4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 69

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Forever in Time (8.5)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Forever in Time (8.5). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/11/1987
While helping Higgins with a Hawaiian Historical Society pageant, Magnum becomes infatuated with a beautiful young woman.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#2 Post by golfmobile »

I was watching this one today (taped from WGN sometime ago), and after having watched the first three seasons on Sleuth so many times over the last few months, I found it very interesting to see that, when Magnum breaks into the house where the Hawaiian princess had lived (with Rick as his perennial look-out outside, overacting as usual), he's breaking into the house that was the residence of Lisa Page/Sara Clifford in "The Woman on the Beach"!! It's quite obvious, because I found the Page/Clifford house to be so distinctively memorable with its wrought-iron flower decoration on the sliding glass entrance doors of that house. Watch for it when Season 8 ever comes out.

I guess on Oahu, after eight years, they became somewhat limited as to sets!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sam »

Hi Golf

I believe the house was used in 3 episodes.
Season one...Skin Deep

Season two...Woman on the Beach and season eight in this episode.

I'm new to this site and haven't figured out how to posts pictures..

If you go here...

http://rolandmans.com/Magum%20Files/index.htm

You can see the screen captures from "Skin Deep" and "Woman on the Beach"

[/list][/url]

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, great spot there. It sure looks like the same house! I've updated the episode guide.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

dick butkus
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by dick butkus »

I think this episode was very good, exciting and interseting. I don't understand those who rate it low. It is not among the best, but better than average according to me.
I like the way he sees the princess on tha painting/photo in that woman.

eeyore
Admiral

#6 Post by eeyore »

On the Season 8 DVD, I wonder if there was a scene missing? Didn't Magnum confirm with his mother over the phone that he indeed had an ancestor that could have been the NavyLt in the picture?
There was anothe DVD in a prior scene that had a scene deleted between Lt Tanaka and the French Investigator at the police station. I wonder why this happens?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

eeyore, Magnum never talked to his mom about his family tree. I don't think they cut anything for the DVD.

I really enjoyed this episode. It's a lot better than I remember it. I love it when the show explores traditional Hawaiian culture and heritage. Great plot, great script, good execution.

What a beautiful song and Hawaiian dance at the beginning. The song is "He Pua Wehiwa" by local Hawaiian singer/songwriter/musician Palani Vaughan. He also does the singing and autoharp playing in the scene.

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/He_Pua_Wehiwa.html

There are some interesting "connections" between this song, the passage that Agatha quotes from in the pageant, and other aspects of the episode.

Agatha quotes from Robert Louis Stevenson's In the South Seas. This essay collection recounts his voyages in the south pacific, including Hawaii. During his stay in Hawaii, Stevenson became close friends with King David Kalakaua and his niece Princess Victoria Kaiulani. In the 1970s, Palani Vaughan was involved in a music project that chronicled King David Kalakaua's music and times. The Victoria Keyes/Princess Kahiwalani character surely must be derived from Princess Victoria Kaiulani. Great attention to detail by the writer/producers to tie all this together.

It's good to see our old friend Branscombe Richmond back in the game in his usual "enforcer" role, along with longtime stuntman Dick Durock!

Icepick's house appeared to be the same one used in "The People vs. Orville Wright", but it was hard to tell for sure.

And you can add another defensive move to Higgins' arsenal - "The Trip of Impairment"! Hehe!

Season Eight is rocking and rolling so far! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

Nice background info, James.

This one feels like it was heavily recycled from previous episodes, but it's still a fairly entertaining story. As noted, one of the most interesting elements is Magnum's altered perception of the photograph. A really nice touch. I also like the fact that Magnum is 'hired' by a dead woman- and as her final act on Earth, no less!

It helps that Victoria has quite an exotic beauty about her, which somehow lends credibility to the whole idea of "love out of time". Can you really blame Magnum for wanting to believe it could true? :wink:
Last edited by Shermy on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eeyore
Admiral

#9 Post by eeyore »

My imagination playing tricks on me again! :) I thought he called her to ask about family history.
Thanks for the recap. The Insight Guide I bought 20 plus years ago had a nice history, as I recall. Plus of course Mitchner's Hawaii! :)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#10 Post by rubber chicken »

Sad news to report: I believe the the home which "was built for Princess Kahiwalani" was torn down in 2002 (originally built in 1922). I don't have absolute proof, but a number of clues make me very confident that this location is correct. Two of the more obvious clues are the driveway and the position of the mountains and ridges seen in the show, but there are a number of other clues which also confirm the place.

The home is located less than 1,000 feet north of the home used for the residence of Carol Baldwin's mother, Abigail Baldwin, in The Love That Lies (the next episode after this one - 8.6). That home is now known as College Hill, but both homes were built in the College Hills tract (linked from this page), the name of a small area of land in Manoa Valley which was being developed in the early 1900s.

Image Image

If you care to see the area, take a look at this photo from Round Top. (To find the property click "Original" to enlarge the image, then from the very left side of Diamond Head look directly downward past the larger buildings (of the University of Hawaii) and the large area of trees. Below this, a small stand of pine trees in the sunny part of the photo is visible. The home was directly left of these (a new home was built in the same approximate location). Part of the large yard is seen.)

Here's the area of the property cropped out to help in recognition:

The home now known as College Hill can also be seen in the picture, a short ways to the right and up, starting from the Princess Kahiwalani house:

And here is David Kaimi's quote about the house and where Victoria Keyes might be...
"Oma'oma'o Valley" [green valley]

"A house was built for Princess Kahiwalani and her husband. It was never lived in. William Keyes said his wife was obsessed with restoring it and living in it. He said she wanted to recreate Kahiwalani's life."
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

RC,

WOW! But you're right -- so sad! I just hate it when historic houses are torn down.

But love the print of the tract of "magnificent residence S-U-B-R-U-B" [sic] for College Hill! SL, chalk on blackboard!! :lol: :lol:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#12 Post by rubber chicken »

Maybe in the old days that's how it was. :P

You say suburban, I say subruban, hehe.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#13 Post by Italian Ice »

Does anyone know if Gladice Shippell (or however it's spelt) is a real author of Hawaiian History? Couldn't find anything online so I assume it's made up. It's in the scene where TM sees Higgins after getting beaten up

"The Islands foremost expert on Hawaiian History" as TM reads on the book that Higgins is hiding. I wonder if anyone can recommend a well known book on Hawaiian history?
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

Italian Ice wrote:I wonder if anyone can recommend a well known book on Hawaiian history?

I would highly recommend a book by James Michener titled Hawaii. It is a novel, but he does meticulous research and you learn about the history of the Islands in an entertaining way. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Novel-Jame ... 115&sr=8-2

Here's another Amazon link you might be interested in:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url ... &x=14&y=14

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

Italian Ice wrote:I wonder if anyone can recommend a well known book on Hawaiian history?
I too would recommend Hawaii by James Michener. It's amazing. My favorite book.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)