Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

#1 Post by rubber chicken »

As people here know, I've been searching for Magnum P.I. filming locations for awhile now. It's an enjoyable hobby for me, as it combines a few things I enjoy, namely Magnum P.I., working with maps, online investigation etc. Finding a difficult location with only the little information provided in the show gives me satisfaction, believe it or not. :)

Of course finding Magnum P.I. locations is greatly helped by the show taking place on a small island with many unique features. I'm not sure I'd care to do all this if the show had been based in LA, and I know it would be much more difficult. I also enjoy coming across so much interesting information about Oahu while trying to find a location. It's a fascinating place with it's own very unique history.

As I've said elsewhere, this project is a work in progress and is not near being completed. Many individual Placemarks are completed however, with screenshots, links and info etc. about the particular place. These are what I've been making lately, since I started to learn how write in KML (similar to HTML). Placemarks which I made before knowing KML are simply compact text blurbs, but have much of the same information. Some of these probably have notes to myself which I'm going to use when I go back and finish them in KML.

A few disclaimers:
- There may be rather obvious locations which don't have placemarks yet, as I've concentrated more on finding new locations.
- A small handful of episodes have nearly all the locations which were used in that particular episode, but most episodes have only a few locations, and there's many episodes which I haven't had the chance to get to yet at all.
- I have screenshots for dozens of additional places which I know the location of, but haven't yet added to Google Earth due to lack of time. But they'll be added eventually.

In total right now there are 330 individual placemarks, obviously many more locations than have been posted in the forums here. Many of these are minor locations, but there are a number of more interesting ones which you can look for, such as homes of certain characters etc. Included are locations which James, Sam and others have pointed out, and I've tried to note that and give credit in those particular placemarks.

OK, so now to actually view all this for yourselves. If you don't already have the Google Earth application, you'll need to go here to download. (Just push the "Agree and Download" button.)

Once you have Google Earth installed, click on the .kmz link below, which will download a small .kmz file to your computer. Then double click that file and Google Earth will launch and should rotate the globe and zoom in on Oahu. Click on the arrow to the left of "Magnum P.I. locations.kmz" in the "Places" window at the left of the screen to reveal the list of locations, organized mainly by episode number and name. In the "Layers" window (below the "Places" window) uncheck everything other than "Terrain" or you'll have unnecessary clutter in the map window. If your computer is older you may even want to turn off terrain to see if that speeds things up, but try to leave it on if possible.

EDIT - Here is the new .kmz file:
10.02.2018 - Magnum P.I. locations 1.6.kmz
Version 1.6 details in this post.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:47 am, edited 7 times in total.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by MPS »

Wow, Rubber Chicken, that is one of the most amazing (and fun) things I have ever seen!! Bravo!

I'll be using it quite a bit. :D :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Quigley Down Under
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by Quigley Down Under »

Nice work rubber chicken! Going to invest a lot of time searching this!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Miss Q »

Holy cow! nice job!!!
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

TOTALLY AWESOME!!! That is the most impressive accumulation of MPI detail for locations, characters, actions, episodes, PLUS screenshots to illustrate how the location was used I've ever seen! Of course, I've never actually seen anything like it anyway, so it's a first. But, wow!! What a first! Completely amazing -- and WONDERFULLY done!

Tom Selleck and crew should see THIS!!!

James, is there anyway to make this a permanent link on the site so anyone joining (or lurking, in case some of our heros may lurk [in our dreams!]) can access it without having to search through the Forum posts? This is worthy of worldwide web distribution, in my opinion.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice work RC!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, fantastic job rubber chicken!! This truly is an amazing piece of work! 300+ filming locations, many with detailed placemarks that include descriptions, pics, MM episode guide and forum links, and other web links! Unbelievable! :shock:

You better believe I'll be adding this to the site.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, Rubber Chicken...it is clear that this is truly a labor of love! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

Holy Chit RC,absolutely fantastic job...

I'm looking for a location not related to MPI.I do know it's somewhere on the North Shore of Oahu.So maybe if you find the time you could help me out...Here is the link to the location...Thanks!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... iginal.jpg
Last edited by Sam on Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PhatCat
Admiral

#10 Post by PhatCat »

That's great RC. Can't believe how many details you've put in there. really nice.

BR

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Coops »

For this work you deserve a free membership to Magnum Mania! In fact, I'll pay for it!

EXCELLENT work, amazing!

:D

Jaybird
Admiral

#12 Post by Jaybird »

I am overwhelmed! Thank you for providing hours of internet fun.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

Wow! Absolutely amazing..........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

In looking at all these filming locations (they sure covered a lot of Oahu ground!), I'm surprised they never filmed anything on the west (or SW) side of the island.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

I went looking for your location.

It was a dirty job, but somebody had to do it.

At first, I thought it might be somewhere on this estate.

But, alas, no, it wasn't there.

But I found that it is part of the landscaping at Turtle Bay Estate on the North Shore, and it is here:

I promise!!

I'm not as good as rubberchicken, but this was just too easy to locate on Google Earth.

:lol:
golf
"Portside, buddy."