1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 100

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#16 Post by SelleckLover »

luthergillis wrote:
Were there white people in Hawaii before WW2 ?
The answer to this question is "Yes." I know this because my half brother was born there in 1938. In The Hawaiian Islands, a caucasian person is known as a haole (pronounced how-lee). My half-brother's father was in the military and they resided on the big island.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#17 Post by IslandHopper »

lutherhgillis wrote:Were there white people in Hawaii before WW2 ?
White Christians began to inhabit the Hawaiian Island in the 1820s. Sailors before 1820s. One of my favorite all time books is Hawaii by James Michener, which, although a novel, depicts the rich history of the Hawaiian Islands and their people. If you are a fan of Hawaii this book is a must read. This famous book is also mentioned in "All Thieves On Deck."
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Lily »

Have just watched this episode for the first time, and was wondering if any of the car buffs here, can tell me what make of car was used in this episode? Strange shape at the back and just too small for TS.

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#19 Post by higgybaby1 »

I was wondering the same thing about the car, perhaps whose it is?

Its clearly a Bugatti, looks to me like a 1927 37A...unsure[/quote]
OH MY GAWD!

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Lily »

Thanks higgybaby! Have checked back periodically to see if anyone else knows the make. Perhaps it is as you say?

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by higgybaby1 »

its sure a late 20's, early 30's bugatti. Ive seen plenty at Concours events but never quite that color or exact style. I wonder where they ever found it...

I wish I could post my image of one but I cant figure it out!
OH MY GAWD!

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Lily »

higgybaby1 wrote:its sure a late 20's, early 30's bugatti. Ive seen plenty at Concours events but never quite that color or exact style. I wonder where they ever found it...

I wish I could post my image of one but I cant figure it out!
Well at least you have come up with the make! Thanks! :D

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#23 Post by rubber chicken »

I found out the Bette Davis movie Magnum sees in the theater is The Bad Sister. It was her first film. It was also only Humphrey Bogart's fifth, although he isn't seen in the clips.

It came out in 1931, five years before 1936, when this Magnum P.I. episode is supposed to take place. The timeframe might be a bit of a goof, unless that theater was reshowing the film. I don't know how often that happened back then.

The imdb page for Davis says "her performance in The Bad Sister (1931) didn't impress". And Magnum says to Bette on screen "Keep it up, old Girl. You just might have a future as an actress." By 1932 she had became a star.

She was with Universal studios first (the studio that created Magnum, P.I.), where she made The Bad Sister, and went to Warner Brothers in 1932, where she found success.

The Bad Sister isn't on dvd, but her outfit in the image below is the same as the one in a picture on the wiki page. And also the name Laura is heard in the episode, and that's her name in the film.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#24 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This episode was interesting and very fast-paced. Loved every minute of it.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Another great ep; the series was really on a roll at this time. A shorter review on this ep, but it doesn’t mean that I like it any less.

[rating 9.5]

Magnum is sure Higgins is pulling an elaborate stunt on him when he awakes in what seems to be 1936, and takes a case of a dame in trouble, whose union leader father is accused of murder. A memorable episode…

-----

This review contains moderate spoilers.

The high quality of the third season continues with this novel episode. It was quite daring to pull of such a story, and it probably wouldn’t have worked before this point.

This episode reminds me a lot of Bellisario’s later hit ‘Quantum Leap’ (about a man travelling through time); in fact, I’m quite surprised that Bellisario didn’t pen this story.
The story is very well shot, and – considering the meagre budget of a standard TV episode – captures the era very well indeed.

Magnum’s case itself is rather so-so, but in such a novel episode this can just about be overlooked. I enjoy seeing the 1930s versions of Higgins, Rick (who is very reminiscent of how he appeared in the Pilot), and particularly T.C.

So is it a dream, or how did Magnum end up in the past? Indications would suggest that it’s a dream, but then there are other things that put this in doubt… I really like that it is never definitely decided one way or the other.

All-in-all, this is a very memorable episode, and manages to pull of what might have been a dodgy premise with style.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* When Magnum falls over the cliff at the end of his ‘dream’, it is quite clearly a dummy falling into the ocean.

* All but the last commercial break are abridged in the DVD version of this episode.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#26 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

Why TC wears glasses in 1936 and not in 1982 :?
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Jaybird
Admiral

#27 Post by Jaybird »

I really did not anticipate this episode becoming one of my favorites. However, I gave it a 9.5 surprising even myself. I thought the acting was superb. The interactions between TM and Higgins were splendid. The humor was there as was the cinematography. Entertainment value was excellent! Just a great episode!

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#28 Post by robspace54 »

Interesting epoisode and one of the best Magnum stories in my book. A real honest-to-goodness bar fight too! And TC can certainly hold his own, Magnum only getting in a couple punches. Unshot dialog, spoken by tough guy on floor, "Man that Joe Lewis can sure throw a punch." And the smooth way that TM gets into the club is perfect - and is this the first time where we hear that TC is no a non-drinker (unlike the show lead showing him with a beer)?

I noticed that the roadster had tires with a modern profile, tread, and width, unlike the skinny tires of the early 30's. Also the wheels were steel cutout wheels, unlike the wire spoke wheels which would have been used then.

When TC and TM shake hands at the airport (TC looking extremely fit in the bib overalls) it looks like TC is wearing a Vietnam era "remeber a serviceman" bracelet on his right wrist.

The line "I only let people kill me once" is memorable. But how did TM know where to look for the letters in the cottage? Must have been his little voice. Like the ghost story of season two, a deeper mystery than typical.

Rob
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

All About the Stache
Lieutenant

#29 Post by All About the Stache »

Wow, I guess this is a very well-liked episode to most fans. I thought it was "pretty good" and rated it that way. I'm usually not a fan of these dream-episodes that shows sometimes produce. But since this episode mixed the dream stuff with real life events, it made up for it and overall I enjoyed it.
Magnum: Ivan...
Ivan: Yes?
Magnum: Did you see the sunrise this morning?
Ivan: Yes... Why?
*BANG*

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#30 Post by ThomasMagnum »

I found another Hawaii Five-O Prop! I'm not sure if this is the only MPI episode in which this painting appears (I could be wrong but I think it's the HMS Endeavour) but I did notice it in this episode.

From Hawaii Five-O 4.4