6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 144

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#46 Post by J.J. Walters »

timm525 wrote:I too thought Lee Majors was about to leap out at the end with the "bionic" sound effects. BTW, what the heck is Universal's problem with putting that show out on region 1 on DVD???????? That is one of my favorite shows too and I am totally disgusted that they have not put it out on DVD! :x
They apparently had copyright issues regarding the original novel. But good news! It appears that all 5 seasons, including the movies and crossovers, will be released on DVD for Region 1 in November! That's right. EVERYTHING all at once!
The Six Million Dollar Man on DVD in Region 1 for the very first time in November 2010. The 40-disc set will feature all 100 episodes of the series as well as the 3 pilot films and the 3 reunion TV-movies which also feature The Bionic Woman. In addition, the set will feature extensive bonus features including interviews and featurettes, and will be encased in collectible packaging.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Six-Mi ... ries/14119

Oh, man! I want this set! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#47 Post by timm525 »

Wow! That is great news.

Looks like November will be a great month. {insert political joke here :oops: }

I will be very happy to see that show finally released!

Thanks for the info! It has been a very long time coming.

BTW, did you ever read Martin Caidin's original novel? Quite a bit different than the show.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Magnum T. »

Ok, after the pilot here we go with the first regular episode of the series.
We start with the (cool) Ian Freebairn-Smith theme.
I like the background music of these first episodes very much.
This time no Cross of Lorraine, only the video, as it will be for the rest of the series.
In this first adventure Mr. Macho Mustacho is hired by a pretty Chinese antiquarian to protect an ancient and precious vase.
What our private eye... ehm investigator doesn't know is that a deadly martial arts skilled Tong wants that vase too, at every cost.

I think this first one is a very good episode, the story has a good pace and all the cast members deliver a good performance.
Just one thing bothers me, the way the Tong screws things up at the end.
Work the guy don't look at the d... helicopter!
Anyway, we have pretty entertaining sequences like Higgins in his "pajamas" doing that sort of martial art training (or whatever he is doing),
hears the Ferrari but holds his lads up to the right moment.
It maks me laugh all the times.
Another hilarious gag is Magnum opening (or just pretending to have opened) Higgins' safe.
Like in the pilot, we have the so-called "breaking of the fourth wall" which will become one of the trademarks of the series.
Funny that another of Magnum's trademarks, baseball hats, does not appear in the pilot (as far as I remember we see T.C. wearing the Da Nang hat but no hats for TM).
Here we see Magnum with the famous "Tigers" hat for the first time.
Another "icon" of the Magnuverse, the red "Jungle Bird" shirt, is seen here too for the first time, together with his Ray-Ban Shooters.
Other differences with the pilot are the character of Rick (not the Bogart-dress-alike owner of "Rick's Cafè Americain" anymore, but the manager of the exclusive "King Kamehameha Club") and the license plate on the Ferrari (in the pilot 56E-478, from now on the less anonymous "Robin 1").

Plus: the very interesting blonde girl in orange bikini who takes a shower while Magnum waits for the Tong's phone call.
Minus:
- Rick's "hot-dog" shirt.
- in the helicopter dialogue sequences between TM and T.C. it is clear that they are not moving.
Best line:
Higgins: That combination will be changed in the morning. How did you get it?
Magnum: By watching you open the safe.
Higgins: When?
Magnum: Just now, Higgins. Just now.

Notes:
- in the pilot Magnum wears the team ring on his right hand, in this episode he has it on his left hand.
- again, there are actors which will appear in different roles in the future:
Lee de Broux in two other episodes: "The Arrow That Is Not Aimed" (3.14) and "Old Acquaintance" (6.3), Yankee Chang in three other episodes: "Memories Are Forever" (2.5/2.6), "Letter to a Duchess" (4.6) and "Straight and Narrow" (7.4) and George Cheung in two other episodes: "Holmes Is Where The Heart Is" (4.18) and "The Love-for-Sale Boat" (5.17).

Funny thing: the famous "Six Million Dollar Man" sound effect can be heard during the climax of the episode, although it seems out of sync.
The same for background music in several sequences.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is one of the best and most superb episodes, not only in first season, but of the whole series too!! :D

The plot, acting, action, suspense, cinematography, etc...captivates and intrigues you throughout the whole episode! But, I usually like hit-man, stalker, psycho-killer episodes of cop/crime/mystery shows.

I love the ending...where the assassin blinks, then the screen goes black right as we hear Magnum's gun. Now days they'd show the dude's head exploding and we'd see some brains and blood everywhere...but back then they didn't do that. I miss those days...even though I do like "CSI", I don't always have to see the guts-n-gore to get the point across! To me, "China Doll" was a more intelligent and "mature" way to do it.

Since this is one of my favorites, I rated it a 10. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#50 Post by N1095A »

Just noticed, TM wears the team ring on his left hand in this episode. Not sure if this is the only time, but I know in later episodes he wears it on his right.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MaiTaiMan »

N1095A wrote:Just noticed, TM wears the team ring on his left hand in this episode. Not sure if this is the only time, but I know in later episodes he wears it on his right.
Yeah, there are a few episodes where Magnum switches the ring from hand to hand, for some reason. The left hand is for marriage...while the right is for other rings. So, don't know why he did this?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by Majordomo »

If I am not mistaken, this is the first episode where Higgins breaks the fourth wall.

I also have a question and I do not know if it is ever really revealed, but is Cousin Ho (who is initially referred to as "Uncle Ho") actually Uncle Hahn's son? My assumption is yes, but I never actually caught an allusion to this.

Also, screenshot of the shower babe on the beach!

:shock:

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Incredibly long hair... noticed that with envy when I first saw that! :lol:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Magnum T. »

Hair are not the only "incredible" thing she has. :shock:
She has a gorgeous orange bikini, to name one. :lol:
Wonder what her name is.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Magnum T. wrote:Hair are not the only "incredible" thing she has. :shock:
She has a gorgeous orange bikini, to name one. :lol:
Wonder what her name is.
Exactly...nice...everything!! :wink: Wonder where she is today, and if she watches this episode with grandkids and goes--that's me! when the scene plays. :P

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Men obviously notice different things :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#57 Post by J.J. Walters »

The lady showering on the beach is actually from the 1979 TV movie The Chinese Typewriter, starring Tom Selleck and James Whitmore Jr. It was used again in Season Four's "Limited Engagement". Beautiful, just beautiful!

I believe our old friend golfmobile spotted this when watching the movie.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Magnum T. »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Men obviously notice different things :lol:
But I DID notice her hair too!
I absolutely adore long straight blonde hair!
Only I happened to notice a few other... "interesting features" of hers.
J.J. Walters wrote:The lady showering on the beach is actually from the 1979 TV movie The Chinese Typewriter, starring Tom Selleck and James Whitmore Jr. It was used again in Season Four's "Limited Engagement". Beautiful, just beautiful!

I believe our old friend golfmobile spotted this when watching the movie.
Really?
Gotta keep my eyes peeled to spot her then.

Edit: the "shower girl" is on screen for a few seconds in episode 1.9 "Missing in Action".
Last edited by Magnum T. on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Men obviously notice different things :lol:
I noticed it "all"!! :wink: Hair, bikini, shape, "features", etc... :lol:

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Fun to see the interior of Club Hubba Hubba again. For some more extended shots about that time watch the awful "North Shore" surf flick. Magnum and China doll walk by "Food for life health food store" three times in 30 seconds!
What color glaze? Blood red. Oh. What a bloody shame. - wow. Higgy baby just broke the 4th wall. - We have plenty of china dolls here like this and better. I probably fall in love with one or another once a day in line at the Safeway register. - I love how magnum commands rick to give TC anything he wants. as if only he decides or can afford... or as if magnum is connected to TC and rick ain't. Didn't much care for the beach scene. too many banana hammocks. The pedicabs seen were popular in the 70's and 80's but fell out of favor by politicians and waikiki developers. And the pedicabs were never seen in Chinatown or Hotel street as we see in the beginning. Magnum pronounces it as "Right were she let him away from. Koo Wuyyy." Magnums stunt double has a much fuller 'fro head of hair than Tom. - Look at the safe. Sooooo easily breached; the hinges with pins are exposed. Just take a framing hammer. One chisel. Upwards stroke twice. Voila. In and out. Those Paradise Found brand aloha shirts soared in popularity when magnum was running. One is in the smithsonian as the Magnum shirt. But that's probably old news to everyone here...