Mannix

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by AmandaByNight »

Little Garwood wrote:I have to wonder if those of us here of a certain age who watched Magnum were, say, ten years older, that this site might be called "Mannix-Mania. :wink:

Joe Mannix passed the great tradition of the American private investigator to Jim Rockford, who passed it on to Thomas Magnum.
Lol! That's very true.

I'm kind of a Mannix newbie. I have only seen a few episodes, but enjoy the show very much.

Has anyone seen a TV movie Mike made called Beg, Borrow or Steal, which is about three disabled guys pulling off a museum heist? it's excellent.

What I think is so interesting about Mannix is his secratary Peggy. You hardly ever hear anything about the actress, but she was one of the first black actresses to have a recurring part on television. I always thought she was such a trailblazer. I loved that their relationship just was, there was nothing political about it. It was so well done and fairly progressive for the time.

And how is it, I didn't remember this show was created by Levinson and Link, my two favorite TV guys! I need to really sit down and watch this series!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Little Garwood »

AmandaByNight wrote:I'm kind of a Mannix newbie. I have only seen a few episodes, but enjoy the show very much.

Has anyone seen a TV movie Mike made called Beg, Borrow or Steal, which is about three disabled guys pulling off a museum heist? it's excellent.

What I think is so interesting about Mannix is his secratary Peggy. You hardly ever hear anything about the actress, but she was one of the first black actresses to have a recurring part on television. I always thought she was such a trailblazer. I loved that their relationship just was, there was nothing political about it. It was so well done and fairly progressive for the time.

And how is it, I didn't remember this show was created by Levinson and Link, my two favorite TV guys! I need to really sit down and watch this series!
I've seen Beg, Borrow, and Steal in the excellent reference book, Movies Made for Television, but have yet to see it. Hopefully, someone like the Warner Archive will release it to dvd.

I have a huge crush on Gail Fisher! She had a lovely speaking voice and just carried herself in a such an attractive way. She's completely forgotten today. What a shame her career didn't continue after Mannix ended.

I was a bit young to watch Mannix during its original run, and didn't get to see my first episode until early 1985, when a local independent channel included Mannix in its late-night lineup.

As for the program itself, the first season is very, shall we say, "1960s America." Lots of smoking, drinking, etc. It's a bit stiff at times, but Mike Connors is of course brilliant, as is Joseph Campanella, who plays his boss in the "Intertect" investigating firm. That concept we be dumped after the first year. I still enjoy it, though.

The show is very much of the late '60s and early '70s, a time period I've had a lifelong fascination with. So a fanatic like me has a lot to enjoy. It's also good to see future stars, established character actors, and former Hollywood movie stars appear in Mannix.

The show has great, jazzy underscore, cool fashions, and some fun plot twists. Don't expect any Magnum PI silliness on Mannix, though the latter does get beat up a lot! The humor on Mannix is subtle and his interaction with Peggy is always a treat. Mike Connors (like Tom Selleck in Magnum) was born to play this role.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

Little Garwood wrote:

I have a huge crush on Gail Fisher! She had a lovely speaking voice and just carried herself in a such an attractive way. She's completely forgotten today. What a shame her career didn't continue after Mannix ended.
I had a crush on Gail Fisher as well and loved the Peggy character. Ms. Fisher and Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhuru) were groundbreaking actresses at the time and, looked incredible in short skirts (an added bonus for us young teenagers going thru puberty). I was born in 1954 so I watched Mannix in it's original run and agee it was a well written, well acted series............

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by AmandaByNight »

Little Garwood wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I'm kind of a Mannix newbie. I have only seen a few episodes, but enjoy the show very much.

I've seen Beg, Borrow, and Steal in the excellent reference book, Movies Made for Television, but have yet to see it. Hopefully, someone like the Warner Archive will release it to dvd.

I was a bit young to watch Mannix during its original run, and didn't get to see my first episode until early 1985, when a local independent channel included Mannix in its late-night lineup.

As for the program itself, the first season is very, shall we say, "1960s America." Lots of smoking, drinking, etc. It's a bit stiff at times, but Mike Connors is of course brilliant, as is Joseph Campanella, who plays his boss in the "Intertect" investigating firm. That concept we be dumped after the first year. I still enjoy it, though.

The show is very much of the late '60s and early '70s, a time period I've had a lifelong fascination with. So a fanatic like me has a lot to enjoy. It's also good to see future stars, established character actors, and former Hollywood movie stars appear in Mannix.

The show has great, jazzy underscore, cool fashions, and some fun plot twists. Don't expect any Magnum PI silliness on Mannix, though the latter does get beat up a lot! The humor on Mannix is subtle and his interaction with Peggy is always a treat. Mike Connors (like Tom Selleck in Magnum) was born to play this role.
That Movies Made for Television book is my bible. It's really the only reference guide I like to use for my tv movie writing.

I love the 60s and 70s as well. It's so interesting, and for me, a little depressing to see how much has changed. The smoking thing I can deal with, but I love the way everyone looked. And I agree, Mike Connors is quite brilliant. He's such a likable presence.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Little Garwood »

I'm a follower of your blog (C.K. Dexter Haven). I like very much what you write and how you write it!

The edition I have of Movies Made for Television is an early edition--but it doesn't list the network that aired the movie. A small gripe, but I like to know such things.

I'm in a big "M" mood lately with my favorite TV shows: Magnum, Mannix, McGarrett, and Mission: Impossible!

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Little Garwood »

Seeing as I've really fallen hard for this show, I've thought about doing a season-by-season, episode-by-episode review of Mannix. Several other programs like Five-O and MPI (duh!) have dedicated sites that go over every scrap of info and backstory they can glean from those shows. I'd like to do the same for Mannix. Much of the fan support from the early days of the internet has seemingly vanished, which is odd since Mannix is now on DVD. Given my up-and-down nature, any kind of Mannix project would be a long time in the making, but it's something I'd like to try.

James, I know you've expressed some interest in Mannix before, but have you gotten around to watching it yet?

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Unfortunately, no! But now that I've finally quit smoking maybe I'll have enough spare change to buy the DVDs! ;)

Hopefully all the smoking in Mannix won't make me smoke again!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:Unfortunately, no! But now that I've finally quit smoking maybe I'll have enough spare change to buy the DVDs! ;)

Hopefully all the smoking in Mannix won't make me smoke again!
James, didn't the ending of Murder by Night teach you that smoking was bad? Don't know why they even bothered with that, seeing as TM smoked cigars like they cured Cancer instead of caused it! :)

Joe Mannix not only smokes--especially during the first three seasons--but he talks with an unlit coffin nail bouncing around his yap that's positively riveting.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Little Garwood »

Mannix star Mike Connors to sue CBS/Paramount:

'Mannix' Actor Wants to See the Books
By NESTOR F. SEBASTIAN

(CN) - Mike Connors, who starred in the 1960s drama series "Mannix," is suing Paramount Pictures and CBS Telelvision Studios, saying he is owed a piece of the show's profits as well as royalties for the contemporary use his likeness and name.

Connors, born Krekor Ohanian, claims he originally signed a contract for the series in 1966 that covered his first four seasons on the Desilu-produced show. It specifically granted the actor 10 percent of net profits and 10 percent in gross proceeds to use his image, subject to a 50 percent fee, according to the complaint in Los Angeles Superior Court.

An amendment to this contract in 1971 pushed Connors' share of the show's net profits up to 20 percent for the fifth through eighth seasons, he says.

Because Paramount Pictures and CBS Television Studios charged excessive and improper costs, however, and did not timely apply gross receipts, interest grew uncontrollably, Connors claims. Ultimately the studios only reported 20 percent of the gross receipts of DVD sales, according to the complaint.

Connors also says the studios sent him accounting statements that showed their increasing losses to justify not paying him and eventually stopped providing him with said statements until his accountant stepped in to request delivery.

After promising to submit their paperwork to Connors' accountant on a semiannual basis, the studios lapsed in their responsibilities, yet again, the 85-year-old Los Angelino says.

Though the cumulative net loss for the show following its final season in 1975 was $5.1 million, that figure stretches to more than $9 million today, even though it has brought in "significant revenue from syndication and other revenue-generating sources," the complaint also states.

Cumulative interest charged by the studios has ballooned to over $14 million from $2 million in 1975, according to the suit.

Connors says he does not know the precise amount he is owed because those monies can only be determined by an accounting of Paramount's books and records.

"Notwithstanding all of the hard work, time and effort put into the series, Mr. Connors has never received any profits on 'Mannix' in the ordinary course of participation accounting," according to the complaint. "Indeed, even as the series continues to generate revenue to this day from exploitation and DVD sales, it sinks deeper and deeper into debt."

The show, for which Connors received a Golden Globe Award in 1970 along with four Emmy nominations, starred Connors as private detective Joe Mannix and has been syndicated worldwide. The studios plan to release its fifth season on DVD in July and the remaining seasons thereafter.

Connors sued Paramount and CBS, seeking restitution, disgorgement and punitive damages, alleging fraud, breach of contract and unfair business practices. He is represented by Neville Johnson with Johnson & Johnson of Beverly Hills.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/05/20/36717.htm

~Tom Selleck

bransonch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Selleck on Mannix season 8.22

#25 Post by bransonch »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Tom Selleck has a role on Mannix - 1975's season 8 (according to IMDB)....that gives me even more to look forward to when it is released!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Little Garwood »

bransonch wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Tom Selleck has a role on Mannix - 1975's season 8 (according to IMDB)....that gives me even more to look forward to when it is released!
You shouldn't be too surprised, as Mannix S8 hasn't been seen in the United States since its original 1974-75 airing!

I've only bought up to season five, but six is out and S7 is due in July. We'll have Tom's appearance--"Design for Dying"-- in S8 before you know it! :)

I've grown to love this show, and I'll even repeat what I've posted in this thread:
Little Garwood wrote:I have to wonder if those of us here of a certain age who watched Magnum were, say, ten years older, that this site might be called "Mannix-Mania." :wink:

Joe Mannix passed the great tradition of the American private investigator to Jim Rockford, who passed it on to Thomas Magnum.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Little Garwood »

Guess who showed up in the sixth season of Mannix?

John Hillerman as not-so-nice-guy Larry Lawton in Light and Shadow, which aired December 17, 1972. He has a relatively small part, but he does get to verbally abuse Joe Mannix.

Hillerman has two more appearances on Mannix, seasons seven and eight. I have seven on the way and eight is due to be released in December.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Little Garwood »

John Hillerman--sans mustache-- returned to Mannix the very next season, playing the villainous J.H. Morrell in Silent Target, which originally aired on October 28, 1973. The future Higgy Baby uses his Texas drawl to good effect as he terrorizes Thomas Magnum's spiritual father, the dependable, beat-upable, and un-insurable Joe Mannix. The cast also includes Frank Langella and Barbara Luna.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Little Garwood »

Guess who ELSE shows up in the seventh season of Mannix?

That's right, Larry Manetti in a small role--he has two lines of dialogue--as a resistance fighter in Race Against Time, Part II, which is sort of a Mannix-Meets-Mission: Impossible adventure. Magnum, P.I. guest star Ina Balin (S2's Dead Man's Channel) also appears in this episode.

So of the four main actors in MPI, only Roger E. Mosley does not have Mannix credentials. I await the grand Mannix-Magnum finale, the eighth-season episode, Design for Dying which guest starred Tom Selleck. It is a glorious things indeed to think that Selleck rubbed elbows wth BOTH Joe Mannix and Jim Rockford before becoming a private investigator legend himself.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Little Garwood »

Today is the release date for Mannix, season eight! Tom Selleck is a guest star in Design for Dying. I'll post screen caps once my DVDs arrive, not that anyone has commented on the other MPI guest star pics here. :(

~Tom Selleck