Reply from Larry Manetti

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#31 Post by IslandHopper »

Carmen wrote:Now where is my black cashmere sweater?? 8)
It still out for repairs. Magnum still hasn't paid for it yet.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Carmen
MPI

#32 Post by Carmen »

:cry: it came sooo serious when he said he`d pay for it...

Anyway, scripts can be altered - maybe we`d write a good one and send it to them. Any ideas??
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#33 Post by arri »

Here's the thing. If they use the original cast, it will be less action based and more story oriented. "Raiders of Lost Ark" was a debacle. Harrison looked too tired. Magnum is not going to score hot girls in Bikini's. An interesting take would have the setting, now, and develop the more Character study on the series. I'd go see that but my kids wouldn't.

Now, if you did an 80's movie with mulletts, high hair, eye shadow, and short shorts. Using modern actors, it would appeal to a broader demographic. My kids would watch Matthew McConaghy and Jennifer Aniston heat it up 80's style

Unfortunately, movies is big business and the later genre will prevail

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#34 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Well, I bet every Magnum fan on the forum will wanna petition for this!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Coops »

The solution is simple, Jesse Stone style.

Made for tv movie using original cast members. Cheaper to produce and more true to the original series. If Universal can't see that, and it looks like they don't, they should just let the series rest in piece.

I'd prefer a older, more mature Magnum in a made for tv movie that focuses on getting older and what life brings to each and every one of us as we do age. Magnum went back into the navy...then what? What a truly interesting thing to think about.

He, Magnum, should have been on old SEAL team member of A.J. Chegwidden. THAT would have been an awesome episode of JAG.

sgeorge007
Ensign

Re: Reply from Larry Manetti

#36 Post by sgeorge007 »

Hi all,

I'm a new forum member but have been an active user on the mm website for many years, thank you J.J.

I know what your thinking... just like me, you've thought and thought and thought how, when or if we will ever see a MPI Movie...? There an obvious fan base, Tom Selleck & crew/cast expressions of interest, media speculation/celebrity interest so, what's the problem...? And with all of Hollywood's recent movie 'rehash' releases, I can not think of any reasonable excuse as to why a MPI movie is not in the pipeline. If; Miami Vice, The A-Team, The Smurfs, The Muppets, 21 Jump Street, Mission Impossible, The Addams Family movie adaptations have shown us anything, there's a movie going audience out there.

I am however a traditionalist, I would like to see the original cast be cast in their original roles and revive the characters we have enjoyed and loved for over three decades. My major concern, what if no MPI movie is/was to be produced in the next 5-10 years? What would happen? We would, unfortunately have a real possibility of loosing some very cherished and talented actors who (excuse me for saying) are now in their twilight years (TS: 70, REM: 76, LM: 71, JH: 82). Is this the studios motive? Is there a hidden agenda here? To cast a younger cast? No, thank you! Acting doesn't have an age limit, in fact an actors skills develop and flourish with age. I do not wish to see an unknown or known actor(s) for that matter trying to bring back to life characters that we all know can only be made true and honest by the original cast. I think we can all agree there has been enough time pass.

With hunger and interest for a MPI movie at a constant high when will the fans voice be heard?

Taking a leaf from Larry Manetti's response, if you're a fan of MPI like me maybe you can express your interest with the powers at be (Mr. Brian Grazer, Chairman, Imagine Entertainment), contact details below;

Mr. Brian Grazer
Twitter @BrianGrazer
Email B.Grazer@IMAGINE-ENTERTAINMENT.COM

Right, time to open an old dusseldorf, thank you and I look forward to reading any response or feedback! ; )

Regards,
Scott

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by 308GUY »

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2642

I agree with most all of your points.

The "prime" time to do it has actually come and gone already, but that's not to say it can't still happen close to the way you've presented here.

Most of the people here, from my observation, would love to see it happen, as well as the original cast.

It might be a matter of money, but those in a position to do it, have to see, at least, the potential for huge earnings, but maybe aren't totally convinced yet.

Way beyond my understanding how these things "work" in the entertainment world. Just seems like it's long overdue, and would be welcomed by fans all over the world.

Many threads about it here on the forum. Maybe you've seen the one I linked to above, don't know what happened with the project, but haven't heard anymore about it.

You may get a few responses that say it's too late to use the original cast in any capacity, and I'm not sure I would completely disagree, but I think the majority will agree with your bottom line and cast a vote for not understanding why it's not happened yet.

Enough rambling for the time being. It might take Selleck or Manetti or all of the original cast + Bellisario putting up the money to make it happen, or maybe whoever it was that bought the Anderson estate! 8)

Even though you say you've been lurking for some time, welcome aboard from another relative "newbie". :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Toms mustache
Ensign

#38 Post by Toms mustache »

Sure would be great if it happened but i think its too late now with higgins passing RIP

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by 308GUY »

Toms mustache wrote:Sure would be great if it happened but i think its too late now with higgins passing RIP
Sad...for sure...heartbreaking for a lot of us...BUT it could be the catalyst that makes it happen.

Everybody gathers at the estate (CGG can bring back just about anything...but a building is easy!) for JQH's service...somebody none of them recognise shows up at the graveside, during the final ceremony and gives off the vibes that they are "up to something"...could be man or woman. TM's curiosity is aroused and he starts "investigating".

The stranger turns out to be somebody from MI6 and the story can go any number of different ways from there.

Any screenwriters here? :wink:

TS is still doing BB and Jesse Stone...he stays pretty active in the Stone series...obviously, LM is somewhat incapacitated, and REM is doing guest spots on the mimi mag show already....should we start a "petition"? :lol: 8) :magnum:

Food for thought...or desert for a daydream.....still COULD happen! As always, JMHO. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Laohu »

Larry still has on his website in upcoming appearances “ look for me in season 2 of Magnum PI “ . Who knows we could get a mini reunion with REM and LM