?
It's dead dude. :cry:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Bathurstfan
Commander

?????

#3 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hey Styles

Thanks for your reply? What killed the movie? I can never seem to find any news so would appreciate knowing what you know.

Seems odd the New Hawaii Five O is so popular in Australia, I would imagine a Magnum PI movie would be a hit. It isa shame the cast did not doa tv movie every few years.

Bathurstfan
Commander

#4 Post by Bathurstfan »

Actually if anyone has good info on why news regarding a movie dried up I would love to know?

Styles Bitchley

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I don't think there's any "official" answer. It seems as thought Universal doesn't want the project. We've never seen a remake of an old TV show that features the original cast (Starsky & Hutch, The A-Team, Charlie's Angeles) on the big screen. Probably because it wouldn't get the sort of viewers needed to recoup the cost of production. My guess is that because Magnum is so closely connected to one actor/character - Tom Selleck/Tom Magnum - it's just to risky to think anyone would click in the way he did.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

The movie has not been "officially" killed... but it hasn't "officially" moved forward, either.

As far as I know Brian Grazer and Imagine Entertainment still own the rights for a theatrical release (a "reboot"), but nothing has been green-lighted yet. It's still in pre-production hell.

I'm still holding out for a small screen release with the original cast! They could conceivably do both - a reboot theatrical release with a new cast AND a made-for-tv "reunion" movie with the original cast. They could also reboot the series on television to tie in with the success of the new Hawaii Five-0. Or, nothing could happen at all! :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:They could also reboot the series on television to tie in with the success of the new Hawaii Five-0. Or, nothing could happen at all! :?
Funny. It seems Oahu can only handle one major television production at a time!

- J.Q.H.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

J.J. Walters wrote:I'm still holding out for a small screen release with the original cast!
Yeah, me too!

Ten or fifteen years ago, I read somewhere -- TV Guide? -- that They wanted to do a Magnum TV movie, but TS was holding out for a theatrical movie, and had a plot in mind, and a particular writer. I don't recall much of what little was said, but I think it had something to do with Ireland, and it didn't sound much like Magnum to me.

I think that was a real shame, partly because the stalemate apparently kept anything from being made at that time, but also because I think television is Magnum's natural habitat. Watching it in our living room gives it an intimacy that would be lacking in a theater, and I believe that the intimacy is part of what makes the show so likeable -- we can almost feel that we're part of The Gang.
Carol

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#9 Post by Pahonu »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:I'm still holding out for a small screen release with the original cast!
Yeah, me too!

Ten or fifteen years ago, I read somewhere -- TV Guide? -- that They wanted to do a Magnum TV movie, but TS was holding out for a theatrical movie, and had a plot in mind, and a particular writer. I don't recall much of what little was said, but I think it had something to do with Ireland, and it didn't sound much like Magnum to me.

I think that was a real shame, partly because the stalemate apparently kept anything from being made at that time, but also because I think television is Magnum's natural habitat. Watching it in our living room gives it an intimacy that would be lacking in a theater, and I believe that the intimacy is part of what makes the show so likeable -- we can almost feel that we're part of The Gang.
I remember reading that. Selleck wanted Tom Clancy to do the script, and he was apparently willing to do so. Then...

I also have a hard time picturing it on the big screen, especially with the original cast. It would just seem strange. Maybe a reboot like Hawaii Five-O with a new cast could work on the big screen, but I'm still skeptical. Just my two cents.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Pahonu wrote:Selleck wanted Tom Clancy to do the script, and he was apparently willing to do so.
Yes, I do believe that's what I read. (Maybe that's why I had it in the back of my head that Ireland was involved somehow.)
Carol

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I believe that is correct as well. I believe it was something to do with North Korea.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

That sounds about right. At any rate, it was something pretty grim-sounding, comparable to the series' Viet-Nam flashback episodes. I much prefer the stories with a judicious balance of light and dark.
Carol

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

Selleck/Clancy had the idea.........but the studio wouldn't relinquish rights so he could get it done.

I've now come to the self realization that nothing will happen while Selleck is still considered by some to be viable. You might say his popularity with the Jesse Stone movies and Blue Bloods series has killed Magnum. He's a tv guy..........just not a Hollywood A-lister that would bring in the kind of bank a studio is willing to gamble on. These actors are aging in dog years in the context of entertainment industry standards. Roger is a 72 yr old man..........Hillerman 80..............I mean, it's now just not adding up that it would be successful.

I can only see this working if Selleck is cast in a Tom Clancy type adventure that takes him away from his Hawaii buddies. I think they only have a chance if they are selling Selleck with a strong supporting cast and limited (cameos) from the old gang. When you boil it down to that, there just isn't going to be anyone willing to pony up the dough to do it.

I hate surrendering to common sense, but I'm afraid that is it. The outcry over someone other than Selleck being Magnum only served one purpose.........stalling the project. It was never gonna flip his way.

Styles Bitchley

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Seaver41 wrote:Selleck/Clancy had the idea.........but the studio wouldn't relinquish rights so he could get it done.

I've now come to the self realization that nothing will happen while Selleck is still considered by some to be viable. You might say his popularity with the Jesse Stone movies and Blue Bloods series has killed Magnum. He's a tv guy..........just not a Hollywood A-lister that would bring in the kind of bank a studio is willing to gamble on. These actors are aging in dog years in the context of entertainment industry standards. Roger is a 72 yr old man..........Hillerman 80..............I mean, it's now just not adding up that it would be successful.

I can only see this working if Selleck is cast in a Tom Clancy type adventure that takes him away from his Hawaii buddies. I think they only have a chance if they are selling Selleck with a strong supporting cast and limited (cameos) from the old gang. When you boil it down to that, there just isn't going to be anyone willing to pony up the dough to do it.

I hate surrendering to common sense, but I'm afraid that is it. The outcry over someone other than Selleck being Magnum only served one purpose.........stalling the project. It was never gonna flip his way.
I'd love to disagree with you...but I can't.

- J.Q.H.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Seaver41 wrote:... Selleck is ... a tv guy.....
... or at least Magnum is a natural tv property. If people (including TS) could simply agree on this, I think a perfectly wonderful tv movie could be done with the original cast. But they'd better hurry!
Carol