6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 106

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

zebra3 wrote:Just watched the episode, what is up with that ending. Magnum wraps up the Irish story with a couple sentences at the airport, and then the boxers wife gets thrown off a lighthouse? At first I thought they might continue in season 4, ep. 1, but now I realize, that was it. I think they were going for shock and humor. "Something interesting always happens on Thomas' cases."
Yeah, ya gotta love Season Three. It opens with a shocking ending ("Did You See the Sunrise?") and ends with one! This is when the show really laid down the idea that anything can and will happen in the "Magnu-verse"!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by zebra3 »

yeah I gotta admit 3 was great, about to see 2 (yes out of order, 3 was on sale first) and if I had known how great "Did you see the sunrise" was, I wouldn't have watched it late at night. I just put it on cuz I was bored and didn't know it was 2 hours....

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by charybdis1966 »

gmt16750 wrote:Excuse the dumb question but can't find the answer: what does Begorrah mean?
As far as I can recall "Begorrah" is used in the phrase "Gosh Begorrah" being an expression of amazement, rather like Chief O'Hara would use in the Batman series of the 1960s.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by steveadl »

Watched this episode again last night. Reminded me of the first time I watched it - I definitely thought the story line involving the woman being thrown off the lighthouse at the end was going to be continued in the next season.

Emperador Chabe
Ensign

#35 Post by Emperador Chabe »

Last edited by Emperador Chabe on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by Lt Tanaka »

charybdis1966 wrote:
gmt16750 wrote:Excuse the dumb question but can't find the answer: what does Begorrah mean?
As far as I can recall "Begorrah" is used in the phrase "Gosh Begorrah" being an expression of amazement, rather like Chief O'Hara would use in the Batman series of the 1960s.
Just to clarify further. "Begorrah" is "stage Irish". There is no such word in the Irish language nor is it or has it ever been used by Irish people.

Its use even in Hollywood has pretty much been discontinued in this more PC age.

Stage Irish dates to the 17th century in England.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#37 Post by miltontheripper »

Classic episode, one of the funniest in my opinion. The Low Surf beach bar is hilarious!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Want to know my favorite part of this episode? The very end...when the boxer's wife is suddenly thrown off the lighthouse cliff, and that's it! :o

This is totally unexpected, not really part of the main storyline, and very "Miami Vice-ish". :wink: "MV" was known for very "blunt" and almost "hanging" but shocking endings. This "Magnum" episode used that style perfectly! You were not expecting the woman to just suddenly be thrown over the side...and then Rick's surprised look, then the credits. That was awesome...I liked to be surprised sometimes...and hey, something interesting always happens in Thomas' cases! :)

As for the rest of the episode...not really one of my favorites, but it was okay I guess. I never really was a huge fan of Higgins' supposed half-relatives. From Elmo Ziller to Father Paddy McGuinness...they're just a little too goofy and over-the-top for me. But, I think that was the point. Some people love the silly humor...others don't really care for it. For a show like "Magnum", I don't really care for it. :?

However, I can take Father McGuinness over Elmo...the "hick", hill-billy thing is really not me, and it irritates the heck out of me! :x I did somewhat enjoy Father Paddy's "jabbing" humor towards the Brigadier, and the nasty habit of picking out other people's half-smoked cigarettes instead of getting a full one of his own. :lol:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Little Garwood »

MaiTaiMan wrote:This is totally unexpected, not really part of the main storyline, and very "Miami Vice-ish". :wink: "MV" was known for very "blunt" and almost "hanging" but shocking endings. This "Magnum" episode used that style perfectly! You were not expecting the woman to just suddenly be thrown over the side...and then Rick's surprised look, then the credits. That was awesome...I liked to be surprised sometimes...and hey, something interesting always happens in Thomas' cases! :)
The original Hawaii Five-O had "downbeat" endings..a lot of them! Season three alone had "Trouble in Mind"; "To Kill or Be Killed"; and "Beautiful Screamer." Hugely depressing, in fact. :( :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Little Garwood wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:This is totally unexpected, not really part of the main storyline, and very "Miami Vice-ish". :wink: "MV" was known for very "blunt" and almost "hanging" but shocking endings. This "Magnum" episode used that style perfectly! You were not expecting the woman to just suddenly be thrown over the side...and then Rick's surprised look, then the credits. That was awesome...I liked to be surprised sometimes...and hey, something interesting always happens in Thomas' cases! :)
The original Hawaii Five-O had "downbeat" endings..a lot of them! Season three alone had "Trouble in Mind"; "To Kill or Be Killed"; and "Beautiful Screamer." Hugely depressing, in fact. :( :wink:
Actually the original "Hawaii Five-0" did not have that many depressing or "downbeat" endings. :shock: Most episodes ended with McGarrett and Danno getting the bad guys and an ironic one-liner from McGarrett before the credits rolled. :)

Now, there were a few more depressing endings--a few with the episodes you listed. There were also the episodes that delt with Wo Fat, where he would somehow always get away in the end. But, that wasn't really sad or depressing...that just let you know that somewhere down the road Wo Fat and McGarrett would be up against each other again. :wink:

"Beautiful Screamer" is one of my favorite episodes...because it was so much more "personal" (with Danno) than the usual episode. Most episodes focused more on the action and police procedure than the personal lives of the main characters.

However, no show can really surpass "Miami Vice" as having the most shocking or "blunt-in-your-face" endings. It was just something totally different and new...and it was captivating at the time. Actually, though, I still find it captivating today...as most present shows still have some kind of "closure" scenes.

The more shocking, "blunt", ending to this "Magnum" episode reminds me of this style, and that's why it's my favorite aspect to the episode (even though the rest of the episode was not really that wonderful)...it was shocking and not expected. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#41 Post by Pahonu »

I agree that most shows, including new ones, don't have the kind of endings that Miami Vice used so effectively. Many episodes completely lacked a denoument of any sort. This is what is most memorable, I think, rather than just being downbeat. Lots of shows end with things not being neatly and positively wrapped up, but Vice often ended right at the climax, then nothing. Bam! It was over. Even this Magnum episode wrapped up the story line at the airport and the subplot became the shocking ending. I have to admit, as powerful as these type of endings can be, there were a few Vice episodes where it was too abrupt. Human nature being what it is, we seem to like like closure.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Actually the original "Hawaii Five-0" did not have that many depressing or "downbeat" endings. :shock: Most episodes ended with McGarrett and Danno getting the bad guys and an ironic one-liner from McGarrett before the credits rolled. :)
You need to watch the show again, because your memory has betrayed you. :wink:

Downbeat endings just off the top of my (pointy) head:

Strangers in Our Own Land
No Blue Skies
Three Dead Cows at Makapuu

Trouble in Mind
Beautiful Screamer
To Kill or Be Killed

And I Want Some Candy and a Gun That Shoots
Skinhead
Cloth of Gold
R&R&R (these from season four)

Engaged to Be Buried

Draw Me a Killer
One Big Happy Family
Death With Father
Nightmare in Blue (these from season six)

I'll Kill 'Em Again

The Bells Toll at Noon

And that's just up to season nine.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Little Garwood wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:Actually the original "Hawaii Five-0" did not have that many depressing or "downbeat" endings. :shock: Most episodes ended with McGarrett and Danno getting the bad guys and an ironic one-liner from McGarrett before the credits rolled. :)
You need to watch the show again, because your memory has betrayed you. :wink:

Downbeat endings just off the top of my (pointy) head:

Strangers in Our Own Land
No Blue Skies
Three Dead Cows at Makapuu

Trouble in Mind
Beautiful Screamer
To Kill or Be Killed

And I Want Some Candy and a Gun That Shoots
Skinhead
Cloth of Gold
R&R&R (these from season four)

Engaged to Be Buried

Draw Me a Killer
One Big Happy Family
Death With Father
Nightmare in Blue (these from season six)

I'll Kill 'Em Again

The Bells Toll at Noon

And that's just up to season nine.
My memory has not betrayed me at all! I have a very good memory. :wink:

I am an avid, huge fan of this show and have seen every single episode--as I purchased a complete series homemade set several years ago, back when originally CBS claimed they did not plan to release "5-0" to DVD because there were so many seasons. However, as we all know, thank God they did eventually start releasing them! Subsequently I also have the first 10 seasons on official DVD's...and am anxiously awaiting the last two seasons, 11 and 12.

I guess it depends on what you consider a downbeat or depressing ending?? Out of all 281 episodes, the ones you listed are not really that many. Also, a few of them I don't really consider that depressing or sad. :shock: Some were possibly more violent than others...or delt with more bizarre or serious situations than other episodes.

Now...you have to remember that "Hawaii Five-0" was one of the first cop shows that tried to be more realistic and serious...so a lot of the plotlines and episodes were more serious than other cop shows of the time. Some ended with violence, true. But not that many were that sad or downbeat. Usually, the ones killed or arrested were the bad guys...and if they were arrested McGarrett always stated his famous line of "Book 'em, Danno!", or if they were killed in a shootout or something, then usually McGarrett had a "wise" or ironic line of somekind before the credits rolled.

There were some along the way, that were more downbeat than others...but overall (12 seasons: 1968-1980)/281 episodes) "Hawaii Five-0" was not a "dark", depressing, or sad crime show...much like the present day crime shows like the "CSI's", "Criminal Minds", the "Law & Orders", etc... All of those are almost always sad, depressing, and downbeat! :? :(

"Hawaii Five-0" was an awesome, action-packed, cop drama set against the beautiful tropical landscape of Hawaii, had cool cars, and one of the most superb theme songs in TV show history!! :)

Doc Fred
Admiral

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

John Hillerman showed his great acting ability in this episode... truly wonderful.

Three cheers for Father Paddy, a true man of the cloth.

This is one of my three favorite Magnums.... wonderful from start to finish.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Seaver41 »

the season was sputtering to a close, but this was a nice finish with a WTF final scene....sort of a nice synopsis to Magnum's adventures and a harsh reminder that isn't always funa and games. Loved that dummy sailing over the cliff.

on a personal note, on my visit to Hawaii......I took a picture of that lighthouse and had it blown up for my home afterwards. It was nice to see it.

not a great memory of this episode...but it is fun.